Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
67 Prism finder rubber eyepiece?

Hey, all.

I'm looking for a rubber eyepiece for a P67 Prism finder. I've found an auction seller in China, but I wouldn't mind paying a fraction more for the real deal if I can find one. Any one know of a possible vendor?

03-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Hey, all.

I'm looking for a rubber eyepiece for a P67 Prism finder. I've found an auction seller in China, but I wouldn't mind paying a fraction more for the real deal if I can find one. Any one know of a possible vendor?
jandjvenckus on eBay often have them NOS/NIB. Sending a message or following notifification might be worth a try.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-16-2013 at 08:06 AM.
03-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Germar, could you give the measurements for the area of the eyecup... or anyone. I would wonder if the kind found on video camera eyepieces would be as good?

Diameter of the groove and thickness of the groove would help... maybe a person who has video gear could advise for a similar fit?
03-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KEH usually has them in stock for about $33.00.

Phil.

03-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
KEH usually has them in stock for about $33.00.

Phil.
Thanks, Phil. It wasn't obvious when I searched P67 prism accessories this morning, but perhaps an email is in order.

@Mysteryonion, I just hunted around to see if I could find specs on what the size originally was for those things. I did find a system brochure, but no mention of the eyecup! I did find a couple more home-made vendors on the auction site, sent a message asking a few questions.
03-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Thanks, Phil. It wasn't obvious when I searched P67 prism accessories this morning, but perhaps an email is in order.

@Mysteryonion, I just hunted around to see if I could find specs on what the size originally was for those things. I did find a system brochure, but no mention of the eyecup! I did find a couple more home-made vendors on the auction site, sent a message asking a few questions.
Yeah I just checked KEH and it looks like they are out of stock.

Phil.
03-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The Chinese seller is the way to go. All eyepieces are made in China!
A few of those sellers in Hong Kong are known to me, supplying several for myself and friends. The eyepiece has an internal groove which allows the native knurled eyepiece ring to sit within it, thus avoiding it getting lost or being knocked off.
$33 is a ridiculous price to pay, absolutely. Avoid that.

03-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
The Chinese seller is the way to go. All eyepieces are made in China!
A few of those sellers in Hong Kong are known to me, supplying several for myself and friends. The eyepiece has an internal groove which allows the native knurled eyepiece ring to sit within it, thus avoiding it getting lost or being knocked off.
$33 is a ridiculous price to pay, absolutely. Avoid that.
I agree the prices KEH and some eBay sellers (jandjvenckus) charge for the original Pentax item is ridiculous, but they are hard to find so I guess they figure they can get away with it.

I have seen some from other sellers on eBay for around $20.00, but they don’t show up very often and sell quickly.

I have the original Pentax 6x7 eyecup and mine is made in Japan. They work the same way by screwing into the eyepiece frame using the ring from the regular or TTL prism.

Phil.
04-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
One solution....

Okay, I started this thread a while ago while searching for an affordable source of original Pentax 67 rubber eyepieces. I learned that while they're out there, they are truly over the top expensive, in the 45-55 USD range.

I finally selected an auction site vendor that was here in the US. He goes by the attractive name of discounted_deals_4_u, and he sells eyepieces specifically for the Pentax 67. I bought one shipped for 12.95, and you can buy in multiples for a little less.

The eyepiece rubber seems perfectly cast and pliant, not too stiff and not too soft. I have no idea what will happen when I sweat all over it, but I can tell you that it comes with a METAL threaded window to exactly replace the eyepiece in the prism. What's more, the window has a piece of real glass in place to protect the prism's innards. Not too shabby, considering some of the Chinese sourced eyecups require the use of the original eyepiece to hold them in place.

The window ring doesn't thread as far down as the original eyepiece, but far enough to be very solidly attached. A quick peek into the prism shows me a very good view, perhaps a tiny, tiny touch of vignetting due to my eye being farther away from the viewport itself. The meter needle is viewed with no issues.

Okay, so thumbs up so far on this eyepiece replacement, and shame on all those vendors trying to score 50 bucks for a bit of rubber because it's got Pentax stamped on it. If you're looking for this accessory, you might check this vendor out. I had no issues.

Regards
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SAMSUNG-SGH-I747  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SAMSUNG-SGH-I747  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SAMSUNG-SGH-I747  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SAMSUNG-SGH-I747  Photo 
04-06-2013, 01:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Any eyepiece will be OK, including, but not limited to, those made for the Nikon F100. Direct fit and wider range of dioptric correction lenses.
The fellow in China from whom I purchased two eyecups for my 67 has a direct line to the manufacturing area of many and numerous rubber accessories; they are literally experts in the design and precise fitting, with no vignetting at all.

There is a particular eBay seller ... JandJVenckus I think, charging truly exhorbitant, astronomical postage on the tiniest 67 accessories e.g. winding mechanism key, something like $47.50 postage not negotiable (!), more than twice the reasonable cost of the key. I'd love to know how they are getting away with that, but it doesn't appear that they move much stock at all on eBay...

I would recommend everybody install an eyecup to prevent extraneous light from affecting the TTL meter (where fitted; being a multi-spot metering officionado I don't often use TTL meter now).