Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2013, 03:08 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
6 x 7 Outfit

Hi,

I have been offered a Pentax 6 x 7 camera with the genuine wooden grip along with the following genuine lens:-
(i) 45mm f 4
(ii) 55mm f 4
(iii) 105mm f 2.4
(iv) 135mm f 4 Macro
(v) 150mm f 2.8

All of the equipment is reported to be in good to very good condition, but I will know more when I see it in a fortnight's time.
What my question is what would it be worth, approximately?
It is located in Australia.

Regards.

04-04-2013, 03:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I gave up photographing 2 1/4 over 30 years ago because I couldn't afford the film and processing. I suspect now you would need to do the processing yourself. I haven't seen much of it sold in Aus,
04-04-2013, 05:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Here is a good place to start - KEH has an excellent reputation for selling used equipment:
Pentax 6x7 Camera Bodies - KEH.com
04-04-2013, 05:35 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought an origional 6x7 with out mirror lockup and a 135macro lens for about $300USD a year ago. I'd guess that those lenses are worth about $150 each with the 45mm being worth more. So it's likely worth somewhere around $1,500USD. Note that the 105 f2.4 is the 'normal' lens for that camera.

04-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Hey Gordon,

I've been looking at 67 kits as well, as I have slowly been schooling up on developing and enlarging my own prints with a K1000. Bob is right... film and developing is expensive if you go through the labs, since on a 67 you only get about 10 frames on a roll of 120, as I recall (better check that factoid). You'd want to be doing it for the art!

When I was looking recently there were a few 67 kits on the various local classified sites. They ranged from ~AU$400 for a body and a single lens, to ~AU$600 for a couple of lenses up to a couple of grand for a whole kit with multiple prisms and lenses. I investigated one set up that was little more than a (battered) body and lens at the lower end of the price range and decided it wasn't worth it; I'd rather spend more on a better kit but I'm just not at that point of the learning curve to justify a MF camera at over $1000 yet. If that offer of yours is for a few accessories as well and a good body... it could well be up the higher end.

Best of luck, and let us know how you go,

Rob
04-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOtherRob Quote
Hey Gordon,

I've been looking at 67 kits as well, as I have slowly been schooling up on developing and enlarging my own prints with a K1000. Bob is right... film and developing is expensive if you go through the labs, since on a 67 you only get about 10 frames on a roll of 120, as I recall (better check that factoid). You'd want to be doing it for the art!

When I was looking recently there were a few 67 kits on the various local classified sites. They ranged from ~AU$400 for a body and a single lens, to ~AU$600 for a couple of lenses up to a couple of grand for a whole kit with multiple prisms and lenses. I investigated one set up that was little more than a (battered) body and lens at the lower end of the price range and decided it wasn't worth it; I'd rather spend more on a better kit but I'm just not at that point of the learning curve to justify a MF camera at over $1000 yet. If that offer of yours is for a few accessories as well and a good body... it could well be up the higher end.

Best of luck, and let us know how you go,
Rob
Wise advice. I'll just confirm that you get 10 images per 120 roll (20 per 220 roll). That is a nice set of lenses but honestly, even after more than a year of ownership of mine, I'm very happy with my 75/105/135/300 lenses that I built up slowly as I learned the camera and found a need for them.

BTW here is a nice summary of 6x7 lenses Antique and Classic Cameras

A couple of things you will need to find out are does the body have mirror lock up (this is useful on slow shutter speeds), if it has it, it should cost a bit more than the original body and which viewfinder does it have. There are 3 as I recall, the normal one, the waist level viewfinder, and the metered viewfinder. The one with the light meter in it is more expensive. I don't have one for mine and use an external light meter with the camera.
04-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

