Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Anyone using a Lowepro Rover Pro 45L AW?

A long shot I know, especially since this backpack is fairly new, but does anyone know for sure whether the 645D and lens (55mm or 35mm or ideally the slightly longer (physically) 150mm lens).
Here's a link to the backpack Carry your gear in the first technical, mountain-style photo pack of its kind: Rover Pro AW.
If anyone does have this backpack please could they share their thoughts on it.
Thanks.

01-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I can't say about that particular backpack. But I would advise seeing it and trying any camera backpack on in a store if you can.

I do a fair amount of hiking each year and usually just use a regular hikers day pack for my gear. I decided to get a back for times when I want to haul a lot of camera gear. I purchased the Pro Trekker 400 AW. All the specs looked good on paper. It is a well made pack with good protective padding and all. However, it turned out to be a poor hiking backpack for me anyway. It is fine for hauling your gear short distances from your car or perhaps carry on a train or plane but not a pack I want to spend 6 or 8 hours hiking with.
01-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Good point

Tuco
A very good point. This brings back memories of a 'perfect on paper' Kata backpack I bought which had really uncomfortable shoulder straps (for me). Had to sell it after a short time.
The trouble I find with most camera specific backpacks is that there's not much room or thought given to the non camera essentials you need to take on a hike. This Lowepro looks different though.
In the UK it is becoming increasingly difficult to find a retailer that carries stock, unless you happen to be near the half a dozen or so decent retailers that have weathered the economy and digital storm.
Calumet have this backpack in their catalogue but when I visited their Manchester store they weren't stocking it.
01-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I checked one out at Glazer's in Seattle today (the 45L). It seems a bit cumbersome to me...If I'm out hiking or even backpacking with that much serious gear, I suppose I would wanted it packed in neat little cubes and compartmentalized inside the bag...until I wanted to take a picture, then it would be all over! For what it is though, it's nicely implemented; you can see the design evolution from their other outdoor-oriented packs. These packs along with the f-Stop and others just seem to bulky for me to be serious. However, I have spent many years in the "ultralight backpacking" sub-culture, so that's definitely part of the problem. YMMV.

01-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for having a look at the backpack and the mini review.

That's really helpful, thank you.
From the sounds of it It's not for me.
I like lightweight also, though when carrying camera gear and a tripod around it's not easy!
In fairness, although the 645D is fairly bulky it isn't that much heavier than a pro DSLR, especially when I take into account that the lenses are often a bit lighter.
I have an F Stop Brooklyn Sling which is surprisingly good for normal or non hiking use. I can fit in the 645d, 55mm lens and 150mm lens with room for spare battery, some filters etc. it's an even better fit if I manage with just two lenses.
But I've found to my cost that it's a bit dangerous using a sling bag when going for a short scramble from the car - the bag shifts on the back and seriously compromises your balance.
So I'm really looking for a solution that's a light backpack that can carry a tripod (maybe I should move to a two series Gitzo Traveler to cut down length) and the camera gear, as well as drinks, spare warm clothing etc.
If I use a regular lightweight backpack the question is what is best to pack the camera and lenses in?
My mileage is 5 to 10 mile hikes, but if my hands were free for walking poles I would probably try a bit further.
01-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #6

I already have packs for mountain biking, overnight hikes, day packs, messenger bag... So I just use a top-loading case for my 645NII with lens attached (something like this although mine is a different brand) and then just pack it into whatever pack I am using. If I bring any spare lenses or other kit they come in their own cases. Keep things modular.

Tripods are a pain, I fasten them to the outside of the pack somehow but they tend to get banged up, especially when I am mountain biking. A lot of times I just bring my heavy duty gorillapod.