Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2013, 04:59 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hi , its an internal MAC 500 GB SSD.

SSD holds all my program files and i just store short term my image files, before i back up to ext HD.

As this is only my travel and viewing mac, i don't keep my images on the SSD long term only as a back up while travelling.

I can do quick edits , but as mentioned screen size for me is not enough. :-)

03-12-2013, 05:15 AM   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I'm afraid another Mac vote here, I'm running iMac, i7 3.4GHz, 16GB , running both Adobe Lightroom 4.2 & Photoshop CS6, which both fly along on this set up.

Duh, just spotted the thread title "What notebook to process 645D DNG files", last time I checked, an iMac was hardly a notebook, please forgive my stupidity.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 03-12-2013 at 02:56 PM.
03-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #18
CDW
Site Supporter

Being a rather agnostic user of Macs and PCs (two Mac Pros plus wife's iMac, two PCs for spoolers and invoicing/business and an Asus notebook, I have some opinions FWIW.

MAC uses the same industry sources for hard drives, SSDs, video cards, as everyone else. That said, Apple tends to spend a bit more time with their implementation and utilization, particularly in the Mac Pros which have far superior internal cooling than most PCs. As an example, in most PCs, the HDs are stacked in a cluster, building up heat that kills motors and bearings. In the Pros, they are sequentially lined up, taking advantage of superior air flow throughout the machine. The better cooling in a Mac is not only quieter, the video cards, memory, power supplies, etc., tend to run longer without failure.

Unfortunately, things are more cramped in the notebook/laptop world and almost all suffer from heat buildup although Apple manages it well. My ASUS, barely a a year old and out of warranty, has been a disaster. The hinges on the screen have broken and it is a well-documented problem that ASUS refuses to acknowledge. Their extremely poor customer service is also well documented. There are some excellent machines in the PC world but when it comes to customer support and service, no one seems to even come close to Apple Care. It is expensive on top of already premium priced hardware, although one can often find the Apple Care package on ebay for far less than buying the documentation/registration packet directly from Apple.

Adobe use to allow swapping current software PC versions to the Apple versions by signing documentation whereby one pledges to destroy all discs and remove it from existing machines. I'm not sure if this is still policy. It is one the incentives that made me switch to the Apple world abut five years ago. In spite of some glitches along the way, including driver issues when Apple released new versions of their OS, working with stills and video on a Mac has been pretty painless. I believe Apple has essentially eliminated DVD/CD drives on all their current machines except the Mac Pro line. So, my vote would be to bit the bullet and go for a Mac Book, realizing Apple wants to kill optical discs and you'll have to use external drives to burn and store data or create video files on optical discs.
03-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
Being a rather agnostic user of Macs and PCs (two Mac Pros plus wife's iMac, two PCs for spoolers and invoicing/business and an Asus notebook, I have some opinions FWIW.

MAC uses the same industry sources for hard drives, SSDs, video cards, as everyone else. That said, Apple tends to spend a bit more time with their implementation and utilization, particularly in the Mac Pros which have far superior internal cooling than most PCs. As an example, in most PCs, the HDs are stacked in a cluster, building up heat that kills motors and bearings. In the Pros, they are sequentially lined up, taking advantage of superior air flow throughout the machine. The better cooling in a Mac is not only quieter, the video cards, memory, power supplies, etc., tend to run longer without failure.

Unfortunately, things are more cramped in the notebook/laptop world and almost all suffer from heat buildup although Apple manages it well. My ASUS, barely a a year old and out of warranty, has been a disaster. The hinges on the screen have broken and it is a well-documented problem that ASUS refuses to acknowledge. Their extremely poor customer service is also well documented. There are some excellent machines in the PC world but when it comes to customer support and service, no one seems to even come close to Apple Care. It is expensive on top of already premium priced hardware, although one can often find the Apple Care package on ebay for far less than buying the documentation/registration packet directly from Apple.

Adobe use to allow swapping current software PC versions to the Apple versions by signing documentation whereby one pledges to destroy all discs and remove it from existing machines. I'm not sure if this is still policy. It is one the incentives that made me switch to the Apple world abut five years ago. In spite of some glitches along the way, including driver issues when Apple released new versions of their OS, working with stills and video on a Mac has been pretty painless. I believe Apple has essentially eliminated DVD/CD drives on all their current machines except the Mac Pro line. So, my vote would be to bit the bullet and go for a Mac Book, realizing Apple wants to kill optical discs and you'll have to use external drives to burn and store data or create video files on optical discs.
CDW - thanks very much for such a balanced and clear overview. That pretty well spells out the strengths and weaknessess of both systems. much appreciated.

03-22-2013, 01:36 AM   #20

Build yourself a PC

Build a PC for the heavy lifting plus a good and cheap wide gamut screen, like Dell or Asus.
So you can edit your files in near AdobeRGB vs near sRGB on IPS-Laptopscreens.

Some Applications like capture one use a graphics card for rendering raw files. So a OpenCL-capable graphics card is very useful.

yours
Vienese