Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
6X7 TTL Prism -is speed dial adapter ring needed?

Calling all experienced 6x7 users:

I'm putting together a kit of 6X7 gear and a recently ordered a used "early" TTL prism from KEH. It's still in the post, but upon reading the manual, the installation mentions an adapter ring to go over the shutter speed dial. I'm sure the meter I bought doesn't have one, and the bugger seems to cost 40-50 dollars everywhere I've seen it available.

Question: do I REALLY need one to make things work, or can I still turn the speed dial with some extra effort? I got the prism for what I think was a good price, but that advantage goes away quickly if I have to drop 40+ to get things working.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

12-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote

I'm putting together a kit of 6X7 gear and a recently ordered a used "early" TTL prism from KEH. It's still in the post, but upon reading the manual, the installation mentions an adapter ring to go over the shutter speed dial. I'm sure the meter I bought doesn't have one, and the bugger seems to cost 40-50 dollars everywhere I've seen it available.

Question: do I REALLY need one to make things work, or can I still turn the speed dial with some extra effort? I got the prism for what I think was a good price, but that advantage goes away quickly if I have to drop 40+ to get things working.

You need the shutter dial adapter to turn the shutter dial on the camera body, which will be covered by the ttl prism. It would be very awkward to use without the missing part and may not work properly without it.

Phil..
12-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Yes, it is a pain to use without the adapter. Some people have made one out of the plastic top of an old 35mm film can. KEH is a bit ridiculous on their pricing for the adapter. The last TTL prism I bought included the adapter. It was from the National Camera Exchange.
12-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The knurled ring is easily lost. I haven't lost mine yet because I rarely, if at all, remove the TTL prism.
In the event of no ring, use a rubber 'O' ring matched to the diameter of the dial. Better still, fit two 'O' rings over it. Just the right amount of grip provided and cheap and cheerful to replace as needed.

12-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
I've "smushed" a ring from epoxy putty. If you stretch a piece of plastic wrap of the dial and apply your properly prepared epoxy over the dial and as it hardens, you can cut off anything that is in the way, you'll end up with a ring...

12-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

On my 6x7 I have used it without that ring. It's do-able.
12-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am delighted with these creative ideas and solutions! Now, I'm looking forward to the challenge of doing this without having to invest in a ring! Thanks for the ideas and photos, I'll try a couple of these and see what works best!
12-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #8

Hello

I bought my 67 with TTL and w/o that ring too - it is possibel, but not as confortable to use.
With some patience you can find that ring cheaper - I payed ~ 25€ via ebay.

12-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Curses!

Rats, KEH just cancelled my order for a metered prism, claiming "inventory error." That's code for someone bought it before they got around to filling my order.

I guess I'll post a request in the Wanteds section of the forum ... sigh.
04-19-2016, 07:39 AM   #10

I recently bought a 67 camera ( \o/ ) and it arrived without this shutter speed adapter ring. I'm going to try to model a ring and have it printed. In the town, I live I found a 3D printer service: ~0,7 $/1 cm^3. Sounds like a cheap solution. ^^ I hope that I can manage it. If I succeed I'll show the results and share the printable file.
04-20-2016, 12:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The expoxy putty-fashioned ring (MysteryOnion) is a novel solution!

Last edited by Silent Street; 04-20-2016 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
04-20-2016, 02:49 AM   #12

I was pretty sure that not I'm the first person who came up with this idea. >Click<
04-20-2016, 07:34 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote

I have three 6x7 bodies, two have the TTL finder, one has the shutter adaptor ring the other does not. They both work just fine, just a little more awkward to use. That said make sure you test the TTL prism as they do have a habit of failing.

MK