Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #1

645n focus screen question

Hi, I've just registered for the forums and posted a quick intro in the Intro forum.

I've recently started shooting with a 645n with a 45mm manual focus. I'd like to change the matte focusing screen out for a split image screen. The few I've seen are a little spendy for me. So my question is can I mod an original 645 split image screen to fit in my 645n? Since the tabs are in different spots the screen wont fit as it is now. But it looks like it will fit if I were to grind off the little tab.
Does the tab have a purpose besides something to hold onto when changing screens?
What about the tab on the side of the 645n screen?
Has anyone out there done this before?
Any potential problems I've overlooked?

Thanks for any advice!

05-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm afraid not, the screens are not exchangeable between the 645 and 645N (the latter being much brighter). And this will have consequences for the metering, I believe. Not 100% sure though about the metering. I do know that they are not interchangeable for sure and I suspect that is not just related to the little tab.
05-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #3

You've asked the question: how do I get from A to B? My answer is going to sound like: Try not starting from A but the manual A lens still uses the green "in focus" light with a "beep" sound which makes focusing very accurate. At least I have found it to be so.
What does "spendy" amount to? If it is quite a lot of money you might want to check out how much more expensive it will be to change to the AF lens compared to the screen ,taking into account how much you might be able to sell your A lens for

Best of luck whichever option you choose

asahijock