Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #16

I use 645 D mostly in studio and sometimes outside. I have access several lenses, Fa 80 - 160, Fa 120 mm Macro, Fa 45 - 85 mm, DA 25 mm and DFA 55 mm Outside studio I use mostly 25 mm and in studio 55 mm and I do portraits with Fa 80 - 160 mm. Outside I use mostly tripod. In studio I work mostly hand-held. When I do portraits I really like format. I have more room to work, can get closer and don't`t crop shoulders. I like very thin depth of field that I can get with best apertures. I can use 8 or smaller apertures and get very thin depth of field and focus point is really very sharp. With smaller formats I have to open aperture more to the point where lens is not sharp anymore to get similar depth.

I do not like that camera is very slow to write and show images and that is so fastest cards available. And you have to careful not change your working aperture when trying to review and zoom images. Because the same wheel in use. I did it several times. With Fa lens is better to use aperture ring to avoid that. Sorry my English. Andrus

03-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 645user Quote
I do not like that camera is very slow to write and show images and that is so fastest cards available. And you have to careful not change your working aperture when trying to review and zoom images. Because the same wheel in use. I did it several times. With Fa lens is better to use aperture ring to avoid that. Sorry my English. Andrus
Just use the arrow buttons to scroll images and you won't have to worry about messing with the aperture or shutter. I zoom into my images all the time and have never accidentally changed the aperture, so maybe we have different settings somewhere.
03-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #18

I can scroll images with arrow buttons but do I can zoom? I have no 645 D with me at the moment, but I have K 20. With K 20 I can scroll with arrow buttons but I cant zoom. I can zoom with thumb wheel. I think it works the same with 645 D. The problem is that I take several images and then like to review images and show my model for feedback. But camera writing and thinking. And then we both patiently waiting , finally camera shows last image and I try to zoom in with thumb-wheel. But it takes little more when i can actually zoom. When I do not wait that little more I change aperture. Maybe there is possible to zoom with arrow buttons I look it next time when I take 645 D. Maybe it is possible with K 20 too. I have worked with Pentax cameras several years but I often discover something that I did not know..
03-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #19
Veteran Member

yep, zoom is with the scroll on the rear, which I have set for shutter speed as it's what I've been used to with my Nikon and Canon cameras in the past.

03-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #20
Site Supporter

as i shoot from a scooter, useing a monopod or a tripod, it's an everything camera to me.
03-12-2013, 05:00 AM   #21
Veteran Member

i use it as an allround camera and is a joy to use. is a brick like a d4 is a brick or a d800 with a zoom and agrip.
sure to have the best u need tripod, but you can use it with fast lens. is not true tha u need fast speed, i can ahandhold a 55 at 1/30 for example. the shutter is less prone to blur than hassy or phase one. is spund is a joy. the images top notch and i'm not speaking about resolution, you can buy a d800, simply a rendering that is like film. d800 in my opinion is digital like a k5 but with more resolution. than the glass. the a 35 is unbelievable. i doubt you can fin a glassh under 35 for any 35 mm system that is so perfect corner to corner. Crispness acuity are again amazing, and any d800 or k5 without aa filter can show you the same. Is like a big foveon in my opinion, and i have sigma camera.
High iso is worst, but consider that when you shoot hgh iso you probably don't need all 40 megapixel. so you can resize at 16 12 and noise is nonexistent.
sometimes i shoot -1, simulating iso 3200, and then resize in pp. i obtain usable and sellable photo.
cleraly the d800 is a better all round camera. but pentax 645d is easily usable handhold.
03-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jonny1986 Quote
i use it as an allround camera and is a joy to use. is a brick like a d4 is a brick or a d800 with a zoom and agrip.
sure to have the best u need tripod, but you can use it with fast lens. is not true tha u need fast speed, i can ahandhold a 55 at 1/30 for example. the shutter is less prone to blur than hassy or phase one. is spund is a joy. the images top notch and i'm not speaking about resolution, you can buy a d800, simply a rendering that is like film. d800 in my opinion is digital like a k5 but with more resolution. than the glass. the a 35 is unbelievable. i doubt you can fin a glassh under 35 for any 35 mm system that is so perfect corner to corner. Crispness acuity are again amazing, and any d800 or k5 without aa filter can show you the same. Is like a big foveon in my opinion, and i have sigma camera.
High iso is worst, but consider that when you shoot hgh iso you probably don't need all 40 megapixel. so you can resize at 16 12 and noise is nonexistent.
sometimes i shoot -1, simulating iso 3200, and then resize in pp. i obtain usable and sellable photo.
cleraly the d800 is a better all round camera. but pentax 645d is easily usable handhold.

could you do a brief walk through on how you resize to cut noise?
03-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #23

I would not recommend it for sport photography, even my 2 years old kid is too fast for the AF. For this kind of things I use the D3. If I need a small camera (for example in the city, with the family), I take the K-01.
For the other things, the 645D is really good. I remember taking photos at 1/15 and ISO 800, using the 55mm kit lens. No tripod, just held. If counting pixels, off course you'll see it. Printed in A3+ (14x17" or similar), you won't.

