Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #1

P67 aperture chain question

so my P67( MLU with TTL meter prism) aperture chain broke and I can't find a repairman to fix it at where I live (Singapore,SE Asia) as they do not have the spare parts.

I've thought about sending it to the US to service it but with the cost of sending it there and back, coupled with repair cost is quite significant.

The questions is; Can I just buy a new p67 body off ebay and use it with my TTL meter prism? would that work? or is it the other way around where I buy a new TTL prism and use back the old p67 body (yank out that chain) ??

I'm confused as to where that aperture chain originate from? the body or the metered prism..

help appreciated

Cheers,
Alex

04-23-2013, 02:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The chain is in the 67 / 6x7 body, coming around to the lens mount flange internally.
The TTL meter only has a coupling pin that pushes the chain along with change in aperture.
Repair is doable, if you are nimble, patient and adept with tiny parts.

Read this:
http://www.salzgeber.at/articles/6x7chainRepair.html

Familiarise yourself with the correct TTL prism / lens mount-dismount procedure. Mucking up this process is one reason the chain gets stressed and breaks. The camera is a tough beast, it really is, but its weakest link is perhaps that tiny, tiny chain and the problems it can give. Take care.
04-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Used 67s are pretty cheap so if the repair doesn't go well I would just buy another body. As long as it is the 6x7 (original or MLU type) or the 67 you can use the same TTL metered VF. The 67II is completely different (and much more expensive). You should be able to get a working body for $100-$150.