Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
The trouble with dating a 6x7 by the serial number is that the number is engraved on a part that is relatively easy to move. In the case of Germar's 6x7 it would be difficult to tell whether it truly was an early body that had been upgraded or whether it was a later body that had been damaged and the part with the serial number swapped for one from a parts body. In checking through my own 6x7 bodies (I collect them and have ten of them) I found that the serial number on my 67 is lower than on my 6x7 MLU. In this case I suspect that the 67 is in fact a 6x7 MLU which has acquired a 67 logo courtesy of a part swap. I doubt there is anything sinister going on here, the 6x7s were pro bodies and generally used heavily so it wouldn't be unusual for one to be dropped and need to have parts swapped to repair it.

Smolk: The waist level finder will work on all bodies, as will the other non-metered finders. The 6x7/67 metered finder will work on all bodes except the 67II while the 67II metered finder will only work on the 67II.

02-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Paul, thanks for the info! It remains odd that the 67 bodies are so much more expensive than the 645Ns, although the latter seem to be virtually trouble-free.
Still, I hope to try one out one day. I did notice around here in the UK that the 6x7 and 67 can be repaired in many places, but the 67II was sometimes excluded.
02-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #18
Veteran Member

There is a very, very big difference between the 67 / 6x7 and the smaller, more modern 645 bodies. The 67s are mechanically complex and fiddly to repair (mostly with cannibalised parts), vulnerable to magnet / solenoid deterioration and highly vulnerable again to dust, dirt and water penetration. In short, the 67 is a camera to avoid. But that that didn't turn me off, or millions of others who get their joy from the striking trannies glowing radiantly on the lightbox. I store my 67 away carefully when not in use, shutter uncocked. I will not be downsizing to a 645 or any other body when the 67 gives up the coast (how long is a piece of string? No idea what the future holds...); the long standing choice would to leave photography after 35 years.
02-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I finally picked up a 6x7 (MLU & most changes) cheaply as it had a broken meter chain. All else seemed good, so I sent it to Eric, who did a CLA and replaced the chain as reasonable cost. So I have little invested in it, but really like what I see so far. I previously got a Hasselblad 500 C/M and quickly saw the advantage of 120 film trying Ektra. But the 6x7 format intrigued me, as does the familiar SLR form-factor. The kicker was the low cost of older Takumar lenses for it; especially compared to Hasselblad. (The 500 goes off for CLA this week - about the same cost as Eric on the 6x7.) First roll of Portra is in the 6x7 now.