Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #1

Next step film

I am getting a 645Nii body and a 120 lens from Keh. My wife said it 's going to be for my birthday later this month, so now what film should I use. In the 35mm world I loved slides and mostly had used velvia 50 and provia 100. 10 Years early I had used ektachrome but I preferred the richer saturation of the fuji, at least that's how I perceived it. I would occasionally get some print film and in reading about the 120 films it seems most are color negative today. Any recommendations for color positive film, and for that matter, any personal favorites for the color neg? I don't have a scanner yet either and it seems that someday that maybe part of my work flow. Thanks Norm

05-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You liked Fuji velvia with 35mm, why not pick up a roll of it in 120? Its still available.
Film choice is so personal it all depends on your taste. Are you going to be shooting people or landscapes?
05-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A lot of choices in regards to film. If you are serious about image quality and have an angle for either projecting or printing, Velvia in 120 format trumps 35mm by a long shot. My only suggestion though is to learn spot metering with Velvia to nail the exposure that will facilitate easier printing because it is by nature a very contrasty film that can give substandard results when shot in the wrong light (it was designed for diffuse illumination, not point (bright sunlight). Opposite Velvia is the much friendlier Provia 100F. A 400iso version exists too if you enjoy shooting in low light. It's a very subjective thing, film, and much will depend on what you fancy and how you go after just one or two rolls. You might even fall in love with B&W! Give everything a try in the camera and I'm sure there will be one solid favourite.
05-13-2013, 06:28 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I find Extar a good 120 film if you liked the saturation and "snap" of slide films. I usually use Portra 160 as I find it more natural. I agree: lots of good choices still out there, so try a few and experiment!

05-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #5

QuoteQuote:
so now what film should I use. In the 35mm world I loved slides and mostly had used velvia 50 and provia 100.
Simply test some rolls of Velvia 50 oder Provia F 100 120 which is still available
QuoteOriginally posted by Normo Quote
I am getting a 645Nii body and a 120 lens from Keh. My wife said it 's going to be for my birthday later this month,
concrats to your birthday (and your wife !!)
05-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fuji Provia 400x is very nice in 120.

FUJICHROME PROVIA 400X | Fujifilm Global

Phil.
05-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #7

If your are going to try projection and there is nothing like a medium format slide show for quality or use digital printing on RA4 paper then slides are the way to go now that optical printing on Ilfochrome paper is dead.

Slides give the best of both world whereas colour neg can only be printed. Of course there is less latitude with slides compared to colour neg but as a slide user you will know that already.

Bracketing in difficult cases is always an option

asahijock

05-19-2013, 03:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

When shooting landscapes I tend to go with Fuji Velvia in either the 50, 100 or 100F variations. This kind of shooting is almost always done on a tripod. If I'm going to be shooting people I tend to go with Provia. But what I shoot most is B&W negatives. I develop these at home and scan them so it is the most economical. Most of my B&W shooting is done handheld so I prefer ISO400 films. My personal favorite is Tri-X 400, but I also shoot a good amount of HP5+, Arista EDU Ultra, and even T-Max. My least favorite is color negative film. I've made an earnest effort to get to know it but I really struggle with getting accurate colors when scanning. And furthermore, the film tends to come back from the lab dirtier than slide film. Not sure why though...
05-19-2013, 05:02 AM   #9
Pentaxian

If you fancy trying Kodak slide film it's all been discontinued but you could grab some while it's still around, it'll be your last chance. There'll be penty of time to work with Fuji later.