Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Processing and scanning a roll of film at the same time can be expensive. It's best, when starting out, to be selective of your work: pick out those that really resonate with you, get them scanned and if desired, printed. But not the entire roll; that's a bit wasteful and in the end you have a lot of images you can't really decide what you want to do with.

Slide film is not easily scanned (it's also not easily exposed: I recommend spot metering for this, and exposing it for the conditions it is designed for); the scan-print process requires a detailed knowledge of colourimetrics and profiling to bring through the beauty of the slide to appropriate media with as little loss as possible — and that loss is very, very small today. I don't believe that high street dealers have the necessary expertise to bring out the best of slides at the scan step and the auto corrections and balances applied can be disruptive and misleading of possible problems with exposure, masking them so you do not notice (but hopefully you do when viewing them on the lightbox!).

The kit you have been offered is quite a steal and I wouldn't turn it up, so long as everything is working correctly and the camera has been well looked after. The 35mm lens will do see you out of the starting blocks and flying with a solid basis to build the kit up over time.