Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2013, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Ristretto's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 142
Pentax DFA 645 2.8 90mm Macro

Here are some quick first impressions of the brand-new DFA 645 90 Macro lens. I just got it yesterday, so I couldn't test it very well (the weather isn't very good these days, a lot of rain). For the moment I am very impressed by this new lens: very, very sharp, the SR works quite well, the build-quality is amazing (and so is weight and price...)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
02-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Ryan Tischer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
Photos: Albums
Posts: 435
Thanks for sharing!
02-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
672
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: santa monica
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 414
Wow! Is this lens coming to the USA anytime soon? Anyone?
02-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator
Ole's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,853
I'm stunned! I really like the satuarted colors!

02-07-2013, 01:59 AM   #5
672
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: santa monica
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 414
Ristretto, Can you elaborate on the Shake reduction a little? Does it work for 3 stops or more like one stop? Is it quick to act , or does it hesitate or slow you down at all? Is it a heavy drain on battery life? Also have you shot any "macro" or closest focus shots? Is vignetting acceptable at close focus? And any other likes or dislikes now that you are a "long time owner" of this lens..........comparatively speaking of course.

Thanks,
672
02-07-2013, 02:33 AM   #6
Senior Member
LeGuillotine's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Finland, Kotka
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 169
Nice shots!

Could You take some "macro" shots?

LeGu
02-07-2013, 04:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,704
Very nice,this lens reminds me of the older 120mm f/4 - an excellent lens, extraordinarily sharp but it was known for producing harsh looking bokeh.All we need now is for someone with a Film 645 to test this lens out to see how it works on full format.
02-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Ristretto's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 142
Original Poster
Shake Reduction works very well for 3 stops. It depends on what you expect in quality. And yes, it will slow you down a little bit. SR need some split-seconds to start working, but honestly, if you photograph in conditions where SR is required and useful you have to work accurate and slowly anyway. Battery drain I couldn’t detect (and I have activated the SR in the viewfinder too). Surely it will be drain your battery a little bit more, but is not that much that you have to carry a spare battery the whole time just because the SR…

Real macros I didn’t yet test out very deeply. What I noticed is a vignetting on aperture 2.8 for about 0.5 – 1 stop in the corners.

So let me take a “long-time”-conclusion… ;-)

Likes:
-Very, very sharp till the corners, even wide open on 2.8
-Amazing build quality
-weight (very stable an well balanced in my hands)
-SR works for at least 3 stops
-Focus limiter selectively works on both sides
-I really like the bokeh…
-AF is very accurate

Dislikes:
-Relatively slow AF, even with activated focus-limiter
-weight (if you are shooting hand-held for hours…)
-macro only 2:1
-price

General conclusion
I don’t own the 25mm lens from Pentax for the 645D, but what I’ve heard and seen from, I think, they play both in the same (upper) class. I would consider the 90mm MACRO as the ultimate Portrait-lens: Sharp, SR and nice bokeh. However it would be a pity not to use it in the whole range of photography. I am very excited

Unfortunately I have no more upload space to show some more example pictures...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
02-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 157
QuoteOriginally posted by Ristretto Quote
Shake Reduction works very well for 3 stops. It depends on what you expect in quality. And yes, it will slow you down a little bit. SR need some split-seconds to start working, but honestly, if you photograph in conditions where SR is required and useful you have to work accurate and slowly anyway. Battery drain I couldn’t detect (and I have activated the SR in the viewfinder too). Surely it will be drain your battery a little bit more, but is not that much that you have to carry a spare battery the whole time just because the SR…

Real macros I didn’t yet test out very deeply. What I noticed is a vignetting on aperture 2.8 for about 0.5 – 1 stop in the corners.

So let me take a “long-time”-conclusion… ;-)

Likes:
-Very, very sharp till the corners, even wide open on 2.8
-Amazing build quality
-weight (very stable an well balanced in my hands)
-SR works for at least 3 stops
-Focus limiter selectively works on both sides
-I really like the bokeh…
-AF is very accurate

Dislikes:
-Relatively slow AF, even with activated focus-limiter
-weight (if you are shooting hand-held for hours…)
-macro only 2:1
-price

General conclusion
I don’t own the 25mm lens from Pentax for the 645D, but what I’ve heard and seen from, I think, they play both in the same (upper) class. I would consider the 90mm MACRO as the ultimate Portrait-lens: Sharp, SR and nice bokeh. However it would be a pity not to use it in the whole range of photography. I am very excited

Unfortunately I have no more upload space to show some more example pictures...
Thanks for sharing!
02-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Zafar Iqbal's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,164
I'm drooling - now I just need to win the lottery
02-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 238
Lovely feel of depth (3D)!
02-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #12
672
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: santa monica
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 414
thanks for the info !!!
02-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Pål Jensen's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Norway
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,130
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Very nice,this lens reminds me of the older 120mm f/4 - an excellent lens, extraordinarily sharp but it was known for producing harsh looking bokeh.All we need now is for someone with a Film 645 to test this lens out to see how it works on full format.
Harsh bokeh is typical for well corrected optics. Macro lenses are typically well corrected. You're right that the 120 Macro has harsh bokeh but otherwise it is a wonderful lens...
02-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #14
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,704
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Harsh bokeh is typical for well corrected optics. Macro lenses are typically well corrected. You're right that the 120 Macro has harsh bokeh but otherwise it is a wonderful lens...
I agree, the newer lens should be excellent for macro work. The filter thread of 67mm means it will be able to be used with the Pentax AF160FC ringflash, which means that lens can be quite useful for portraiture as well as macro work though 90mm is a bit short IMO, I prefer the 150mm f/2.8.
02-09-2013, 02:33 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Ristretto's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 142
Original Poster
Here are some more shot from this extraordinary lens...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo 
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dfa, lens, macro, medium format, pentax dfa
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax-D FA 645 90mm F2.8 ED Macro Price and sample pictures? Underbridge Pentax Medium Format 6 01-13-2013 02:21 AM
Pentax 560mm, 18-270mm, and DFA 645 90mm Macro Officially Announced Adam Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 09-11-2012 05:58 AM
Pentax 60mm f2.8 FF(35mm) + 90mm f2.8 (645) Macro lens patents Steelski Pentax News and Rumors 43 03-15-2012 08:16 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax SMC DFA Macro 50mm 2.8 Peppin Photography Sold Items 4 09-26-2011 09:14 PM
Pentax DFA 100mm f/2.8 Macro vs Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG vs Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP dyusem Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 02-13-2010 08:11 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:06 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top