Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Lens hood for P645 35mm lens

Anyone looking for a very good quality metal hood for your 35mm lens......I can highly recommend this one. I received it on Friday....it's very nicely made! Good price too.

Amazon.com: Bluecell 77mm Wide angle Metal Lens Hood protector for DSLR camera + Bluecell Cable Tie: Camera & Photo

Gary

12-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting - thanks for the tip!

I would like to find a hood for this lens that is optimal for use on the 645D. The crop factor means that one can get away with a longer hood. I have tried ones intended for standard lenses - they vignette. The generic ones for wide angles I have found look wider (shorter) than they could be for optimal benefit. Can anyone suggest a lens of the quality of the one Gary has found but which is an optimal size & shape for the 35mm on a 645D?

Thanks!

Ed
12-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Ed. Does the 35mm lens, when mounted on the P645D, have a FOV approximately equivalent to a 45mm P645 lens? If so, I think that's about the same as a 28mm lens on a 35mm camera. So I think a "wide angle" lens hood is still required.....but maybe this one would be worth a look.

Adorama MLH77 77mm Metal Lens Hood MLH77

Or for a lot more money.....this B+H hood

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=11201&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Gary
12-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #4

I use the 35mm A manual focus lens often. Here is the hood I use. It is a 77mm tulip clip on, does not vignette, even when used with a UV filter. Brand name Pearstone from B&H. Highly recommendeed
Dave in NJ

Attached Images

12-26-2012, 12:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So -- as a new 645N owner, enlighten me -- first, do you HAVE to have a lens hood with the 35mm lens (21mm equiv on the 645N)? Or can you just shield the sun with your hand?
Then... IF you need a lens hood, which of the above would work best on the 645N... where that 35mm lens becomes an ultra-wide?

Just realized that the 645D sensor is actually much smaller than the 645N negative size... so it's a little bit like comparing apples and oranges, isn't it?

Last question -- in the picture above, there are triangular cut-outs on the lens-hood barrel. I've seen this before in pictures of other lens hoods. Is there a reason, or is it just a style? If it would work, I think I'd probably prefer the Bluecell mentioned in the first post -- just because it's smaller. Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by jon404; 12-26-2012 at 12:49 AM.
12-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #6

I use the Pearstone hood with the 645D, where there is, indeed, a crop factor. It my vignette on a film camera. I have no way of checking.
Dave
12-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Another question. Are medium-format cameras subject to more lens flare than cameras with smaller lenses, like 35mms, APS-Cs, and point-'n-shoots? Or is lens flare caused by lens design? Lastly, do wide-angle lens get more lens flare than telephotos? Must confess I didn't do that well in high-school physics, particularly optics!

12-28-2012, 02:14 AM   #8

Original Poster
I didn't realize that the bayonet/clip on style lens hood would fit on the 35mm A series lens....I thought only a screw in hood would fit. I'll order one of the Pearstone hoods and report back re possible vignetting on a 645N.
12-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by gurtch Quote
I use the Pearstone hood with the 645D, where there is, indeed, a crop factor. It my vignette on a film camera. I have no way of checking.
Dave
Is this the one Pearstone LHN-HB39 Dedicated Lens Hood (HB-39) LHN-HB39 B&H

Thank you in advance.
12-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slau Quote
I was just about to order this lens hood from B&H and then I decided to take a closer look at my 35mm SMCP-A lens. I don't see any way that a bayonet, clip on lens hood can fit on the A (manual focus) 35mm lens. There are no bayonet lock groves for it to snap/click onto. From what I can see, only a screw in lens hood would work. So before I order it, I'd like someone to confirm how this or a similar clip on hood would attach to the 35mm A series lens.

Gary
12-30-2012, 11:36 PM   #11

Yes, I also noticed there are nothing on my 35mm A lens barrel to hold onto a bayonet hood, like those on my other FA lenses.

Btw, I have a cheapie plastic pedal type screw-on lens hood that looks like the one recommended by burtch. The lens hood works well with my 35A on 645D, but it is a pain to put it on and off. Eventually, I just left the lens hood most of the time. Still looking for a better one.
12-31-2012, 06:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Gary -- got a Bluecell 77mm today, after reading your first post above. Low cost, works perfectly... screws right onto any filter I have on the lens, or onto the lens itself. May give a bit of extra protection, too. But I don't think it will stop lens flare resulting from my penchant to have the sun in the picture. Being in Southern California, maybe I need to bring along a noted psychic, or a self-improvement guru, to knock out the flare. We'll see!

A note to anyone interested -- Amazon has shockingly fast delivery of any item they stock themselves, or that they stock themselves on behalf of other vendors. And they are experimenting with same-day delivery right now, in San Francisco. An excellent company.
01-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is possible to use a generic lens hood which has a ø77 screw on ring on with a bayonet type lens hood that fixes onto that ring (reversible); I have a JJC reversible lens hood for my 35mm on the 645N. It is a matter of precision, as I look through the viewfinder, if the long extensions are horizontal, there's no vignetting, if slightly diagonal then there is. See digitalmediastore: 77mm Reversible Screw-in Lens Hood
Unfortunately my scanner has been in storage for many many months now, and my dark room still awaits transportation, so I have no way to check this on the actual film results (the viewfinder not being 100% it is no absolute guarantee).
The triangular cut-outs help with removing vignetting from the corners, if aligned correctly.
01-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

"The triangular cut-outs help with removing vignetting from the corners, if aligned correctly..."

Thanks Smolk... I've always wondered about the cut-outs... the design makes sense now!
01-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I bought one of those hoods from amazon as well, nicely made. Order three other ones from him as well, so I got the "free shipping". All are nice hoods.