Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #1

35mm lens on the 645D, FA or A, that is the question

Hi, Im looking for a wider lens than my 45-85mm zoom (which is really nice) and saw that there is a 35mm both in A (MF) and FA (AF) variants. Is the newer FA much better optically? AF is not a must have for me in that focal length although I do prefer it in some situations.

04-08-2013, 05:06 PM - 4 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The FA costs about twice as much. I have the A version of the 35mm and find it my most popular lens for landscapes. It's very sharp and fantastic to work with. Also, keep in mind that the A has 77mm threads and the FA has 82mm threads. The A minimum aperture is f/22 and the FA is f/32.

The A is very easy to focus, as for landscapes I'm usually at infinity or close to it. It also produces very nice star bursts from f/16 to f/22. The lens is pretty bright looking through the viewfinder and easy to focus if you have good vision.

Unless you plan on shooting lots of people or moving objects with the lens, I'd just stick to the manual version...it's also nice to only need one filter ring size (77mm).

Here are a few shots I've taken with the 645 35mm A lens:

f/16

f/16

f/3.5, 13 sec. (Aurora Borealis)
04-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Also, take a look at the lens database, from what I've read they are optically different, but neither is particularly sharper than the other.
04-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
The FA costs about twice as much. I have the A version of the 35mm and find it my most popular lens for landscapes. It's very sharp and fantastic to work with. Also, keep in mind that the A has 77mm threads and the FA has 82mm threads. The A minimum aperture is f/22 and the FA is f/32.

The A is very easy to focus, as for landscapes I'm usually at infinity or close to it. It also produces very nice star bursts from f/16 to f/22. The lens is pretty bright looking through the viewfinder and easy to focus if you have good vision.

Unless you plan on shooting lots of people or moving objects with the lens, I'd just stick to the manual version...it's also nice to only need one filter ring size (77mm).

Here are a few shots I've taken with the 645 35mm A lens:

f/16

f/16

f/3.5, 13 sec. (Aurora Borealis)
I must say that those shots are simply wonderful workmanship.

04-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #5

Original Poster
VERY nice shots! Thx for sharing.

I am also considering the 33-55mm zoom but there is not much info about it on the 645D.
04-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I got a copy of A and FA when the camera was new. The FA was more prone to flare and the A was actually a wider field of view than the FA. I kept the A.
04-08-2013, 11:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

That's art.
04-09-2013, 04:49 AM   #8

Original Poster
I just ordered a 35mm A from KEH. Its rated Ex. Hope its a good one. It seems like the 35mm is a hard to find lens. Whether it's the A or the FA version.

04-09-2013, 07:21 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken R Quote
I just ordered a 35mm A from KEH. Its rated Ex. Hope its a good one. It seems like the 35mm is a hard to find lens. Whether it's the A or the FA version.
I just picked up an EX copy of the A from them last week. Glass is perfect from what I can see. Focus is smooth, aperture ring has a good feel as well. My copy has some slight wear visible on the focus ring material and the mount, and a couple of marks on the barrel. I've used KEH for a few years now and from what I have experienced, they rate condition conservatively.
04-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It seems there is always a 35mm A available, but sometimes not an FA. You just have to keep an eye out sometimes. Now, the 33-55mm FA is quite rare to find. I've only seen 2-3 for sale since I got the 645D over a year ago.
04-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #11

I have both the FA and the A in 35mm, and use them for different purposes. For landscapes or other static scenes I prefer the A. For more dynamic scenes were focus speed is more of a factor, I go with the FA.

My FA has a peculiar optical issue with it that I've written about previously here, and which a few others have confirmed to me as being present in their FA copies as well. There's an odd circular band of significant loss of sharpness compared to the surrounding area (on both sides), about 2/3 of the way out from center. The effect can be exacerbated by shooting wider apertures close to the limits of hyperfocal focus, or mitigated by doing the opposite. It seems to be an optical property of the design of this lens (at least on some samples). Perhaps, as one correspondent illustrated to me (based on the performance of a Leica wide lens design), it could be the result of a mustache-like dip in the MTF curve -- falling away from center and then rising up again towards the edge.

The A design is perhaps not quite as sharp in the center but doesn't have this issue, so that's why I use it for landscape work.
04-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #12

Original Poster
I have seen some hi resolution samples of the 35mm FA (645D) and it showed very nice center sharpness but not ad the edges. One sample I saw was softer on one side border / edge than the other (I think it was the left side). Center resolution seems very nice.
04-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #13

I have seen some hi resolution samples of the 35mm FA (645D) and it showed very nice center sharpness but not ad the edges. One sample I saw was softer on one side border / edge than the other (I think it was the left side). Center resolution seems very nice.
I have both and they both seem to be excellent. I'd avoid the 33-55mm because of its really strong pincushion distortion. Pentax has a new wide angle zoom on the roadmap, likely to be introduced this year. Something to consider.
04-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Royce, that FA's circular band of unsharpness could easily be the result of zonal spherical aberration. Even though the designer corrected spherical aberration, the most common area of a lens where it tends to be less corrected is the zonal area. It is reduced by the diaphragm because the poorly corrected zonal rays are truncated.
04-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I have the A35mm and been very happy with it. Here is two images from Helsinki taken late evening/night summer 2012

Last edited by jani80; 04-09-2013 at 02:14 PM.