Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2013, 11:53 PM   #1

Best aperture with 55mm/f2.8 ?

Hi,

I'm owner of 55mm/f2.8 lens that I want to use for shooting panoramas. So I need to use at least f/8 but I'd like to know which aperture gives best result with this specific lens ? I have not been able to find detailed reviews on internet or here in forum of that lens to be able to know which aperture gives best result with that lens it'll be used with 645D

Thanks,

Vincèn

03-20-2013, 12:27 AM   #2

set your camera program to MTF and see what aperture it gives
03-20-2013, 12:51 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Patajac Quote
set your camera program to MTF and see what aperture it gives
Thanks for the info but is it really efficient ?
03-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vincen Quote
Hi,

I'm owner of 55mm/f2.8 lens that I want to use for shooting panoramas. So I need to use at least f/8 but I'd like to know which aperture gives best result with this specific lens ? I have not been able to find detailed reviews on internet or here in forum of that lens to be able to know which aperture gives best result with that lens it'll be used with 645D

Thanks,

Vincèn
I don't own that lens, so can't help you out based on my experience, but it seems most people testing a lens find a flat surface that has some texture to it (brick wall seems common) and shoot a variety of apertures, using a tripod, shutter release, and only varying the shutter speed to keep exposure the same. Then pull them into your software and zoom in to 100% and compare. Seems pretty tedious to me...so, I'd just guess that the sharpest will be around f/8 (combination of least diffraction and best corner sharpness). For panos, I'd consider shooting a bit small in the aperture, up to f/13 (or more as needed) as well, as you're going to end up with a HUGE file and I think the DOF would play a more important role than a little diffraction...but that's just my opinion!

03-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
I don't own that lens, so can't help you out based on my experience, but it seems most people testing a lens find a flat surface that has some texture to it (brick wall seems common) and shoot a variety of apertures, using a tripod, shutter release, and only varying the shutter speed to keep exposure the same. Then pull them into your software and zoom in to 100% and compare. Seems pretty tedious to me...so, I'd just guess that the sharpest will be around f/8 (combination of least diffraction and best corner sharpness). For panos, I'd consider shooting a bit small in the aperture, up to f/13 (or more as needed) as well, as you're going to end up with a HUGE file and I think the DOF would play a more important role than a little diffraction...but that's just my opinion!
Thanks Ryan, I guess you are right for process to find best value. In the meantime Pentax answered me and told I should use lens between f/5.6 and f/11 to get best results of this lens, so I'll use it at f/11 I think for panorama to get the best for it
03-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hi, i have been shooting a bit with my 55mm of late, also stitching panos, im finding it sharper and even better than my 35mm... which i guess it should be as designed specifically for the camera... The 35mm is also awesome btw...re which F stop , im using it on landscapes so i generally shoot from F11-F16... depending on subject matter/time of day etc.. i guess as this has a bit more zoom , no need to really go to F16, just habit... results are fine, i print large and prints are awesome... i guess i haven ttold you much other than its a good bloody lens... probalby a but underrated i would say...
03-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bigvern1263 Quote
Hi, i have been shooting a bit with my 55mm of late, also stitching panos, im finding it sharper and even better than my 35mm... which i guess it should be as designed specifically for the camera... The 35mm is also awesome btw...re which F stop , im using it on landscapes so i generally shoot from F11-F16... depending on subject matter/time of day etc.. i guess as this has a bit more zoom , no need to really go to F16, just habit... results are fine, i print large and prints are awesome... i guess i haven ttold you much other than its a good bloody lens... probalby a but underrated i would say...
yep definitively the lens is really nice a little quick try for a handheld pano last week

Flash interactive version here on my blog SkiVR La réalité virtuelle

03-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I guess it would depend on how much DoF is needed. I routinely shoot the 55mm at f/16--I make 4' to 5' prints or 12' panos. I will also shoot at f/22 as well. Set the aperture based on the DoF you need.