Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asahijock Quote
Not strictly relevant to the OP's question, Steve but if you were carrying a changing bag and an insert cover, it would be possible to withdraw the insert without fogging, wouldn't it? However the real issue would presumably be that on its replacement into the camera, the camera would assume that it was a new film and wind it forward as it does with a new film so you'd lose a number of frames.

That presumably only leaves as a potential solution, the removal of the insert in the changing bag and while still in the bag manual rewinding of the film back to the beginning then reloading as if it were a new film and remembering to wind forward to say one frame beyond the frame you last shot.

A lot of trouble but at least it's a way of doing it or have I missed something that prevents this working?

Thanks

asahijock

I wouldn't want to do that in the field. It would get old fast and no doubt be problematic. If hot-swapping is an important feature for someone, they really should get a camera, a second one perhaps, that can do it. One of my cameras can hot-swap and it is very useful feature.

01-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #17

Original Poster
Just wanted to see if there is a 135 insert because of the fact that prior to purchasing this "new" cam of mine, i bought a lot of 135 film because I was about to buy the k1000 until... i saw this thing and the price was a real bargain.

i have been seeing other brands with 135 backs or something... thats why i wanted to know whether i simply could not find it via google or it does not really exist.

Also, I saw some scans from a medium format cam using 135 film and the image is up the guides. yes i can do that via photoshop too... but wanted something more natural. this is the reason why i wanted to try film vs my full digital setup.
01-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The 6x4.5 is small for medium format. And there is a reason to shoot 35mm film in a medium format camera. Wide panoramic aspect.
And for 645, the pano for 35mm would be fairly small indeed. Probably easier to simply shoot 645 and crop.

Steve
01-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Not strictly relevant to the OP's question, Steve but if you were carrying a changing bag and an insert cover, it would be possible to withdraw the insert without fogging, wouldn't it? However the real issue would presumably be that on its replacement into the camera, the camera would assume that it was a new film and wind it forward as it does with a new film so you'd lose a number of frames.

That presumably only leaves as a potential solution, the removal of the insert in the changing bag and while still in the bag manual rewinding of the film back to the beginning then reloading as if it were a new film and remembering to wind forward to say one frame beyond the frame you last shot.

A lot of trouble but at least it's a way of doing it or have I missed something that prevents this working?

Thanks

asahijock
I don't have a lot of hours with the 645 (shot several rolls about a year ago), but I think you pretty much answered your own question. The film transport is motor-driven.

Steve

01-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I wouldn't want to do that in the field. It would get old fast and no doubt be problematic. If hot-swapping is an important feature for someone, they really should get a camera, a second one perhaps, that can do it. One of my cameras can hot-swap and it is very useful feature.
Something like your Hassy, perhaps?

Steve
01-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
And for 645, the pano for 35mm would be fairly small indeed. Probably easier to simply shoot 645 and crop.

Steve
Almost the same as on a 6x7 camera, I suspect (6x2.4). It might be a more economical solution than an X-Pan camera if you have a good wide angle to put on it.
01-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #22
D W
Veteran Member

Thanks

asahijock
Yes it can be done like the method you have described.

However you have raise the first issue is where will the position of the frame be.
Issue number two is 120 film is rolled with backing paper. Most attempts at rewinding back to beginning would cause the film and paper to buckle(bubble) which will cause winding, film flatness problems and light leaks.
01-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by D W Quote
Yes it can be done like the method you have described.

However you have raise the first issue is where will the position of the frame be.
Issue number two is 120 film is rolled with backing paper. Most attempts at rewinding back to beginning would cause the film and paper to buckle(bubble) which will cause winding, film flatness problems and light leaks.
Like I said ... just go buy a ME Super and a couple of nice lenses and be done with it. But I do applaud those who wish to tackle the engineering challenges of such an idea.

Edit:

Found this on Ebay while searching for 6X7 stuff .... thought I share the link here since it sorta applies to the thread:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/135-120-film-adapter-Mamiya-Kiev-Hasselblad-Fuji-Pen...item3a7cce3a88

Last edited by germar; 01-07-2013 at 07:54 PM.