Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2013, 11:21 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Just ordered the 645d

Hi!

After weeks of research and looking at as many websites, reviews, anecdotes, confessions and of course files as I could and even renting a D800e and printing files from that and other cameras I came to the conclusion that the 645d was right for me. (look at my 5D3 vs D800E test HERE

I ordered it with the kit lens and thanks to ebay and bhphoto I ordered several nice used lenses: 120mm f4 A macro (manual), 45-85mm f4.5 FA (AF), 75mm f2.8 FA (AF) and a 35mm f3.5 FA (AF).

This will be my main camera for studio and landscape.

I currently use a Canon 5D3 and a 1DS3 and have about 12 L lenses. I will still keep the Canon gear and use it for certain things. (I need the ultra wide angle capability and also the 70-200 IS).

Here is a sample of the variety of images I make: HERE

I have used different Canon DSLRs (started with Fuji S2 pro back in the day then 10D->1D2->5D->1DS3->5D3) and before digital I used 6x7 Pentax gear and Nikon 35mm film gear.

In the images on my portfolio I have used profoto flash lights, alien bees, arri tungsten and HMI's, Kino-Flo's and available light and sometimes a combination of several types!

I liked several things about the 645D:

1. Inetgrated and durable/reliable body with a great lcd and af (for MFDigital)
2. Lots of readily available lenses at good prices
3. Good Image quality at all iso's
4. HDMi output (I use it instead of the lcd sometimes for when clients supervise shoots)
5. 2 SD card slots, I love to use the eye-fi wifi sd card to send small jpgs to the ipad for fast client review.
6. Sensor shake integrated cleaning (dunno if it works well but none of the other MFD cameras have it)
7. Operates even in cold weather and harsh environments (heard horror stories about Hasselblad H's not working at and below freezing)

There were 2 other cameras on the short list, the H4D-40 and the Leica S2. The Leica came closer to meeting my needs than the Hassy but the cost was prohibitive and still lacks a few features the 645D has.

I will report on my impressions of the 645D when I finally get it! (hopefully by this weekend)

04-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You know that Hassy actually has the same sensor so in terms of sensor quality they should be pretty even.

How is the 645D working out for you in the studio, have been thinking about the same set up as yours actually.
04-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on the purchase- it sounds like the 645D is perfect for your needs. The only area where it noticeably falls behind the D800E IMO is lack of live view and high-ISO dynamic range.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yeah.

I was curious and thats why I tested the D800e. Unfortunately the live view on the Nikon was almost useless in low light and specially at night except maybe for framing (I can use the viewfinder for that). But did not really work for focusing. The LV in the Canon is MUCH better. For high iso I have the Canon. I will mainly use the 645d on a tripod at iso 100. If I can do more than that with it then thats just icing on the cake. Il report as soon as I get it.

04-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Welcome!

Hi Ken R, and happy 1st April!

I found your review. You work fast, my friend!

Glad you like the camera!

04-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the Leica S2 in the studio and on location myself but generally I find the 645D to be a more versatile camera. the Leica S2 has two lens lines for it - ones with the leaf shutter, and ones without. For studio and on location work the leaf shutter lenses are fantastic for working with flash - but the Pentax 645D has the 75mm f/2.8 LS and 135mm f/4 LS Leaf shutter lenses* - which negates one of the major drawcards of the Leica S2 - unless you need leaf shutters in longer or wider focal lengths than 75mm~135mm range.

*Unfortunately these are only available second hand, I wish would pentax re-introduce some leaf shutter lenses into their line up.
04-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Congrats on the purchase- it sounds like the 645D is perfect for your needs. The only area where it noticeably falls behind the D800E IMO is lack of live view and high-ISO dynamic range.
and the AF, the one of D800 is far more efficient than the one of 645D on tricky areas such as landscape

04-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vincen Quote
the one of D800 is far more efficient than the one of 645D on tricky areas such as landscape
And exactly what is it on the landscape that requires bleeding edge sports camera AF? I do landscape photography with 4X5 and 8X10 view cameras and I don't need AF.
04-02-2013, 12:29 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
And exactly what is it on the landscape that requires bleeding edge sports camera AF? I do landscape photography with 4X5 and 8X10 view cameras and I don't need AF.
I agree with you, I do manual focus most of time whatever camera I use 645D has some AF difficulties mainly when weather is not perfectly clear !
04-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I always use hyperfocal focusing when doing landscapes. AF is then a truly roundabout way of doing it!
On the other hand, I can't imaging the 645D has any problem with AF on landscapes. It isn't exactly going anywhere!
04-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I can't imaging the 645D has any problem with AF on landscapes. It isn't exactly going anywhere!
Exactly, I use hyperfocal focusing with smaller formats APSC-FX but for Meduim format digital especially with the phase one IQ180 I use focus stacking with view camera movements.
04-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #12
Banned

Congrats on the new 645D. I had a chance to use the 645D with a nice collection off lenses last year for 15 days. I found the AF working nicely fast with some off the lenses.

Pentax 645D, gebruikersreview (85 foto's)
04-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Welcome Ken R
I'll be looking at your feedback
04-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #14

Original Poster
Well, the package came in today! Sweeeet!

First impressions. Great camera. Smaller than I though it would be. Lighter too. Good to hold and absolutely awesome viewfinder. Really like the control layout. Not too many external buttons (like Nikon) and not too little (like leica). Im charging the battery. Should take some images in an hour or 2.

Last edited by Ken R; 04-07-2013 at 05:57 PM.
04-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One recommendation I wish I would have had...make sure to ocassionally check the rubber eyepiece for the viewfinder and the little threaded washer that holds it in place from time to time. I lost mine pretty early on and can't seem to find where to get a replacement...not even from Pentax when I called them about it. Over time it tends to come loose, several others have also lost their eye pieces due to this.