Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need help with Beattie Screen

Hi all,

I just got my P67 today, it come with a Beattie screen installed (without grid), like this one: Beattie lntenscreen Focusing Screen for Pentax 67 83600 B&H

when I look through the view finder, I don't see a circle in the middle that help you focus at all. The whole screen look the same like looking through a window. Is this suppose to be how it look? How do you focus in this case? Is this how it suppose to look like?

The original owner is kind enough to call me when I ask him, but he can't recall how the beattie screen look like and he was surprise there is nothing in the center of the screen to indicate it is in-focus. He then found the original focusing screen and he said he will sent it over.

Help much appreciated!

Thanks,
Lee

01-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Not all screens come with focus aids (split image or microprism). IIRC, the Beattie comes in two versions, full matte and split image. It may be that you have the matte version. To use, you adjust the focus until the image on the screen is sharp. A viewfinder magnifier can make this easier.

Steve
01-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Not all screens come with focus aids (split image or microprism). IIRC, the Beattie comes in two versions, full matte and split image. It may be that you have the matte version. To use, you adjust the focus until the image on the screen is sharp. A viewfinder magnifier can make this easier.

Steve
Hi Steve,

Much thanks for the info! I guess it is the full matte then, I don't see any focus aids at all. I will check again tomorrow in bright outdoor light!
But it makes me feel better now, so a big Thanks!

Lee
01-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There is the potential for Beattie screens to introduce exposure errors when using TTL metering. To check make exposures on transparency film using a hand-held meter, then repeat the same exposures using the P67 with Beattie screen installed. My P67 came with grid Beattie screen installed; the first roll had exposures that were at least 1.5 stops underexposed and a small number overexposed. A standard P67 screen was procured from eBay and TTL metering worked a treat. Nowadays though all my metering is multispot/average/stepped — no TTL meter used.

02-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
There is the potential for Beattie screens to introduce exposure errors when using TTL metering. To check make exposures on transparency film using a hand-held meter, then repeat the same exposures using the P67 with Beattie screen installed. My P67 came with grid Beattie screen installed; the first roll had exposures that were at least 1.5 stops underexposed and a small number overexposed. A standard P67 screen was procured from eBay and TTL metering worked a treat. Nowadays though all my metering is multispot/average/stepped no TTL meter used.
Thanks! The seller send me the original pentax focusing screen the other day (he found it), and he told me he always overexpose (set film speed at ISO32 when shooting with ISO50 film).

"Nowadays though all my metering is multispot/average/stepped " what is this means? How do you do that?

Thanks,
Lee
02-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
[...]

"Nowadays though all my metering is multispot/average/stepped " what is this means? How do you do that?

Thanks,
Lee

I use a hand-held spot meter (several spot meter readings, averaged, then shifted for polariser or red filter use). It's very thorough. You won't find this on the venerable P67, which works a treat for many scenes, but not all. This technique is used to thoroughly evaluate luminance across the scene and is especially useful in contrasty light with transparency film. Same technique is used with large format photography.