Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

645n imprint and VF discrepancies

When using some of my lenses such as the A35/3.5 and A150/3.5 I've noticed that the aperture value shown in the VF does not match the aperture ring setting. There is brief mention of this in the manual and they state that the VF values are approximations that are not always accurate. But now I've discovered that the exposure data imprinted on the film doesn't match the VF read out either. My question is about which one is accurate. I am inclined to think the values shown in the VF are accurate, and not the data imprinted on the film. I base that on a recent shoot I did of cherry blossoms. I was using the A35/3.5 and tried to keep my shutter speeds above 1/30 since I was shooting hand held. The photos turned out fine (I shared some of them in the MF photos thread) but the data on the film shows slower speeds than I was seeing in the VF. They are as low as 1/10, 1/15 and 1/20. I would expect some shake at those speeds but don't see any in the photos. So I'm thinking that the imprinted data is wrong. But the manual says it is the VF data that is an approximation. Alas, I didn't pay close attention to what the aperture ring settings were so I have no way of verifying this.

Does anyone know which data is accurate; the VF or the imprint?

I shot everything in aperture priority mode.

04-07-2013, 06:48 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I only recently acquired a 645n and have just begun to use the imprinted data. Never even thought to check it against the VF data. Sorry, I can't help here but I'm interested...