Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Arca-Swiss Z1: Flip-Lock or Screw?

After quite a lot of searching, I've decided to go with the Arca-Swiss Z1 DP over the RRS BH-55 for my 645D. However, I'm not sure if I should go with the flip-lock or screw clamp. I like to do macro and panos, so I'm thinking that the screw type may be the better choice.

Anyone use either type?

I'm also looking for a good body plate with a anti-twist pin. Acratech has one, not sure if Arca-Swiss has one specifically designed for the 645D.

Thanks for your input.

Frank

03-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Certainly a bit of a personal preference as either works. My vote is the screw type. It takes a tiny bit longer but I like the confidence of feeling it snug up tight. I've used lever lock heads in the past and just plain don't trust them. But that's me, I know others like them and use them.

If you have the chance to test them out I would compare the two and see which you like best.
03-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have used both and for my type of photography, the lever-type works best. I do a lot of landscape and outdoor shooting and keep an L-plate on the camera most of the time. The lever clamp makes it faster and simpler to switch back and forth between landscape and portrait formats - basically just flip open, rotate camera and flip locked. If you do a lot more macro and other "finicky" shooting where you don't have to dismount the camera often you might prefer the screw clamp for the extra security. YMMV.
03-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I used to have the B1 (and still have a small PhotoClam) and I liked the screw-clamp a lot. Just one turn and slide the plate out (instead of opening the clamp all the way for the plate to drop in). The pro of screw clamps is that it will work with any plates w/o adjustment while lever clamp might be a little picky with different manufacturers.

03-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the flip lock on a Z1. If all your plates are the same size and you never work in cold weather, the flip lock is fine, otherwise get the screw. I have to adjust the flip lock for different plates and it can become very difficult to open in cold weather. RRS has a good plate for the 645, as does Acratech, I have both (but they are not the same width - hence the problem with the flip lock). The Z1 is a terrific head.
03-18-2013, 05:59 AM   #6

With the screw type, you can attach any type of plate system, and don't need to change the head if you switch the brand (eg. bogen/manfrotto vs RRS vs others)
e.g. this is a quick realease adapter from bogen

Manfrotto 394 Low Profile Quick Release Adapter with 410PL 394

Roberto