03-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I owe you guys an update with so much support/views from all of you.
Some of you have links to your blogs, which I am really thankful of as it gives pretty good reference to what I'm look for.

I passed on the current deal.
Mainly because the spectre of Pentax FF (as well as a better APS-C in April) haunts me again ( I do have a lot of FF lenses)
But I've formed up my plan of approach to the 645D.
I'll make up my mind once the new Pentax camera is announced in April and hopefully prices drop a bit with a new 645DII announced.
From then, if the new APS-C does not catch my interest, I will start collecting the 645 lenses I need and make a purchase of a 645D at the end of the year if the Pentax FF is not to be so by coming Photokina (Oct).

Thanks again to everyone.
03-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #25

I sometimes come into situations in which I need to rent a 645d for projects and I always enjoy doing so. The camera is simply one of the most enjoyable I have used in the digital world. I also sometime need to use a D4, which is an amazing camera for certain things, but it simply does not feel as special or intuitive to me. The 645d also has one of the sexiest shutters on the planet. I could probably record it's sound and burn a CD of it for later listening. But seriously, I always enjoy the chances I get to use this wonderful machine. While I do not have enough reason to justify buying it, it is quickly dropping to price points in which it is nearly forcing me to buy it. We will see; I will probably just buy one before this year is out and utilize the amazing deals on used glass I often see here in Japan.
03-23-2013, 01:01 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I will start collecting the 645 lenses I need and make a purchase of a 645D at the end of the year if the Pentax FF is not to be so by coming Photokina (Oct).
There won't be a Photokina this year. It is held every other year (on even years) in September.
03-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Thomas Quote
You won't regret getting a 645D
Well, today there is a heavy wet snow that made things rather interesting. I have used this camera in all kinds of weather. Hot, cold, wet and snow. Today was my first real test though. Slipped and fell into a muddy, gooey, icy creek and dunked the camera but good!. Although really pissed, wet, cold and mud encrusted ( both me and the camera), I shook the camera off and took it the nearest place to rinse the mud off. Well, the camera is fine, but the 35A did not fair as well. The lens will need professional cleaning to get the silt out of the focus mechanism. BUT, that camera is just bullet proof! I continued to photograph with it and it works great. Can't say as much for the iPhone that was in my back pocket. Anyway, you can really use these things as very reliable tools. I just gotta be more careful! Ray
03-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've had my 645D since they were first released Internationally and have barely picked up any other camera since taking my 645D out of the box when I first got it home.
I use my 645D for studio portrait work, I shoot a lot of portraits out on location, it gets used for family happy snaps, travel, I shoot portraits at events ..... this camera has taken everything I throw at it.
Once you work out what it's not so great at (like low light/High ISO), you'll find out ways around those limitations and adapt to it, then you use this for just about anything.
My camera has taken a beating at many all night alternative and fetish events, out in the desert, on the beach, in swamps, dropped by the kids ...... it still works perfectly and has never failed me.
The only other camera I now use is the one in my Galaxy Note II phone, I just can't bring myself to pick up the old DSLR, any of my film cameras, or use friends film/DSLR units ..... I go the 645D every time.
The new 2.8/55 is a beautiful lens and is on my camera 90% of the time. If I'm not using that lens. I've got a Zodiak 30mm rectangular Fisheye and a 4.0/120mm Macro.
Can't rave enough about the 645D, love it, 2 and half years of ownership and no desire or temptations to even look at anything else.
03-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
.........................hopefully prices drop a bit with a new 645DII announced.
From then, if the new APS-C does not catch my interest, I will start collecting the 645 lenses I need and make a purchase of a 645D at the end of the year if the Pentax FF is not to be so by coming Photokina (Oct).

Thanks again to everyone.
Keep in mind that if the 645DII is announced, used lens prices are likely to go up, not down.

Last edited by Thomas; 03-26-2013 at 07:08 AM.
03-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #30
CDW
Veteran Member

The points have all been made supporting the 645D. I'll add my experiences, supporting the views of Ray Cox and Warped. I shot my 645D in French Polynesia during a torrential downpour with no problems whatsoever and I've shot it during sandstorms here in the American southwest...no problems whatsoever. So far, it's been as reliable as my 645n. No problems.