Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
What notebook to process 645D DNG files?

We are looking to get a notebook at some stage and are wondering what the options are. Specifically We want to be able to process 645D .DNG files on it. We don't mind waiting five seconds or so for individual files to load, but don't really want it taking more than that.
We use LR4 mostly and CS6 sometimes.
We would be using the notebook screen when travelling but would like the option of using an external screen also.
We've seen this advertised and wondered if it would do the job Buy APPLE 13" MacBook Pro MD212B/A With Retina Display Laptop | Free Delivery | Currys
At the moment we use a Windows desktop with Intel Core i5 processor and 16GB RAM. However initially it had 8GB RAM, and upgrading to 16GB made no noticeable difference to speed or anything else that's noticeable!

If not this notebook what do you suggest please?

Also the desktop we have has three fans a least, and is very noisy (I'm deaf and it's even noisy to me when I have my hearing aids in!). We can't see anything wrong with the fans, and they aren't clogged up with dust. Would the notebook be similarly noisy or does it use heat sinks instead or something?

Finally whilst posting, do you know if my LR4 licence allows loading on a notebook as well as desktop, and if so whether one can be Windows and the other Apple? Likewise CS6?

We are in the UK. Thanks for any advice on this.

03-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take a look at the sony vaio s series. Cheap, light, and very powerful (quad-core with HT and 1gb graphics).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Newmoon Quote
At the moment we use a Windows desktop with Intel Core i5 processor and 16GB RAM. However initially it had 8GB RAM, and upgrading to 16GB made no noticeable difference to speed or anything else that's noticeable!
Do you a 64 bit OS and the 64bit versions of the software installed? I had to upgrade to 64 bit to take advantage of my upgrade to 8GB of RAM, which works pretty well for me on the 645D .dng files in 16bit. CS6 is MUCH better than CS4 was...it nearly crashed my system everytime I loaded the lens correction filter! With CS6 everything runs smoother and the ACR RAW software is quite superior in terms of extracting clean data from the RAW files.
03-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

IMO, macs are good but not at the price they sell.

What you need:

1. A SSD is a must. This will load everything way faster.

2. Try to find one with an IPS screen. Since on the noteboks you swivel the screen continuously, regular panels loose brightness and contrast if not viewed at perfect angle. With IPS screens this is minimized.

3. Around 8GB of ram should suffice.

4. After fulfilling all above, get the highest YOU you can get.

Don't spend money on a discrete video card. It will be useless for what you intend on doing with it.

Get an external storage to backup stuff. SSDs are expensive, so it doesn't make sense getting one larder than 128GB or 256GB. 256GB would be the sweet spot.

Don't pay for the brand.

For the same money you you get an apple or sony, you can get a superior acer/asus/lenovo.

03-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Macs aren't just about the hardware spec. They're about the build quality, the fact that all the hardware has come from the same vendor, and that the entire OS is written for such a small range of hardware. Add on to this the OS being a BSD based OS, and you have a system to absolutely runs rings around anything that runs Windows.
I don't want to start a flame war, just take this into consideration.

My only point would be that you might find is that the 13" might feel a bit limited in regards to screen real estate. Unless you intend on running an external display when at home.
03-09-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
Do you a 64 bit OS and the 64bit versions of the software installed? I had to upgrade to 64 bit to take advantage of my upgrade to 8GB of RAM, which works pretty well for me on the 645D .dng files in 16bit. CS6 is MUCH better than CS4 was...it nearly crashed my system everytime I loaded the lens correction filter! With CS6 everything runs smoother and the ACR RAW software is quite superior in terms of extracting clean data from the RAW files.
Hi Ryan
Yes I use Windows 7 64 bit on the desktop.
03-09-2013, 11:58 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Deno

Thanks Deni.
I agree with the SSD. I have three drives on the desktop, one of which is a 120GB SSD and holds all the software. It is only just big enough and I regularly get a red warming that only 4GB left or whatever. This happens when the Recycle Bin is too full for some reason, as I've been told on another post that deleting files to to the bin does not actually move them to the bin, so why it fills up the C Drive when I delete something on the E Drive I don't know. Anyway emptying the bin gets me back out of the red with about 7GB free.
The advice seems to be not to switch to Apple, so I'll follow that, even though having got used to the iPad and iPhone with touch screen and Cloud synchronisation an Apple rather appealed!
I note what you say about IPS screens and discreet video cards (not sure what the latter does though).
Are there any specifics I should look for with screen resolution for maximum suitability for photo editing? This and web browsing and posting is probably all the notebook will be used for.

QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
IMO, macs are good but not at the price they sell.

What you need:

1. A SSD is a must. This will load everything way faster.

2. Try to find one with an IPS screen. Since on the noteboks you swivel the screen continuously, regular panels loose brightness and contrast if not viewed at perfect angle. With IPS screens this is minimized.

3. Around 8GB of ram should suffice.

4. After fulfilling all above, get the highest YOU you can get.

Don't spend money on a discrete video card. It will be useless for what you intend on doing with it.

Get an external storage to backup stuff. SSDs are expensive, so it doesn't make sense getting one larder than 128GB or 256GB. 256GB would be the sweet spot.

Don't pay for the brand.

For the same money you you get an apple or sony, you can get a superior acer/asus/lenovo.
03-10-2013, 12:06 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
The one Post for Apple!

Hi Lurch
Thanks for the post. Apple definitely have the design and aesthetics, and this comes at a premium price unfortunately.
I'm away from my software and desktop for the next week - do you know if my current Windows versions of LR4 and CS6 are multi platform, or would I be left having to buy more software? The cost of this would be the definite deal breaker.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
Macs aren't just about the hardware spec. They're about the build quality, the fact that all the hardware has come from the same vendor, and that the entire OS is written for such a small range of hardware. Add on to this the OS being a BSD based OS, and you have a system to absolutely runs rings around anything that runs Windows.
I don't want to start a flame war, just take this into consideration.

My only point would be that you might find is that the 13" might feel a bit limited in regards to screen real estate. Unless you intend on running an external display when at home.

Smoke signals.

03-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'll look at the Sony notebooks

Thanks Adam. I'll have a look at these.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Take a look at the sony vaio s series. Cheap, light, and very powerful (quad-core with HT and 1gb graphics).
03-10-2013, 12:16 AM   #10
Pentaxian

If you can afford a 645d, the pricing of Apple should not bother you much. I use MacBook Air (2.0GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 + 8 GB of RAM) and run my LR4 on an external hard drive, and use an Eizo monitor off it.

The speed is not much of an issue in that you know down loading of files will be slow; I for one start it, walk away and do something else, and come back to it sometimes later. Processing of files with LR4, photoshop, or any of NIK softwares are reasonable in terms of speed.

I have never used anything other Mac in my whole life, so I never dream of using something else instead.
03-10-2013, 05:18 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Fair point!

Reasonable point, though I was beyond my comfort zone when buying the 645D and only managed it by selling all other gear I'd accumulated over the years.
Having said that I haven't regretted the purchase.
I'm coming from the opposite computer park, and have never owned a Mac and always had Windows based machines.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
If you can afford a 645d, the pricing of Apple should not bother you much. I use MacBook Air (2.0GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 + 8 GB of RAM) and run my LR4 on an external hard drive, and use an Eizo monitor off it.

The speed is not much of an issue in that you know down loading of files will be slow; I for one start it, walk away and do something else, and come back to it sometimes later. Processing of files with LR4, photoshop, or any of NIK softwares are reasonable in terms of speed.

I have never used anything other Mac in my whole life, so I never dream of using something else instead.
03-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

As Lurch said Macs aren't just about components. It is the entire integration of the package and thought process that goes into it. From designing superb cases specifically for the components to be used to the cheap Apple Care warranty. Everything from the quietest cooling fans in the industry to batteries to speakers/microphone to keyboards to magnetic power cable integrate perfectly.

