Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #1

645n lever on left side?

Hope someone can help. I just got a 645N on eBay. I have figured out most of the controls. (no manual yet) but on the left side below and forward of the neck strap lug there is a lever. I can't figure out what it does. I have tried to move it both directions but it dosen't budge. It shows an orange dot at the bottom, a white rectangle at the top and something in white under the lever. Does something else have to be in a certain position before the lever can be moved?

Jeff

02-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
check this out and see if you can get your answer. Cheers JIM
02-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvrrproto48 Quote
Hope someone can help. I just got a 645N on eBay. I have figured out most of the controls. (no manual yet) but on the left side below and forward of the neck strap lug there is a lever. I can't figure out what it does. I have tried to move it both directions but it dosen't budge. It shows an orange dot at the bottom, a white rectangle at the top and something in white under the lever. Does something else have to be in a certain position before the lever can be moved?

Jeff
It's the multi exposure lever isn't it?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Jim,
It's the multiple exposure button. But there seams to be something wrong with it. It is in the middle position and will not move down as in the photo on the site you linked to. I'm picking up some film tomarrow and will see if it needs to have film in it for it to move???

Jeff

02-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tvrrproto48 Quote

Jeff
Jeff,

Go to the Pentax USA site and download the 645N manual. The manual says:
1. Turn the multi-exposure switch in the direction of the arrow until it locks.
2. The frame counter on the LCD blinks.
3. Depress the shutter release button to shoot an initial exposure. The film will not advance.
4. Return the multi-exposure switch to the original position to cancel the multi-exposure.
5. Recompose the frame, and depress the shutter release button to shoot the second picture.

So it sound like you just need to rotate the switch back to the pointing down position to disengage multi-exposures. I presume that all it does is disengage the linkage from the winder to the film cassette to prevent the film being wound on.

Regards

Chris
02-08-2013, 04:02 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks Chris,

I downloaded the manual for the 645NII. There must be something wrong with the body as the lever will not move.

Jeff
02-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
645n instruction manual

Michael Butkus' Orphan Cameras site to the rescue!

Pentax 645N instruction manual, user manual, free PFD camera manuals

Note that he has manuals for the 645, the 645n and the 645nii. He is the hero of all owners/buyers of old cameras. Those of us whom he helps should send him a little money to fund the good works. Right??
02-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Michael Butkus' Orphan Cameras site to the rescue!

Pentax 645N instruction manual, user manual, free PFD camera manuals

Note that he has manuals for the 645, the 645n and the 645nii. He is the hero of all owners/buyers of old cameras. Those of us whom he helps should send him a little money to fund the good works. Right??
Thanks Guys,

I took to a camera store in Reno. The owner is familiar with the 645. It appears the multiexposure control knob is jammed. Everything else seams to be working fine. I contacted Pentax to see what can be done.

Jeff