Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
6x7 newbie - simple operational question

Hi,

I bought an older 6x7 MLU body, some VFs and a lens from another on this forum. The camera has a few quirks, so I have a couple of operational questions that I'd like to ask ... the manuals are not very clear on how they are to work. I'd like to know if this behavior is expected, or the camera was sicker than originally described.

First advancing film: The film advance system seems to be smooth and issue free, but I noted that unlike any other film camera I've ever used, the advance lever does NOT lock when get to the next frame. If I were to simply keep pulling the lever I could pull the the entire unexposed roll through the camera without firing a shot. Is that how it is supposed to work? I ask because every 35 SLR I've ever used will lock on the next frame and not advance until the shutter is tripped.

Second, bulb mode: When using bulb mode, the camera will trip the shutter when pressing the shutter button, but it will NOT release the shutter when the button is released. I have to rotate the shutter speed dial to make it close. Is this the expected behavior, or is that a problem with the camera?

12-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not 100% sure but I do have the original 6x7 body (non-MLU) and those 2 behaviors do not sound right to me. On mine with either 120 or 220 film (note that they need to be positioned to different starting locations when loading see the manual for that), you advance the film until it stops when first loading. Then is should only advance the film one frame until the end per shot.

On bulb mode, and I use a cable release for that, the shutter stays open only as long as the shutter is held open.

That's what I'd expect. What your experiencing does not sound normal.
12-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian

A problem on both issues.

The behavior of your bulb sounds like the special, not obvious, feature the camera has. When the shutter speed dial is set half way between 1/1000 and X, it will lock open the the shutter when you press the shutter button and stay open until you rotate the shutter speed dial off that setting. This feature is most useful for very long exposures or when you have the 90mm LS lens on in pure leaf shutter mode.
12-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #4

Look like tuco answer your question about B problem, even I do not know Pentax 6x7 has that function !

About the levelling, it looks weird. The Pentax 6x7 non-MLU I am have, you can level the trigger always, but when the shutter curtain is rolled (as it is ready for one shot) you can level the trigger as many time as you like, but it is loose and definitely the film roll could not be pull !

12-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks, all!

Thanks for your replies, the original seller has already remedied the situation and this camera will soon be looked after by Eric. I'm looking forward to issue-free 6x7 shooting!

Regards