$2,400 assuming mint condition of all items.
The 45mm f4 and 55mm f4 together would be around $900 to $1000 in mint condition.
I would be more inclined to concentrate on the condition and operation of the 6x7 (assuming it's an early version, not the updated 67 model). These cameras are really getting on now and if they have been in storage unused for a long time or belted about...I would expect trouble, and repairs in Australia require a fair bit of research (Camera Clinic in Melbourne does repairs, but not sure about replacement parts). The opposite is true if it is a mint condition camera, used occasionally, not bashed around and obviously looked after by the owner — it will deliver in aces and spades (assuming you know your lenswork!). Do not judge by photographs alone, but handle the camera and preferably, ask if you can expose a roll of film in it. Most private buyers will agree to this if they are honest about the camera. In good knick, that system you are being offered is to die for, really! The two lenses I mentioned are crackers (the 45mm is my all-time favourite prime but also gets upstaged by the 165mm LS!).

04-08-2013, 02:36 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
120 film

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
I gave up photographing 2 1/4 over 30 years ago because I couldn't afford the film and processing. I suspect now you would need to do the processing yourself. I haven't seen much of it sold in Aus,
Hi Bob from Aus,

120 and 35 mm film and processing is readily available from Photocontinental in Brisbane.

Regards.
04-08-2013, 02:40 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Pentax Repairs

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
$2,400 assuming mint condition of all items.
The 45mm f4 and 55mm f4 together would be around $900 to $1000 in mint condition.
I would be more inclined to concentrate on the condition and operation of the 6x7 (assuming it's an early version, not the updated 67 model). These cameras are really getting on now and if they have been in storage unused for a long time or belted about...I would expect trouble, and repairs in Australia require a fair bit of research (Camera Clinic in Melbourne does repairs, but not sure about replacement parts). The opposite is true if it is a mint condition camera, used occasionally, not bashed around and obviously looked after by the owner — it will deliver in aces and spades (assuming you know your lens work!). Do not judge by photographs alone, but handle the camera and preferably, ask if you can expose a roll of film in it. Most private buyers will agree to this if they are honest about the camera. In good knick, that system you are being offered is to die for, really! The two lenses I mentioned are crackers (the 45mm is my all-time favourite prime but also gets upstaged by the 165mm LS!).
Hi,

I use a gentleman who trades as f16 Camera Repairs here in Brisbane. He has a web site under f16.

Regards.
04-08-2013, 03:55 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
6 x 7 Outfit
Now this is what I call, proper big boy kit, if you do buy, just wait to see the quality of images you can get from negs that size.
04-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #11
Pentaxian

There are many generations of the same lenses in the 6x7 lineup. Some lenses only changed cosmetically from one generation to the next. But yet others did change their optical design. Most notable in that list is the 55mm. Take note of a subtle difference in the description on the lenses. For example:

SMC Pentax 6x7 55mm f4 and SMC Pentax 67 55mm f4

Are not the same generation of lens both optically and cosmetically. The latter is more highly regarded. Consult this Pentax 6x7 Lens Guide for more information. The rating system it gives is relative to other Pentax lenses and not to other camera systems.
04-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hi,

I use a gentleman who trades as f16 Camera Repairs here in Brisbane. He has a web site under f16.

Regards.
Sounds like a professional outlet. You're obviously close by; call in and give the kit a thorough touchy-feely session, but especially a check of the condition of the 6x7 body.
Tuco is right regarding the lenses; I would be more inclined though to stick to the modern era (SMC Pentax 67 ***) lenses for their obvious ruggedness and solid feel as opposed to the ancient Takumars. Truth be told, you will have your socks knocked off at the image quality capable with this system, especially with the 45mm and/or 55mm lenses. It really is a dream system you're eyeballing.
04-09-2013, 12:55 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
6x7

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Sounds like a professional outlet. You're obviously close by; call in and give the kit a thorough touchy-feely session, but especially a check of the condition of the 6x7 body.
Tuco is right regarding the lenses; I would be more inclined though to stick to the modern era (SMC Pentax 67 ***) lenses for their obvious ruggedness and solid feel as opposed to the ancient Takumars. Truth be told, you will have your socks knocked off at the image quality capable with this system, especially with the 45mm and/or 55mm lenses. It really is a dream system you're eyeballing.
Hi,

I have just spoken to the gentleman who has the outfit for sale.

