Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #1

Help with 645 malfunction

Hi! My account is new here, but I've been using my Pentax 645 (the original) for a while and the resources on this forum have always helped out.

I'm hoping that someone's able to help out with a new malfunction in my camera. What happens is that every shot, the camera acts as if the batteries are dead. When it first happened, I manually advanced the camera and replaced the batteries, but the problem happened again.

Now, for every shot, the film doesn't advance and the mirror stays flipped up until manually advanced. It sounds like the shutter speeds are accurate, and the metering and other features are all working, only the film advance and mirror flip-up are failing.

If anyone has any help, it would be very appreciated! I hope it's just me doing something wrong. Thanks

11-26-2012, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Branden, does the LCD stay on and show you your settings on top, or does it go blank as well? It sounds a lot like a low voltage issue, perhaps caused by dirty contacts in the battery compartment. Check for corrosion on any contacts and make sure that none of the metal contact tabs are bent. Good luck.
11-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you, I will try that and report back
11-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Branden, does the LCD stay on and show you your settings on top, or does it go blank as well? It sounds a lot like a low voltage issue, perhaps caused by dirty contacts in the battery compartment. Check for corrosion on any contacts and make sure that none of the metal contact tabs are bent. Good luck.
I agree, this sounds exactly like a low voltage issue, just like when the batteries are nearly dead. Yes, the LCD on top stays on, and the metering in the viewfinder works as well.

Ok, I removed the grip and battery compartment, and cleaned all the contacts with isopropanol. Nothing inside looked bent. Replaced it all, same error. If this is a wiring issue internal to the camera, what are my options? Does anyone offer repair/rebuild services for these cameras any more? Or is it cheaper just to get another?

Thanks for your help!

11-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I had one battery holder start that and still doing the same thing after cleaning, I slightly sprung/stretched out the contacts in the holder and the problem disappeared.
12-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you can't fix it easily by cleaning or bending the contacts I would just get another one. i've owned 4 of them and never paid more than $50. No one will do a repair for that price.