Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Renewed interst in the 645D

Based on what I see in some other forums, there seems to be rising interest in the 645D. Price drop ? Price of good lenses for the D800 vs. used 645 lenses that do quite well on the 645D? Any thoughts?

03-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would be surprised if interest is rising on other forums without any of the forum posters providing any justification for it.
03-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Thomas Quote
Based on what I see in some other forums, there seems to be rising interest in the 645D. Price drop ? Price of good lenses for the D800 vs. used 645 lenses that do quite well on the 645D? Any thoughts?
Well they are currently giving away a free 55mm with the body, and you can save $500 on each of the other two lenses, so it's a good incentive!

Big Savings on the Pentax 645D System (USA) - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Then again, most of Nikon's pro glass also saw some nice rebates recently. It really depends on what you need! The 645D has a much narrower audience than 35mm systems, of course.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #4

I have being looking to buy the 645D. I just purchased a beautiful 645n and it came with 3 FA lens's that I am told will work with the 645D. I see the infrared 645D and used 645D's out in the market place. Am I better off saving money and going for a used 645D or suck it up and buy a new 645D with a lens special? I look forward to any advise.

Regards,
Paul

03-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Sunbumpaul Quote
I have being looking to buy the 645D. I just purchased a beautiful 645n and it came with 3 FA lens's that I am told will work with the 645D. I see the infrared 645D and used 645D's out in the market place. Am I better off saving money and going for a used 645D or suck it up and buy a new 645D with a lens special? I look forward to any advise.

Regards,
Paul
Up to you what you want to do, but if you're gonna spend that kind of money, I'd buy new and take the free lens + warranty.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #6

Warranty

Sellers are telling me that the warranty is transferable. Do you know if this is true or not?
03-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Sunbumpaul Quote
Sellers are telling me that the warranty is transferable. Do you know if this is true or not?
As long as they have the original receipts it should be transferable, yes.

Adam

03-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #8

It's actually a nice thing that there is some more interest in the camera given it's age regardless of what the reasons are. Pentax, especially in Canada and the USA is a marketing disaster and any local trade show you go to does not showcase work done by photographers using their equipment around their booth. Nick Brandt and others create stunning images with their Pentax gear so why not show some of that work ? Why not show the top of the line gear and the images it can produce which would make the cheaper products still feel like they descent from that "high end" DNA ?

Most photo buying consumers, still believe that if a person such as Steve McCurry uses Nikon it means that Nikon at least in some part fuels his talent. Why not use that delusion to expand the eco system like other companies are ? Canon and nikon always pimp their top users in their marketing material and in big prints around their booth. Why is Pentax not taking one of the best and least "me to" products in their portfolio and making a bigger push to get more professionals on board ? The eco system of the camera will only suffer if the marketing is handled as poorly as it has been so far.

I hope that a 645DII will be announced at some point this year and I hope that the marketing of the camera will be pushed further than the current lame attempt which actually devalues the image of an otherwise great piece of equipment. At the end of the day, what is good for Pentax is good for it's customers.

03-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by larkis Quote
I hope that a 645DII will be announced at some point this year and I hope that the marketing of the camera will be pushed further than the current lame attempt which actually devalues the image of an otherwise great piece of equipment. At the end of the day, what is good for Pentax is good for it's customers.
I agree that Pentax has done a very poor job marketing the 645D. When I was looking at options to upgrade from the resolution of my Canon 5D mark II, I looked at some medium format digital cameras (all were way out of my price range) and then started thinking about shooting 4x5 film to get the resolution, as that was more affordable. Then when talking with another photographer, he mentioned the 645D, which came in at 10K USD and had an assortment of really good used glass for reasonable prices. Not once have I ever seen a single adverstisement in a publication like Outdoor Photographer or other magazine promoting this incredidble camera. I think it's rediculas that Pentax hasn't advertised much in the US Market, as we have sooo many landscape shooters and this is an awesome landscape camera.

Furthermore, my local camera store had never even heard of the 645D, only the 645 film bodies. They said they used to sell Pentax, as they are great designed and affordable, but that all of the regional sales reps had been laid off by Pentax and they hadn't even been able to get their products, let alone support.

When I'm in the field, especially in the national parks a lot of other photographers come up to me and ask about my camera. Many of them have never heard of the 645D. 95% of them are shooting Canon or Nikon, and I see a few Phase One, Mamiya, and Hasselblad shooters every once in a while, but I've never seen another photographer in the field with the 645D...seems crazy to me, given the great quality and value that it offers, especially in landscape photography.

That all says to me that Pentax has really dropped the ball on the advertising end of things, despite making a great landscape camera system.
03-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #10

Yes, it is really funny to be photographing a landscape and have another photographer ask about your equipment. When I tell them that it is Pentax, the reply is that "Oh yeah, my grandfather had one of those. Do they still make them?" Allways gets me to laugh so I guess it ain't all bad!
03-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #11

Some of that renewed interest might be a bit of pent-up interest due to cost. Anticipation of a new model, hoping more cameras make it into the used market so prices may drop a bit more.

I'm just a hobbyist. I love photography, even though I'm not anywhere near the pro level. Photography is a major enjoyment activity, and a major stress reliever in my life. I'll gladly pay more than I probably should for stress relief that works well for me.

My 645N feels perfect in my hands. I would love to have a 645D - but it's taking a while to save the money to get one. And I'd bet there are others out there such as myself, who would purchase if the prices were a bit more attainable.
03-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
When I'm in the field, especially in the national parks a lot of other photographers come up to me and ask about my camera. Many of them have never heard of the 645D. 95% of them are shooting Canon or Nikon, and I see a few Phase One, Mamiya, and Hasselblad shooters every once in a while, but I've never seen another photographer in the field with the 645D...seems crazy to me, given the great quality and value that it offers, especially in landscape photography.
When serious photographers don't know the 645D then advertising budget is wasted on them. I used the 645D for 15 days last year, mainly sports, and a side a hockeyfield there where photographers asking what kind of big camera I was using (645D with FA*300mm), but a few off the important photographers did know the big beast, but where surprised to see it on a sports event.
03-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #13
Site Supporter

How'd you like it for sports?

I think I'm too much of a spray and pray kinda guy...
03-18-2013, 02:11 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I first noticed the 645D in Digital Photographer magazine and discounted it immediately because of it's 10,000 price. I bought it almost by accident when helping a colleague select a DSLR. Bought it in Tokyo for equivalent of 6,000. It has been in a few camera mags in the UK.
03-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I've only seen one ad for the 645D and that was in landscape & wildlife photographer, a digital magazine that appears to be out of the UK. Why Pentax seems to avoid advertising in the USA is lost on me.