Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
645D IR version... for museums?

From the press release: "The camera is designed for research companies, museums, libraries and specialized law enforcement units such as CSI units. General consumers will not be the intended target for the "PENTAX 645D IR".
And at a production of 100 a year, they won't be able to get them.

For a bit more see the very brief press release.

And this application of the concept.

At least Ricoh consistently sees the value in removing parts (IR filter, AA filter) and selling the same camera as a "new version!"

12-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

There was no AA filter to begin with

But here it clearly says the IR filter is removed but on the main page here some think there is an IR filter placed inside to take IR photos but that gladly isnt the case.
12-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
From the press release: "The camera is designed for research companies, museums, libraries and specialized law enforcement units such as CSI units. General consumers will not be the intended target for the "PENTAX 645D IR".
And at a production of 100 a year, they won't be able to get them.

For a bit more see the very brief press release.

And this application of the concept.

At least Ricoh consistently sees the value in removing parts (IR filter, AA filter) and selling the same camera as a "new version!"
Notice how it's being announced by RIcoh, not Pentax Ricoh- this camera isn't going to be sold to consumers. Definitely seems like it will be useful for forensics, though I also think this means that the potential successor is farther out than we think..

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Doesnt have to, those market don't want the cutting edge but they want something reiable that works.

12-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm not sure how I feel about police taking my portraits with Pentax cameras, it might make things awkward But its good to see that Pentax will be used for professional purposes, even outside classical photography. I hope this isn't where Pentax is headed, though. I want them to mostly design consumer and pro photographer gear, not just tools for other industries.
12-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
There was no AA filter to begin with
Sorry, you missed it. I was referring to the removal of the AA filter from the K-5II.

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I hope this isn't where Pentax is headed, though. I want them to mostly design consumer and pro photographer gear, not just tools for other industries.
It isn't where Pentax is headed (at least, not now that the procto-scope division is gone), rather this is where Ricoh already is. They already have a big legal and forensic division, and this adds imaging to the mix for relatively little investment. Just interesting that it's medium-format!

Last edited by panoguy; 12-14-2012 at 12:09 PM.
12-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sorry you missed the wink

12-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A possible spin-off from the legal/forensic side -- recent rumors have it that the 645D-IR can 'see' through clothing, which may make it quite popular with airport screeners and certain advanced amateurs.
12-23-2012, 06:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
ertain advanced amateurs.
lol you mean perverts? I'm just joking around, I'm sure IR has many uses.
I have seen some IR photography and its quite cool, but most of what I saw was landscape images with heavy processing. I'm pretty interested to see how this camera will actually perform. It would be neat if the Pentax Forums got their hands on one to make a review and upload some raw output
12-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
It would be neat if the Pentax Forums got their hands on one to make a review and upload some raw output
It would but with only 100 being made i think only musea and the police would get them
12-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
It would but with only 100 being made i think only musea and the police would get them
So we should mail the museums and tell them to do it for us
It would be a great entry on the camera reviews section and an ad for the museum/researchers.
12-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I mean it's a bit pointless to review it since no mortal will get it.
12-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Could stimulate the economy (oops, the Japanese economy) if they give one to every TSA agent.

"Now, Barbie, we're going to take a few quick photos..."

Seriously, would be very useful for high-end galleries and museums. Quick fake detection -- like where the forger starts with a low-value painting on truly old canvas... overpainting it with his copy of a very valuable artwork. Won't have any trouble at all selling 100 of them.

On my old cameras, I had to focus a little differently for infrared. I guess they would have the AF re-calibrated?

Last edited by jon404; 12-27-2012 at 01:32 AM.