Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
645N question

Hi,
I acquired a used 645N and just shot a testfilm (Provia 100). The camera performed very well, the photos are looking great. When I then tried to do test shot without film in it, release buton, shutter and transport worked once or twice. When trying next time, nothing worked. The LCD display was still showing the filmspeed, but nothing in the finder. when pressing the release button, some quite rattling sound was audible, but the finder showed nothing and the shutter was not released. I tried this during some days, nothing happened. Then I loaded a new film and the camera was suddenly back to life: the film wound up, shutter and display worked. Even after taking the film out of the camera. I wonder, wether this camera is reliable or not. Did anynone have the same problem or at least can imagine what went wrong? I have to say in addition, that while exposing the first test film, I did all photographing with the flash Pentax AF 400 FTZ (bought it used). I did not use it anymore after this first film. But the manual lists it as a dedicated flash gun for the 645N... While shooting the second test film, I used a AF 280T instead.
Thanks for your reply!

03-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fritzenpapa Quote
Hi,
I acquired a used 645N and just shot a testfilm (Provia 100). The camera performed very well, the photos are looking great. When I then tried to do test shot without film in it, release buton, shutter and transport worked once or twice. When trying next time, nothing worked. The LCD display was still showing the filmspeed, but nothing in the finder. when pressing the release button, some quite rattling sound was audible, but the finder showed nothing and the shutter was not released. I tried this during some days, nothing happened. Then I loaded a new film and the camera was suddenly back to life: the film wound up, shutter and display worked. Even after taking the film out of the camera. I wonder, wether this camera is reliable or not. Did anynone have the same problem or at least can imagine what went wrong? I have to say in addition, that while exposing the first test film, I did all photographing with the flash Pentax AF 400 FTZ (bought it used). I did not use it anymore after this first film. But the manual lists it as a dedicated flash gun for the 645N... While shooting the second test film, I used a AF 280T instead.
Thanks for your reply!

I believe the camera is designed so it won't fire with an empty film insert installed.
To shoot it without film you should remove the empty insert and replace it with the plastic cover for the film insert opening.
03-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I believe the camera is designed so it won't fire with an empty film insert installed.
To shoot it without film you should remove the empty insert and replace it with the plastic cover for the film insert opening.
Not sure where that "design feature" is documented, but my 645n experienced dozens of actuations with 120 insert and no film in it with no issue at all. Sometimes users mention need to re-set with pen the small button under the insert. Hope this helps.
03-04-2013, 01:43 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply!
@Swift1: This design feature is typical for the "original" 645 (introduced 1984). The manual describes this over more then 4 pages. But the Manual 645N doesn´t mention this design feature anymore (I already bought a used "original" 645 as replacement body, when I thought my 645N was gone. This is why I can make a side-by-side comparison..)
@trapezoid645: Thanks for the reset-pin-information! I will try this next time (that hopefully nether occurs)...

03-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My 645N dry fires no problem. As mentioned, the original is quite different in that regard and requires either an open back or the special cover in order to dry fire and even then the other settings like aperture, shutter speed etc. don't work without film inserted. Initially I thought you might just have dead batteries but then you say it came back to life with another roll of film inserted so I really don't know what to say. It doesn't sound right though.
03-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The original 645 won't fire without film in it, but I'm not sure about the 645N.

When I first got my 645 (original) I experienced some problems (jamming, shutter curtain not closing after a shot, weird rattling/motor-struggling sound. This was all fixed by changing the batteries.
03-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My 645N only fires when the back is removed, or with a film loaded naturally