The camera is an 6x7 with MLU, and S/N 4125660. It is fitted with a Meter, S/N 575699.
The 45mm f4 is an SMC Pentax 6x7
The 55mm f4 is an SMC Pentax 6x7
The 105mm f2.4 is an SMC Pentax 67
The 135mm f4 is an Super-Multi-Coated Macro Takumar 6x7
The 150mm f2.8 is an Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 6x7

He does not know what type of meter it is fitted with, however.

Regards.
04-09-2013, 02:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Hi,

I have just spoken to the gentleman who has the outfit for sale.

The camera is an 6x7 with MLU, and S/N 4125660. It is fitted with a Meter, S/N 575699.
The 45mm f4 is an SMC Pentax 6x7
The 55mm f4 is an SMC Pentax 6x7
The 105mm f2.4 is an SMC Pentax 67
The 135mm f4 is an Super-Multi-Coated Macro Takumar 6x7
The 150mm f2.8 is an Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 6x7

He does not know what type of meter it is fitted with, however.

Regards.

Here's some detective work for you: ask him to look — you are, after all, considering purchase, no different to peaking under the bonnet of the car you fancy: if the "big box on the top" (prism) has a very small on/off toggle switch on the top right rear side and a bulky "bridge" to the shutter speed dial on the left, then it is a TTL prism meter (see photo; sorry about the focus; I've lost my glasses and typing this with very large text!!)

On the other hand, if it is just a prism with no bridge to the shutter speed dial, the it is a manual camera and you will need a separate light meter for exposures. But you can always buy a TTL prism meter off FleaBay (around AUD$370).

What condition is all this kit in? Any mention of it?

Now, I would inspect the 6x7 version 45 and 55mm lenses carefully; these are the older models, not quite Takumar vintage.The 135 and 150mm old Takumar lenses might be too much too soon; if you have the option to whittle down the list, be sensible because that kit is bloody heavy with all those lenses (you'll find out immediately the 67 / 6x7 itself is not a lightweight babe...). The 105mm would probably round out your kit perfectly as an introduction until you get a feel for telephoto lenses (my own kit is 45mm, 55mm and 165mm LS and all that is quite enough to haul around in the bush in a day!). The mirror-lock up is a must have for that reason (telephoto lenses and to negate mirror/shutter slap at low speeds).

• Photo: TTL prism meter

Last edited by Silent Street; 09-09-2014 at 04:16 PM.
04-17-2013, 02:14 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
6x7 Outfit

Hi,

I have been offered a Pentax 6 x 7 camera with the genuine wooden grip along with the following genuine lens:-
(i) 45mm f 4
(ii) 55mm f 4
(iii) 105mm f 2.4
(iv) 135mm f 4 Macro
(v) 150mm f 2.8

All of the equipment is reported to be in good to very good condition, but I will know more when I see it in a fortnight's time.
What my question is what would it be worth, approximately?
It is located in Australia.

Regards.
Hi All,

Today I picked up the above kit which also came with the following:-

(i) A 2 x AP67 MC6 Teleplus teleconvertor
(ii) A lens hood for the 45mm lens
(iii) A lens hood for the 55mm lens
(iv) An extension tube
(v) A Pentax reverse adapter for a lens with a 67mm filter thread
(vi) A full set of instruction books for the camera and lens
Vii) TTL meter on the camera

All of the equipment is in as new condition. The camera also has MLU. It came in a tidy Lowpro bag, and for this I paid $1500 AU without trying to negotiate with the present owner and for which I am very pleased. He has a Mamiya 6x7 for sale also and if anyone is interested let me know and I can investigate it for you.

Regards.