Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #1

Weather sealed portrait lenses

I'm probably going to be picking up a 645d soon, and I just booked a wedding where rain is a definite possibility. I know the body is weather sealed, but does anyone know which 645 lenses would couple well for a rainy day? Preferably, something a little longer than the 55 2.8 though....

03-08-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TimonW Quote
I'm probably going to be picking up a 645d soon, and I just booked a wedding where rain is a definite possibility. I know the body is weather sealed, but does anyone know which 645 lenses would couple well for a rainy day? Preferably, something a little longer than the 55 2.8 though....
On the 645d a longer lens like a 100mm would be nice for portraits, but they don't make that at the moment. The closest you can get is the new 90mm macro:

HD Pentax-D FA 645 90mm F2.8 ED AW SR Macro Reviews - 645 Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Lenses faster than F2.8 also aren't made, though on a 645D the DOF will already be plenty shallow at 2.8.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
On the 645d a longer lens like a 100mm would be nice for portraits, but they don't make that at the moment. The closest you can get is the new 90mm macro:

HD Pentax-D FA 645 90mm F2.8 ED AW SR Macro Reviews - 645 Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Lenses faster than F2.8 also aren't made, though on a 645D the DOF will already be plenty shallow at 2.8.
Definitely looking at that...anything under $5k?
03-10-2013, 02:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There are a number of the FA lenses that can be sealed if you are willing to loose manual focus. Lock them into AF and wrap them up with electrical tape (focus ring joints, aperture ring, and lens mount). Predominately the one you would be most interested in would be the 150mm 2.8. Bare in mind this only works on lenses with internal focus lenses.

However, a few of the A lenses are relatively water resistant. You can also just use a rain cover... People have been shooting in the rain long before weather sealed lenses came about.

03-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #5

Pentax has produced very few medium format lenses that are weather sealed by design; of them only the new DFA 90mm f/2.8 macro is what might be considered a traditional portrait focal length. As the previous poster said, though, people have photographed in inclement weather long before modern weather sealed gear was created. Just make some adequate protection like an umbrella, rain sleeve on the camera & lens, etc. and you should be fine. Unless it's truly a torrential downpour in which case it may not be ideal wedding conditions anyway.

I've had my 645D out in the rain numerous times with a number of lenses. Normally it has been perfectly fine. Full disclosure -- I did kill the camera once due to moisture getting inside, after being caught in a heavy downpour for an hour when I had no rain protection with me. (Now I carry a lightweight plastic sleeve in the bag all the time.) Even so the failure was mostly my stupidity, as I didn't think to pull out the remote shutter release cable, and water eventually got in through that point. The camera body is weather sealed only as long as you don't have one of the sealed access ports opened with a jack plugged into the socket. I dried the camera out in a sealed box full of silica gel packs and it came back fine. Meanwhile the lens I had on at the time (FA 645 45-85mm zoom) had no trouble, and despite not being weather sealed I saw no evidence of water seeping in through the lens mount.

There are a few different useful portrait lenses out there. The 645 150mm f/2.8 has been mentioned. Also the 67 format 105mm f/2.4 and 90mm f/2.8 are worth considering, via the 67-to-645 adapter. They're both manual lenses of course, but can produce lovely results with a touch of care on the focusing in portrait situations where you've got the time to dial the focus in. 67 glass is dirt cheap, even for excellent quality copies of the lenses.

Unless you're shooting exclusively with available light, your bigger problem doing a wedding in the rain is likely to be the flash unit(s)...
03-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You can see here an example of weather sealing the FA 150mm 2.8 with electrical tape. Three sections need tape then it is sealed...
Attached Images

03-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atlnq9 Quote
You can see here an example of weather sealing the FA 150mm 2.8 with electrical tape. Three sections need tape then it is sealed...
Thanks! Looks like you're taping down all but the focus ring right? Or is the focus ring taped (which would cause me to ask, does AF work)?
03-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Royce Howland Quote
Pentax has produced very few medium format lenses that are weather sealed by design; of them only the new DFA 90mm f/2.8 macro is what might be considered a traditional portrait focal length. As the previous poster said, though, people have photographed in inclement weather long before modern weather sealed gear was created. Just make some adequate protection like an umbrella, rain sleeve on the camera & lens, etc. and you should be fine. Unless it's truly a torrential downpour in which case it may not be ideal wedding conditions anyway.

I've had my 645D out in the rain numerous times with a number of lenses. Normally it has been perfectly fine. Full disclosure -- I did kill the camera once due to moisture getting inside, after being caught in a heavy downpour for an hour when I had no rain protection with me. (Now I carry a lightweight plastic sleeve in the bag all the time.) Even so the failure was mostly my stupidity, as I didn't think to pull out the remote shutter release cable, and water eventually got in through that point. The camera body is weather sealed only as long as you don't have one of the sealed access ports opened with a jack plugged into the socket. I dried the camera out in a sealed box full of silica gel packs and it came back fine. Meanwhile the lens I had on at the time (FA 645 45-85mm zoom) had no trouble, and despite not being weather sealed I saw no evidence of water seeping in through the lens mount.

There are a few different useful portrait lenses out there. The 645 150mm f/2.8 has been mentioned. Also the 67 format 105mm f/2.4 and 90mm f/2.8 are worth considering, via the 67-to-645 adapter. They're both manual lenses of course, but can produce lovely results with a touch of care on the focusing in portrait situations where you've got the time to dial the focus in. 67 glass is dirt cheap, even for excellent quality copies of the lenses.

Unless you're shooting exclusively with available light, your bigger problem doing a wedding in the rain is likely to be the flash unit(s)...
Thanks. I think my worry is moisture seeping into the body where the lens mount meets the lens, and without a weather seal, that's an issue. I wonder why Pentax created a waterproof body with no water resistant lenses...I guess the 90 2.8. Is the 55 2.8 sealed?

03-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #9

Thanks. I think my worry is moisture seeping into the body where the lens mount meets the lens, and without a weather seal, that's an issue. I wonder why Pentax created a waterproof body with no water resistant lenses...I guess the 90 2.8. Is the 55 2.8 sealed?
All of the new lenses are sealed. the 55mm, the 25mm and the new 90mm. I have both the 55mm and 25mm and had them in some pretty tough conditions. The biggest issue you have to watch out for is prolonged humidity and changing lenses at the wrong moment where the humidity can get trapped inside the body by the seal of the new lens. The camera can start acting up at that point and become unresponsive. I would still suggest taking a plastic sleeve if going into a jungle or shooting in a monsoon for prolonged periods of time. I have shot in a typhoon and the camera survived fine. My backpack got wet and when I left the camera in it for the night the humidity caused some issues for about an hour until i let the camera air out (with lens removed). The lenses themselves were fine.
03-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks! Looks like you're taping down all but the focus ring right? Or is the focus ring taped (which would cause me to ask, does AF work)?
QuoteOriginally posted by atlnq9 Quote
There are a number of the FA lenses that can be sealed if you are willing to loose manual focus. Lock them into AF and wrap them up with electrical tape (focus ring joints, aperture ring, and lens mount).
As stated you loose manual focus...

Thanks. I think my worry is moisture seeping into the body where the lens mount meets the lens, and without a weather seal, that's an issue.
You can put tape at that joint on any lens. Just don't change lenses.