Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2013, 12:20 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
645N problems

Hi,
Since february I am the owner of a 645N I purchased on EBAY. I exposed some films already (slide films) and I notice the following: When used with TTL- flash (mostly AF 280T), all photos are properly exposed. When using the Programm mode without flash (every dial set on "A"), there are always one or two frames per film, that are way too dark or even almost black while the rest is very good. Somebody who had the same issue? What is the reason for this?
hank you for your replies! A really great forum, by the way :-)

04-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #2

If the Programme Mode handles say 13/14 frames per roll perfectly it strongly suggests that the 1/2 frames per roll have been taken in light conditions that have fooled the Programme metering mode. Is there a pattern to the failures in terms of scene/light conditions?

The good news would seem to be that there is nothing wrong with your P645N. Once you have identified the light conditions that fool the Programme Mode try using the spot meter mode on the camera and meter from something close to zone V (so called 18% grey) such as grass. Use that exposure for your shot and see how it turns out and compare to same shot on Programme Mode

If you don't want to "waste" a frame then simply note what exposure Programme Mode is giving then switch to spot meter mode, measure grass or other zone V area and see what difference in exposure this shows.

Can you explain what you mean by too dark? Is there detail in the shadow areas of the neg when examined under a loupe? If not then it suggests that the Programme Mode is underexposing the neg.

asahijock
05-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Which metering mode do you use (under the shutter dial, there are three choices for your metering) ?
05-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply. "Dark" in the case of my 645N means really pitch black. I used slide films. Sometimes, you can discover a nondisribable something, when putting the slide to a lamp and regard it through a magnifiying glass, sometimes the slide is even then just black. Normally, thereīs one slide like this on every film, sometimes two, usual not more. Only one film without this phenomenon and only in rare cases one very much underexposed picture. This doesnīt seam to happen when using a flash in TTL mode (I never used it in manual mode). Great, even exposure then through the whole film.
I used mostly the green marked metering mode. But I donīt think that itīs the fault of wrong metering. Thereīs one pitch black picture after one very even exposed picture. I also use a 645 (without "N") and nothing like this occurs, even with the more primitive metering.
Perhapes a shutter issue?

05-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #5

When it goes wrong then it really goes wrong. Is there any pattern to where the black slide occurs or a particular shutter speed? The 645N has the ability to record on the neg and I assume on a slide the shutter speed. Have a look at these speeds. Clearly the shutter speeds below 1/60th are OK as this is the maximum flash shutter speed and you have said that everything is OK with flash.

You could try using the aperture mode instead and see what occurs in case there is something in the Programme Mode that is wrong. Maybe something obvious will be found but if not and if it were me I'd have the camera CLAed( checked, cleaned and adjusted)

There is nothing worse than not knowing when a frame will fail to be properly exposed and if you are a slide shooter then you have almost no room for error in the correct exposure.

Best of luck

asahijock
05-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Did the flash fire? I've had issues with a Pentax flash which sometimes would and sometimes would not fire, all things else the same. Cleaning the cable might work. I broke that flash by accident the very same day, so did not look into it any further. But it was not entirely predictable when it would fire and when not.
06-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi,
I just wanted to report, that everything is fine with my Pentax 645N, when not using Programm AE, but shutter priority AE or aperture priority AE, and, of course, TTL-flash. So I will go on using my 645N. Thanks for all replies!