Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #16
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 6,930
QuoteOriginally posted by asahijock Quote
Not strictly relevant to the OP's question, Steve but if you were carrying a changing bag and an insert cover, it would be possible to withdraw the insert without fogging, wouldn't it? However the real issue would presumably be that on its replacement into the camera, the camera would assume that it was a new film and wind it forward as it does with a new film so you'd lose a number of frames.

That presumably only leaves as a potential solution, the removal of the insert in the changing bag and while still in the bag manual rewinding of the film back to the beginning then reloading as if it were a new film and remembering to wind forward to say one frame beyond the frame you last shot.

A lot of trouble but at least it's a way of doing it or have I missed something that prevents this working?

Thanks

asahijock

I wouldn't want to do that in the field. It would get old fast and no doubt be problematic. If hot-swapping is an important feature for someone, they really should get a camera, a second one perhaps, that can do it. One of my cameras can hot-swap and it is very useful feature.

01-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #17
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 42
Original Poster
Just wanted to see if there is a 135 insert because of the fact that prior to purchasing this "new" cam of mine, i bought a lot of 135 film because I was about to buy the k1000 until... i saw this thing and the price was a real bargain.

i have been seeing other brands with 135 backs or something... thats why i wanted to know whether i simply could not find it via google or it does not really exist.

Also, I saw some scans from a medium format cam using 135 film and the image is up the guides. yes i can do that via photoshop too... but wanted something more natural. this is the reason why i wanted to try film vs my full digital setup.
01-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #18
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,233
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The 6x4.5 is small for medium format. And there is a reason to shoot 35mm film in a medium format camera. Wide panoramic aspect.
And for 645, the pano for 35mm would be fairly small indeed. Probably easier to simply shoot 645 and crop.


Steve
01-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #19
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,233
QuoteOriginally posted by asahijock Quote
Not strictly relevant to the OP's question, Steve but if you were carrying a changing bag and an insert cover, it would be possible to withdraw the insert without fogging, wouldn't it? However the real issue would presumably be that on its replacement into the camera, the camera would assume that it was a new film and wind it forward as it does with a new film so you'd lose a number of frames.

That presumably only leaves as a potential solution, the removal of the insert in the changing bag and while still in the bag manual rewinding of the film back to the beginning then reloading as if it were a new film and remembering to wind forward to say one frame beyond the frame you last shot.

A lot of trouble but at least it's a way of doing it or have I missed something that prevents this working?

Thanks

asahijock
I don't have a lot of hours with the 645 (shot several rolls about a year ago), but I think you pretty much answered your own question. The film transport is motor-driven.


Steve

01-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #20
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,233
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I wouldn't want to do that in the field. It would get old fast and no doubt be problematic. If hot-swapping is an important feature for someone, they really should get a camera, a second one perhaps, that can do it. One of my cameras can hot-swap and it is very useful feature.
Something like your Hassy, perhaps?


Steve
01-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #21
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 6,930
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
And for 645, the pano for 35mm would be fairly small indeed. Probably easier to simply shoot 645 and crop.


Steve
Almost the same as on a 6x7 camera, I suspect (6x2.4). It might be a more economical solution than an X-Pan camera if you have a good wide angle to put on it.
01-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #22
D W
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hogtown, ON, Canada
Posts: 329
QuoteOriginally posted by asahijock Quote
Not strictly relevant to the OP's question, Steve but if you were carrying a changing bag and an insert cover, it would be possible to withdraw the insert without fogging, wouldn't it? However the real issue would presumably be that on its replacement into the camera, the camera would assume that it was a new film and wind it forward as it does with a new film so you'd lose a number of frames.

That presumably only leaves as a potential solution, the removal of the insert in the changing bag and while still in the bag manual rewinding of the film back to the beginning then reloading as if it were a new film and remembering to wind forward to say one frame beyond the frame you last shot.

A lot of trouble but at least it's a way of doing it or have I missed something that prevents this working?

Thanks

asahijock
Yes it can be done like the method you have described.

However you have raise the first issue is where will the position of the frame be.
Issue number two is 120 film is rolled with backing paper. Most attempts at rewinding back to beginning would cause the film and paper to buckle(bubble) which will cause winding, film flatness problems and light leaks.
01-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #23
Site Supporter
germar's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Austin Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 728
QuoteOriginally posted by D W Quote
Yes it can be done like the method you have described.

However you have raise the first issue is where will the position of the frame be.
Issue number two is 120 film is rolled with backing paper. Most attempts at rewinding back to beginning would cause the film and paper to buckle(bubble) which will cause winding, film flatness problems and light leaks.
Like I said ... just go buy a ME Super and a couple of nice lenses and be done with it. But I do applaud those who wish to tackle the engineering challenges of such an idea.

Edit:

Found this on Ebay while searching for 6X7 stuff .... thought I share the link here since it sorta applies to the thread:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/135-120-film-adapter-Mamiya-Kiev-Hasselblad-Fuji-Pen...item3a7cce3a88


Last edited by germar; 01-07-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, medium format
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Polaroid Back for 645 JayH Pentax Medium Format 13 09-28-2011 03:56 PM
Digital back for Pentax 645 ? sir_bazz Pentax Medium Format 11 01-18-2011 02:54 PM
Contax 645 lens adapter for Pentax 645/645D? MikeSeb Pentax Medium Format 2 01-18-2011 07:47 AM
DA* 50-135 Back focusing...is it the lens, or me? azcavalier Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 06-09-2008 08:49 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:55 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top