Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #1

Pentax 67, new user, a couple questions.

This is my first "real" medium format outfit. I've shot Holga, Lubitel, and a Kiev 6C. With all four cameras, I've experienced what looks to me to be the film backing indication dots imprinted onto the image. I'm probably wrong about this, but would like some input as I can't find any elsewhere. They appear in the top right corner of the first image.

(2) In the second image I shudder (pardon the pun) to think this banding may be a shutter problem. It was shot at f/22, 1 second, no lens hood, no filters.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Attached Images

04-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Are you shooting expired film? If so, that may be why you are seeing the backing paper shine through. The radiation inherent in the atmosphere that causes fogging in older film can in fact expose the backing paper's markings.

The other possibility (more likely on the Lubitel and Holga) is the back is leaking light. Does the 67 have good light seals? You may need to send it in to a repair shop for a CLA and light seal replacement.
04-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I was thinking of lhumidity stains from long storage in e.g. a freezer and insufficient warm-up before loading. Or Chinese-made film that is notorious for transparency.
The second image looks like it has been exposed to heavy x-rays with a noticeable cyanic shift.

It is not necessary to shoot at f22 unless using a long telephoto; doing so with shorter focal length lenses introduces considerable diffraction. The first pic is well below par in terms of optical sharpness knowing what 67 lenses are capable of.

I suggest you shoot another roll of film, preferably bought fresh, and see if these faults are repeated. If not, you're good to go and it was an isolated failing of the film. If problems persist, a bench examination of the 67 should be looked at.
04-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #4

Original Poster
It wasn't expired film or generic. It was in-date Ektar. Did not duplicate the markings on any of the other frames. The light seals are in good condition from what I can tell. The only reason I shot at f/22 for the second one was purely as a test and to get some motion in the frame with the water.

04-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #5

Original Poster
Also- this was a test roll and focused without the use of a prism or wlf. I blame that for the lack of sharpness/focus.
04-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter

2nd shot looks like a light leak. Does it show up on any other frames? If not, then maybe a development problem - who did your processing?
04-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #7

Original Poster
Took it to a local mini lab. I don't think it's a worn shutter curtain-I'm familiar with that distinct look from my Kiev.
04-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Regular dots have been talked about in other threads as part of the processing maching... wiper rollers?