Once you start looking at PC's with the same quality case let alone the entire package the price gap dwindles. I have been through PC's and Macs. My PC's always die because of something with the construction (poorly designed screen hinge, case flexing eventually cracking the plastic, $h!ty track pads, etc.). The macs die when components wear out. Not to mention the resale value of Macs compared to PC's. Longest running PC I ever had was a business grade Dell which had a equivalent case construction but still failed in the integration of everything. Sad thing is this computer sold for only 5-10% less than an equivalent Mac. Would easily have paid 5% more for complete integration and ergonomics.

The disadvantage of Macs is some incompatibility with some hard drive formats between Mac and Windows, the PITA of using Microsoft Office software ( but really no good substitute for it), and no support for WMA and WMV files (why Windows has full compatibility with all media formats but Mac doesn't still astonishes me).

I use a full-size Macbook Pro with Retina the 2.6ghz quad core processor and 16gb ram with SSD drive. Files are generally fast; but, with stitching 6 or so 645D images it gets slow or when you starting working on multiple layers. If you are doing a lot of layers with your files or photo stitching and you still want speed you need to go for a desktop. I don't do enough of those to justify the lack of portability so I just suffer for 2% of my editing. The sad thing is Apple is in no hurry to introduce a new Pro Mac tower leaving the current one the only Mac I would consider over priced. If they would come out with a new tower the old one would drop in price to where it should be selling given it's age and component options.

LR4 is multiplatform, don't know about CS6. I do know though that the upgrades across platforms are the same cost. I upgraded my Windows CS5 to CS6 Mac for same cost as Windows to Windows. Adobe is very helpful and supportive of changing platforms. Call them and find out, at a maximum I bet they would only charge a small administrative fee for the code swap.
03-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Hello.

A SSD is all about compromises, unfortunately like everything else.

When you're limited to 128GB of space, then it should be used for the OS, main software, and in your case, the files your working with.

The rest should go in secondary or external storage.

If you continuously have "troubles" with deleted files, then press shift + delete when you delete them. Careful though, as this command is permanent delete. It doesn't just move them to the recycle bin but deletes them.
As per Apple products, yes they are way better built than usual consumer products but IMO not better than purposely built workstations.

Either way, windows pc or apple, you should look for SSD + IPS. The rest are of secondary importance.

Deni
03-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #14
Forum Member

Hi , i process my 645D files on a 4 YO IMAC , and a latest version MAC AIR, fully loaded, with SSD and maxed out RAM.. It runs like a Bullet train, PS6 opens in 3 secs and editing doing Panos /stitching takes seconds... whatever you do get a SSD.. and the biggest you can afford...

On my 4YO Imac, i regularly stitch 3 shot 645D files, takes about 90-120 secs , so not too bad, i only use the AIR when i travel for checking files and backing up to SSD, screen size is small which is the downside for editing, can be done, but m used to the IMAC for real estate..... the IMac is 27 inch..

Never used Windoze so cant comment..

Hope it helps.
03-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Bigvern1263
Thanks. Can I clarify something with MAC AIR and SSD please? Are you referring to an external or internal SSD (or both) or am I misunderstanding this?
Does the SSD hold your files and programs?
I'm unclear where the files that are being processed in LR or PS are kept.
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by Bigvern1263 Quote
Hi , i process my 645D files on a 4 YO IMAC , and a latest version MAC AIR, fully loaded, with SSD and maxed out RAM.. It runs like a Bullet train, PS6 opens in 3 secs and editing doing Panos /stitching takes seconds... whatever you do get a SSD.. and the biggest you can afford...

On my 4YO Imac, i regularly stitch 3 shot 645D files, takes about 90-120 secs , so not too bad, i only use the AIR when i travel for checking files and backing up to SSD, screen size is small which is the downside for editing, can be done, but m used to the IMAC for real estate..... the IMac is 27 inch..

Never used Windoze so cant comment..

Hope it helps.

Last edited by Newmoon; 03-11-2013 at 03:14 PM.