Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #1

Help please Pentax 6x7 battery housing issue

Hi all

I love this forum and I need expert advise from all Pentaxians! I currently bought a second hand Asahi Pentax 6x7 kit with original 105mm lens, prism and straps here in Brisbane Australia. Very hard to find any here in Brisbane, much easier to find the States.

I knew there maybe inherit issues with these 6x7's but I wanted to delve into the medium format, being using 35mm for so long. When I viewed the camera before purchasing it, I knew the battery housing was intact and a fresh battery was replaced and inserted (I did look at this to make sure there was no issues), however, on closer inspection when I got home it seems the battery was intermittent and the battery charge light was flickering which it did not do before.

I opened the battery housing and it crumbled in my hands!!!! and I have bits of it on my table. Obviously the previously owner left the old battery in the camera for some time and has leaked and destroyed the housing !!! Otherwise the camera is very good condition.

I have been researching for sometime if anyone knows how to fix and repair and /or has created their own battery housing since parts do not exist anymore. There is not much information out there in terms of do-it-yourself fixes and I can see this will cost me greatly, but if it is the only option I have then so be it.

Does anyone know or have experienced a problem like this and where to help direct me in anyway?

Many Thanks

Attached Images

05-13-2013, 06:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You might email Eric Hendrickson (Contact Us) and see if he would have parts.
05-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by melzi Quote
I have been researching for sometime if anyone knows how to fix and repair and /or has created their own battery housing since parts do not exist anymore. There is not much information out there in terms of do-it-yourself fixes and I can see this will cost me greatly, but if it is the only option I have then so be it.
The challenge of fixing will also require opening the body up enough to solder new connections... the actual chamber can be fitted with as simple as two sided tape and a pair of contact leafs. This is provided that the inner works did not suffer under the battery acids.
05-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys for your comments. Mystery Onion (love the name ) I have opened the body as per Pentax 6x7 service manual and it is very clean and intact there. There is no acid wear anywhere else I can see. TomB I will look at the website.

Thanks your information has helped

05-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by melzi Quote
Hi all

I love this forum and I need expert advise from all Pentaxians! I currently bought a second hand Asahi Pentax 6x7 kit with original 105mm lens, prism and straps here in Brisbane Australia. Very hard to find any here in Brisbane, much easier to find the States.

I knew there maybe inherit issues with these 6x7's but I wanted to delve into the medium format, being using 35mm for so long. When I viewed the camera before purchasing it, I knew the battery housing was intact and a fresh battery was replaced and inserted (I did look at this to make sure there was no issues), however, on closer inspection when I got home it seems the battery was intermittent and the battery charge light was flickering which it did not do before.

I opened the battery housing and it crumbled in my hands!!!! and I have bits of it on my table. Obviously the previously owner left the old battery in the camera for some time and has leaked and destroyed the housing !!! Otherwise the camera is very good condition.

Does anyone know or have experienced a problem like this and where to help direct me in anyway?

Many Thanks
Hi,
Give Allan at f16 a ring on 07 3284 1588. He is at Margate.
Regards.
05-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
The challenge of fixing will also require opening the body up enough to solder new connections... the actual chamber can be fitted with as simple as two sided tape and a pair of contact leafs. This is provided that the inner works did not suffer under the battery acids.
Hi,
Give Allan at f16 a ring. His number is 07 3284 1588. He is at Margate. Another thought is to attend the annual Cameraholics Fair this coming Sunday at the Global Learning Centre hall at 102 McDonald Street, Windsor, beneath the Albion overpass on the western side of the rail line. The doors open at 1000 am for an admission fee of $2. There was a trader there last year who from memory had a range of medium format equipment. I have also just purchased a 6x7 outfit in as good as new condition, here in Brisbane, and I will be putting a film in it in the near future.
05-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #7

Melzi, I have a first generation body that has been stripped for parts. The battery box pieces are still there and you can have them if you need them. PM me your address and I'll post them up to you.

Paul.
05-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

This is a truly shocking sight, and it does make me angry; I can imagine how upset you would be to discover this. I sincerely hope there is a speedy and workable resolution that will enable you to pursue the inherent beauty of images shot with the 6x7. But for now, this battery chamber disaster is one other thing I will be seeking photographs of when canvassing a second 6x7 / 67 body if I can't get to see it for a touchy-feely.

05-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your support on this. Thanks Gordon I have called Allen already and will take it to him for a service and too see what else is going on there. I will be there on Sunday also, great to see community support in Brisbane for such fantastic hobby and passion.

Hi Paul would love to take it out of your hands. I will definitely PM you.

Silent Street you are right - no fun but will prevail.
05-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #10

Here's the battery box on my parts body. I haven't disassembled it yet, but as you can see it will be just a case of undoing six screws and cutting any wires that poke through.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #11

Original Poster
You all have been so helpful - many thanks !!!!!