Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Problems with my DA 645 25 f/4

Looks like I will have to send it in for servicing as there is a lot of play in the middle of the lens right behind the focussing ring. It moves pretty freely, and I'm also finding it very soft indeed at the edges. Has anyone else with this lens had any issues with build quality? I don't know whether the excess play is the reason for softness, but it looks like Pentax servicing will be getting (even) more money from me.

04-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This sort of work should be covered by your warranty. I have also received a lens in the past that wasn't assembled properly, ended up getting it exchanged.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This sort of work should be covered by your warranty. I have also received a lens in the past that wasn't assembled properly, ended up getting it exchanged.
I bought mine used on commission from Ffordes, and in a spring clean my mother in law threw away the box, so I have no warranty card.
04-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
I bought mine used on commission from Ffordes, and in a spring clean my mother in law threw away the box, so I have no warranty card.
I don't know what the terms are in the UK, but in the US there are no warranty cards. You just need a receipt.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

One would think that at those prices, Pentax would have a robust design that would not need servicing for many years. On the other hand, if it was a flaw from the factory, it indicates that the assembly process was flawed and there was no quality assurance check before release to the customer. That would be very contrary to the traditional Deming based quality that Japan is famous for.
04-02-2013, 02:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

y have to date no problem with my D-FA sample, but i read one of the argument of issuing the DA version was cost cutting...
05-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I got mine back frm repair and the wobble has gone, but the lens now doesn't focus at all, not even if I set it to manual and set it at infinity. Waiting for Ffordes to send someone to pick it up again. Clearly it wasn't tested before it was sent back to them. Have to wonder what they DID do.

12-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, they weren't able to fix the lens and bearing in mind I bought it second hand, I am getting brand new lens next week. It took 6 months, but a good result I think
12-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
y have to date no problem with my D-FA sample, but i read one of the argument of issuing the DA version was cost cutting...
The DA 645 25 f/4 is a $5000 USD lens. Cost cutting?
12-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sorry to hear about your troubles, I've not had any issues with my D FA version.
12-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The DA 645 25 f/4 is a $5000 USD lens. Cost cutting?
Well, cost cutting doesn't mean price cutting
Don't forget the margin...
12-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Well, cost cutting doesn't mean price cutting
Don't forget the margin...
Ha, yes of course.

It's been a long time since I was in school but IIRC from a topic called Market Of The Millions where saving a little on material and parts while holding the price the same can add up. This lens just doesn't seem to fit that model. One would think they could easily charge $100 more for better parts/material and it really wouldn't really affect sales of a luxury item like this lens.
12-31-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I finally have my replacement lens. It arrived today, brand new wrapped in the box.
12-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
I finally have my replacement lens. It arrived today, brand new wrapped in the box.
That is nice

Did it really take 8 months to get a replacement?
Do you notice any free movement (that you experienced) in this lens?
How about softness in the corners that you mentioned with the original copy?

Have you noticed any purple-fringing in strong back-light subjects?
If so - what is your method to remove/minimize it?

Cheers!
01-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It did take some time, it was 'fixed' by a third party repair centre in the UK, but the lens wouldn't focus manually or otherwise. While it did take some time, the result was the right one in the end - the lens was not far off £5k new when I bought it used for £2k. Ffordes have kept in touch throughout, and this is the first time I have ever had any issues with them and I've bought quite a few of my lenses from them, plus a 645N. Pity it's a DA rather than a DFA, as would have loved to have had the extra width on film.

Have only done a couple of very simple shots with it, and it's working just fine. The weather is forecast to be terrible for some time, so could be a while before I get the opportunity to give it a proper runout.