Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ponggo Quote
got my 645 for christmas! so relatively new here... i was able to talk to some guys and they said at full resolution... the tiff file can easily go up to 100mb... with the i dont know what nikon scanner
Ya, that's what my sister is giving me in exchange for my K20D and kit lens... "the i dont know what nikon scanner".

02-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #17
Pentaxian

A 100MB file at 8 bit per channel is not the same pixel width x height as a 16 bit per channel obviously. Similarly with a 16 bit gray scale scan vs 48bit color normalized to a gray scale by the scanning software. So I feel it is best just to talk image dimensions instead of MB files as if somehow that equates to a digital cameras quality for similar size file in MB.

A Nikon Coolscan can do nearly 4000dpi optically. That is about 8000px in the long dimension for 6x6 and 6x4.5. The commodity flatbed scanners cannot optically do 4000dpi, at least the ones I'm familiar with, but can scan extra meaningless information to create a dimensionally larger file in its extended scan resolution modes. And in this case, again, kind of meaningless to judge by file size in MB.
02-05-2013, 11:49 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
A 100MB file at 8 bit per channel is not the same pixel width x height as a 16 bit per channel obviously. Similarly with a 16 bit gray scale scan vs 48bit color normalized to a gray scale by the scanning software. So I feel it is best just to talk image dimensions instead of MB files as if somehow that equates to a digital cameras quality for similar size file in MB.

A Nikon Coolscan can do nearly 4000dpi optically. That is about 8000px in the long dimension for 6x6 and 6x4.5. The commodity flatbed scanners cannot optically do 4000dpi, at least the ones I'm familiar with, but can scan extra meaningless information to create a dimensionally larger file in its extended scan resolution modes. And in this case, again, kind of meaningless to judge by file size in MB.
i think what my developer is telling is that their scanner (dedicated for film) can do if i remember right something like 3200 dpi and they were telling me something that it is gonna be done in 5 passes.
02-06-2013, 03:04 AM   #19
Pentaxian

The 645 is a very nice camera. I got mine back in the summer with an FA 75mm lens. I've recently added a 150/3.5 lens too, but have only developed one shot from it so far.

The quality improvement over 35mm is substantial and the camera is fun to use. With this camera I've produced a lot of shots that have made me say "wow", much more so than on digital or 35mm. I recommend Fuji 160NS film shot at box speed, the colours it produces are wonderful.

02-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I bought mine with the 75 2.8 and 55 2.8 just before xmas. I've yet to run roll of film through it yet. For me utility will depend on what kind of scans I can get from the negatives. I'm hoping to be able to produce a decent 40-60 MP image, but I've done absolutely no research to suggest that will be possible.
I've found that my 645n negatives scanned with the stock holder for my Epson V700 don't do well. The film is so flexible that corner to corner sharpness is impossible. Doug Fisher's MF holder (betterscanning.com) with his anti Newton's ring glass is a solution. The glass holds the negative flat, and the holders are adjustable for height. The adjustment is a slow process, "cut and try," but when optimized it yields sharp scans, corner to corner. I don't remember the size of the scans, but they are BIG, and I'd think that 2 x 3 foot enlargements would be feasible. Fun!
02-09-2013, 03:08 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Got my 645N before Christmas... it is wonderful. Use Kodak Ektar 100 negative print film... send it to NorthCoastPhoto.com in Carlsbad, California for developing and then hi-res scanning... get back 4824 x 3533 JPGs, that I can work with in Photoshop.

Life's good. I use a little Olympus XZ-1 to preview monochrome images, and to see a histogram... then just use the same settings on the 645N... with the negative print film, it doesn't have to be an exact match between the two light meters. Works just fine.

Would also like a 645D... but I don't take photos for a living, and it is very expensive!
02-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #22
Site Supporter

I think you'll find that the metering on the 645n is excellent. I've yet to shoot a roll that wasn't evenly and properly exposed. Enjoy!
02-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Gotta be careful with the spool rolls... was changing rolls and while attempting to lift the tab to tape it together, the spool slipped and it unravelled itself.... since i was in the kitchen using ambient light from the hallway I hope it was dark enough i didn't loose anything/much...time will tell.

02-10-2013, 02:57 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Gotta be careful with the spool rolls... was changing rolls and while attempting to lift the tab to tape it together, the spool slipped and it unravelled itself.... since i was in the kitchen using ambient light from the hallway I hope it was dark enough i didn't loose anything/much...time will tell.
Ooops. I have worried about that but taken great care not to let it happen.
02-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
the spool slipped and it unravelled itself...
Welcome to the wonderful world of roll film. I remember loading the family's 127 Brownie back in the mid-60s when I was yet a boy and the big challenge was to avoid letting the film unroll.

Steve
02-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the wonderful world of roll film. I remember loading the family's 127 Brownie back in the mid-60s when I was yet a boy and the big challenge was to avoid letting the film unroll.

Steve
I'll bet everyone has that worry. I try to tape the roll paper down before I remove it from the holder. So far no problems...yet!!
02-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
I still remember opening the back of my mom's loaded camera at the Abbotsford Air Show in the mid 1960’s and getting a cuff across the head! I was a little fart but learned my lesson about undeveloped film and bright sunlight.

Phil.