Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #1

s and c mode on 645

hi everyone!

question re my "new" camera

when it is in S mode... i can only take one shot... then turn it off and on before I can shoot again.

in C mode. this does not happen.

Is there a problem with the cam? or is it really like this?

thanks!

01-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ponggo Quote
hi everyone!

when it is in S mode... i can only take one shot... then turn it off and on before I can shoot again.

thanks!
In S mode you can't hold the button down to shoot multiple frames, but it should take another shot after you left go of the shutter button.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
hi everyone!

thanks!
In S (Single) mode you should be able to take one photo and then the film winds on for the next exposure. You have to re press the shutter button for a second exposure.

In C (Continuous) mode you should be able to take photos at the rate of about 1 per second by holding down the shutter button.

Rgards

Chris
01-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
the thing is... even if i click it again... it won't shoot... i have to turn it on and off before i can shoot again

01-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #5

Original Poster
the thing is... even if i click it again... it won't shoot... i have to turn it on and off before i can shoot again
what could possibly be the problem here?
01-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A friend of mine has a 645 that acts the same way and he hasn't found the source of the problem. The C drive mode is so slow (1 frame per second?) he generally leaves it there and just releases the button after the first shot.
01-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I would check to make sure your batteries are fresh and not overly discharged, and also that the contacts for all batteries and the camera contacts themselves are in good shape and free of corrosion. These 645s start acting really weird when they have voltage problems due to bad battery contacts.

Good luck!
01-14-2013, 11:56 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
A friend of mine has a 645 that acts the same way and he hasn't found the source of the problem. The C drive mode is so slow (1 frame per second?) he generally leaves it there and just releases the button after the first shot.
haha! same thing i did! just left it in C and since it won't do more than 1 fps, there is more than enough time to release the shutter!

did he have it checked? or he just left it that way?

01-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
I would check to make sure your batteries are fresh and not overly discharged, and also that the contacts for all batteries and the camera contacts themselves are in good shape and free of corrosion. These 645s start acting really weird when they have voltage problems due to bad battery contacts.

Good luck!
is it possible to remove the batteries even if there is film inside? won't it mess up the counter?

thanks!
01-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
Site Supporter

is it possible to remove the batteries even if there is film inside? won't it mess up the counter?

thanks!
You know, I'm not sure. I want to say the counter is probably still some sort of mechanical system that wouldn't reset by having the batteries removed, but I can't speak with authority on that. Perhaps if you're worried, finish the roll and then check your batteries and contacts. I had a holder that had obviously been stepped on during some long-forgotten batt change and was superglued back to a working condition. But the contacts were intermittent enough to cause problems (like pressing the shutter button would cause the camera to completely die) and I had to buy a new holder off of ebay to get it back working without issue.
01-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
You know, I'm not sure. I want to say the counter is probably still some sort of mechanical system that wouldn't reset by having the batteries removed, but I can't speak with authority on that. Perhaps if you're worried, finish the roll and then check your batteries and contacts. I had a holder that had obviously been stepped on during some long-forgotten batt change and was superglued back to a working condition. But the contacts were intermittent enough to cause problems (like pressing the shutter button would cause the camera to completely die) and I had to buy a new holder off of ebay to get it back working without issue.
got it. ill try cleaning it once this roll is done. thanks!
01-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I had one with a similar problem and saw it discussed here before as well. I have another 645 that has exhibited this behavior once or twice but only after a long period of inaction. I once got an explanation from Eric the Pentax repair guy but it was going to be an expensive fix. The inner workings of these cameras are so incredibly complicated that I would never attempt a fix myself, but it seems that this is a weak spot.
01-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #13

Original Poster
oh... so it is not simply the battery connectors and something? if for example it is in S mode... after 1 click... I just turn it on and off... is that ok? won't it damage anything in the camera as a result of doing this too much?
01-18-2013, 11:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Here is the email inquiry I sent to Eric about a year ago:

Hi Eric,

Happy New Years from Japan. I know you are more interested in actually repairing cameras than answering my questions but since you are the best resource I know, I thought I would at least ask.
I picked up an old Pentax 645 (original) and it is actually in very nice condition. But it has one strange behavior. With the drive set to S-mode it will take one photo and then I have to either turn the power off and back on or rotate the drive wheel to C or rotate it to C and back to S before the shutter will release again.

In C mode I can take consecutive shots (either by just holding down the release or by taking separate shots, one at a time)

I first discovered this quirk when testing the camera without film loaded. It acted like this when the back was removed and also when the testing cover was attached to the back. I thought maybe it would be OK when I loaded film, but I just ran my first roll through it and the behavior was exactly the same so I am doubtful that the film back is the problem. I have a couple of backs so I could test it out with another roll of film and a different back, if needed.

When the camera is refusing to take the next shot it still does respond to the half press of the shutter release by displaying the data in the view finder etc.

Any idea what might be causing this behavior and whether it would require a big repair?

Best Regards,

And here is his response.

Hi Jim,
Hope you're doing well. I answer questions all the time. The 645 doesn't have parts or very few parts at this time. It will need a counter timing gear. This is the most common problem but there could be something else going on too. Cost to repair is about 150.00 plus parts and shipping. Hope this helps.
Eric
01-20-2013, 01:01 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by revdocjim Quote
Here is the email inquiry I sent to Eric about a year ago:

Hi Eric,

Happy New Years from Japan. I know you are more interested in actually repairing cameras than answering my questions but since you are the best resource I know, I thought I would at least ask.
I picked up an old Pentax 645 (original) and it is actually in very nice condition. But it has one strange behavior. With the drive set to S-mode it will take one photo and then I have to either turn the power off and back on or rotate the drive wheel to C or rotate it to C and back to S before the shutter will release again.

In C mode I can take consecutive shots (either by just holding down the release or by taking separate shots, one at a time)

I first discovered this quirk when testing the camera without film loaded. It acted like this when the back was removed and also when the testing cover was attached to the back. I thought maybe it would be OK when I loaded film, but I just ran my first roll through it and the behavior was exactly the same so I am doubtful that the film back is the problem. I have a couple of backs so I could test it out with another roll of film and a different back, if needed.

When the camera is refusing to take the next shot it still does respond to the half press of the shutter release by displaying the data in the view finder etc.

Any idea what might be causing this behavior and whether it would require a big repair?

Best Regards,

And here is his response.

Hi Jim,
Hope you're doing well. I answer questions all the time. The 645 doesn't have parts or very few parts at this time. It will need a counter timing gear. This is the most common problem but there could be something else going on too. Cost to repair is about 150.00 plus parts and shipping. Hope this helps.
Eric
got it! so i guess... this problem is not a problem anymore! hahahaha! since it is working ok with other settings... i can live with that