Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2012, 04:59 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Price sounds too cheap?

Hi
I'm a fairly new forum member and shoot a K-5.

I was just browsing a second hand item website here in Australia and came across a listing for a 645D with 55mm lens for AUD$3400!?!
8700 shutter count.
As I said, I don't know much about medium format...but that seems really underpriced, right?
The link below...
Pentax 645D | Digital Cameras | Gumtree Australia Subiaco Area - Subiaco

Same website, and there is a Leica S2, which I no really nothing about, for AUD$4400 with a few accessories, flash, 70mm lens etc.
Again, the link...
Leica S2 37.5 MP digital camera | Digital Cameras | Gumtree Australia Brisbane South West - South Brisbane

Not sure if I'm missing something, but it looks like these would both be a bargain at twice the price!
I'm not looking to drop $8000 on a couple of cameras...

I should say I'm not associated with the sellers in anyway...don't want this to sound like a pitch.

Anyway, just sharing.
Cheers
Dean

11-22-2012, 06:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Looks like the 645D has been taken down...wonder if it sold or if the seller had second thoughts...
11-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Buy it right now!
11-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
Forum Member

That is too cheap. Be cautious with this kind of websites and offers. I wouldn't buy anything from these sellers. The prices are way off from what is usually paid.

11-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Gumtree Australia has been implicated in the listing of stolen goods, everything from cars to televisions to cameras to iPads. It's lax approach to ensuring goods are of reputable sourcing is the main problem.

And so, the first precaution is to be certain of the items' providence; large numbers of cameras of all formats are stolen around Australia every day, largely due to the carelessness of the owners, Steve Parish being a recent notable example with a Hasselblad H5 and several Nikons stolen from his locked car left out on the street overnight (all items recovered by Police). Talk about making it easy-peasy for the pinchers...

Serial numbers should be listed of all photographic equipment for sale to enable checks against databases where goods have been reported as stolen. Next step is to actually examine the equipment — never rely on written descriptions or Seller undertakings as to condition, function, warranty, recent or required repairs. The only time you should trust the Seller is when you have established a long time rapport with him/her (as many photographers on eBay, myself included, have done over 10 years or so). Buying camera equipment from auction sites is a major risk, financial and personal, when and where you cannot be sure of providence. The last thing you want is to be carted off to the cells for Handling Stolen Goods, a charge that is very serious indeed.

I do not consider the 645 to be an ideal introduction to medium format because of the level of technology that ultimately distracts from the essential business of you creating the image with the camera, not through it.
11-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yep...solid advice and a great explanation of the risks of the secondhand market.
The old maxim generally stands, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."
Cheers
Dean