Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
AF 400/500 FTZ for 645?

Hi there,
I am new to this forum and also a "new" Pentax user... I just aquired a 645 and 645N. Great cameras. Now I would like to buy a Pentax flash, that I can use for both of them in TTL-mode. Is it possible to use the AF 400 FTZ for both of them? The manual tells me, that I can use the TTL function only with Pentax AF cameras. This would mean, that I can use flashguns such as AF 400 FTZ and 500 FTZ only with 645N, but not with 645 allthough both are TTL capable. Is that true? Both flashguns do not use the davanced P-TTL. This is why I donīt understand why only AF-cameras should work with them and not the non-AF TTL-cameras such as the 645. Someone who uses the 400 or 500 FTZ with one of the non AF-Pentax cameras with TTL capability? Thanks for your replies!

02-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I hope you enjoy your new cameras. I've been thinking about medium format as well recently.

It looks like the 645 was released before the 500FTZ, but the 645N after. The metering systems in the two cameras are practically the same, both using TTL for flash, or any of the other auto or manual modes. So, I would recommend going for the 500FTZ as you should be able to use it on both cameras and you dont need the extra mount like you would for the 400T (which you may not be able to find). You may not be able to use some of the 500FTZ features on the 645 though (flash zoom), but it should function fine.

Happy shooting!