Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2013, 01:59 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
P67II + flash?

Hi all,

Im looking into using a flash with my 67II. I have an AF500ftz (ttl). I also have a (cold) shoe wooden grip and since the hot shoe grip is not very avaliable and quite pricy I think that ill opt for a cord+ adapter (+bracket or pod?) solution. But what cord and what adapter (will the F5P and Off-Camera Shoe Adaptor F for P-TTL work?). Also, since the sync speed is at 1/30 MLU comes to my mind, so how is MLU combined with flash working?

I would be grateful for any advice on these questions

Regards

Note1: Since I have an LX as well and the 67II has both a 4P and a 5P (female) socket, I now understand that I might want a 4P in one (camera) end and then a hot shoe adapter (which?) in the other (flash) end. The AF500FTZ has a 5P socket (one pin is the digital pin). Hmm..

Note2: I found this (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-medium-format-645-6x7-645d/61540-6...era-flash.html) thread and answer to part of my question:
"Because your flash--the AF500FTZ--has it's own 5 pin synch port, you do not need to purchase the usual Pentax off-camera shoes--Hot shoe Adapter Fg or Off-camera Shoe Adapter F. These are both similar parts with the Off-camera Shoe Adapter F also including a tripod socket on the bottom for mounting. Folks with the AF330FTZ or AF360FGZ flash units need to use these shoes for wired off-camera TTL flash as those flashes don't have the external 5 pin port. By running the synch cord to the 5 pin port on one of these shoes, the flash info is passed to the flash by the shoe.".

Last edited by jt_cph_dk; 02-03-2013 at 07:35 AM. Reason: text added
02-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Consider using a leaf shutter lens to get around the 1/30 sync speed, which is not very useful at all. SMC Pentax 165mm and 90mm leaf shutter lenses(both f4) are excellent for this use, synchonising at all speeds up to 1/500, although the technique to do so must be followed to avoid damage to the camera, lens or both. MLU is not recommended for use with the leaf shutter lenses. The flash could be attached to a small tabletop tripod and connected to the X-sync of the camera (if no leaf shutter lens) or the sync socket directly on the barrel of the leaf shutter lens for higher sync speeds.

Adding the wooden handle just adds yet more weight to an already bulky and often reported irritatingly heavy camera (same with the P67).
02-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I can't say about TTL capability of the flash mounted to an external hot shoe. But at a minium you could get an economical hot shoe adapter with PC cord to connect to your camera. Mount the hot shoe adapter on your wooden grip and shoot the flash by guide number. A few practice rolls would be advisable. I don't see any reason why you couldn't lock up the mirror and pop off a shot with flash if you wanted to.
02-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Consider using a leaf shutter lens to get around the 1/30 sync speed, which is not very useful at all. SMC Pentax 165mm and 90mm leaf shutter lenses(both f4) are excellent for this use, synchonising at all speeds up to 1/500, although the technique to do so must be followed to avoid damage to the camera, lens or both. MLU is not recommended for use with the leaf shutter lenses. The flash could be attached to a small tabletop tripod and connected to the X-sync of the camera (if no leaf shutter lens) or the sync socket directly on the barrel of the leaf shutter lens for higher sync speeds.

Adding the wooden handle just adds yet more weight to an already bulky and often reported irritatingly heavy camera (same with the P67).

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I can't say about TTL capability of the flash mounted to an external hot shoe. But at a minium you could get an economical hot shoe adapter with PC cord to connect to your camera. Mount the hot shoe adapter on your wooden grip and shoot the flash by guide number. A few practice rolls would be advisable. I don't see any reason why you couldn't lock up the mirror and pop off a shot with flash if you wanted to.

I am considering the LS lenses, but made a steep investment in 6X7/67II/5 lenses+TC last year and I am still learning to use all that gear. So the 1/30 sync will have to do and I think it will be OK to start with. My intention is 1. to take outdoor portraits and land-/city-scapes with close-up subjects and adding some fill flash, 2. to do some indoors artwork documentation and sales material (I will need more gear for that eventually). And yes, the 67II is a heavy piece and weight is a factor to consider when building a rig. However, I will need something to hold the flash, either a shoe on a grip or a pod since I need both hands to handle the camera.
I much prefer to have TTL (before PC), so I am going to choose a F5P cord (short one first and the long version second) and if I use my (cold) shoe I need an adapter of plastic (at least), because the metal on the shoe will interfere with the flash and it wont work. And then some shoe for a pod as well, to get the flash more off the camera. Later I will get another flash or strobes if the artwork documentation takes off?

I am sure, that I will need ‘a few practice rolls‘!

Thanks for the advice/thoughts both of you Regards

Last edited by jt_cph_dk; 02-04-2013 at 06:45 AM.