Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #1

Never lend your 645D out

A guy lent his 645D to a friend, and the guy returns with.... ... see attached photo.

Attached Images

12-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wouldn't lend my K10D to my best friend, and if I was rich enough to own a 645 and lenses for it I certainly wouldn't lend it out.

So, is this guy going to replace it, or cover the cost of repairs?
12-23-2012, 11:26 PM   #3

Original Poster
Well, I will find out when I have more updates from him.... Camera is like your wife, NO LEND
12-23-2012, 11:42 PM - 1 Like   #4

Accidents happen.

Friendships, if we are lucky, last a lifetime. A camera can be fixed/repaired.

C'est la vie!

12-23-2012, 11:56 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

People don't respect what isn't theirs, as simple as that IMO!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
People don't respect what isn't theirs, as simple as that IMO!
Really?

People lend me their photographic equipment from time to time and it often goes back in back in better condition then when it came to me.

I guess it just comes down to your view on life...optimism vs pessimism. The more I choose to be an optimist the easier and better life just seems to be! Life as a pessimist is just too hard on the soul and not realistic in my not so humble opinion.
12-24-2012, 03:13 AM   #7
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Could be just bad luck, but you ain't happy with this when happening.

12-24-2012, 03:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ok, maybe I'm dumb, but... what's wrong with it?
12-24-2012, 03:34 AM   #9

As my father said about his car 'it is there to serve me, not the other way round'. He didn't lend his car very often though...
12-24-2012, 04:32 AM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The dented Pentax logo is an indication of some sort of drop or mishandling. It really depends on the person your lending it to. I know people I would happily lend my most valued gear to, and others yet, as nice as they are, I'd never trust anything with.
12-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
12-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #12
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
When all I had was the film camera a co-worker had one of those gigantic telephoto lenses, you know the kind, 3 feet long, weighs 60lbs, and you carry it around in a large home made plywood box that looks kinda like a coffin. (It really was about 3 feet long, but only felt like it weighed 60lbs after you carried it around for a while)

I think it was this lens:

He knew I went down to Portland every June for the champ car races and offered to let me "borrow" it to try and get some closeup shots. You see, I was never able to get a press pass so I could get up real close like the pros.

So I gave it a go.

Before I left for the weekend I took the thing out to give it a once over, be sure it was clean, mount it to the camera and tripod, check the range, etc. What a monster!

It was in pristine condition, the glass was spotless, and the box was done by someone who knew how to work with wood. A top drawer setup for sure.

So I went to the races, found a few spots to set up and snapped up a roll of film. Since I wouldn't know what I got until I got the film processed I finished out the weekend with the usual shots, mostly in the paddock getting pit action.

When I got the film developed I found that most of the pictures came out pretty good, but I would need more practice panning with such a long and bulky lens.

I returned the lens to my co-worker in the same condition as I picked it up. I asked the guy what camera he had, and was surprised to find out that he didn't have one! So I asked him why he had the lens but no camera. Apparently he had a roommate years earlier who flaked out on the rent and he kicked the guy out, and this lens was among the stuff that was left behind. I offered to buy it from him but he wanted way too much for it, and there was the standing offer to borrow it anytime I wanted.

So I borrowed it a few more times, until I picked up the Sigma mirror I have and then built the rifle stock mount. And I always treated it as I would my own gear, and returned it in the same condition it was in when I picked it up.

But I was also afraid that each time something would happen to it and I would wind up having to buy it from the guy.
12-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Camera still looks good enough to use at his friends funeral.
12-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neil Quote
Really?

People lend me their photographic equipment from time to time and it often goes back in back in better condition then when it came to me.

I guess it just comes down to your view on life...optimism vs pessimism. The more I choose to be an optimist the easier and better life just seems to be! Life as a pessimist is just too hard on the soul and not realistic in my not so humble opinion.
I think a lot depends on what majority does vs special exceptions ... like, maybe, you .
Depending on the person, I would or NOT lend my stuff.

Speaking of ... you want me to lend you my Ricoh Singlex TLS?
Takes great pictures once you fix it
12-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by neil Quote
Really?

well, it if it is a 8000USD gear?