Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #1

120 - 220 switch on the side?

I have just bought a 6x7 w/ 90mm f2.8 lens. I understand how the move the pressure plate on the inide of the door but on the side there is a 120-220 switch. The one on my camera is sticking out and I can see a small metal pin under the top.
the "switch will turn but it will not go back in flush with the body.
Any thoughs on this?? I know it is not supposed to stick out like that.
Also could this issue have any affect on the frame spacing overlapping?

05-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
should look like this...

The switch should be turned only while the back is open as to prevent the index inside from being in gear and risk jambing it.

As you can see the switch is currently set to 120.

Could you show up a snap shot of what you mean?

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 05-25-2013 at 05:27 PM.
05-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
Giveaway winner!

QuoteOriginally posted by stradibarrius Quote
Also could this issue have any affect on the frame spacing overlapping?
Overlapping is a bad sign. Commonly is the source (unexposed film side) clutch is too tight and/or the take-up (empty spool where the film goes to... side) the regulating clutch has become loose from wear.
05-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #4

Original Poster
Some of the frames have too much space between them. Here are a couple of photos of the 120/220 selector. Obviously the camera is well used but has just had a "rebuild" according to the shop where I got it.

Attached Images

05-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
Giveaway winner!

I see the plastic collar is missing.

Some of the frames have too much space between them.
Too much spacing could mean the source side has too little torque to slow down the feed of the film.

If you have no film loaded currently and happen to have an empty spool and a roll of film backing paper, try with the roll of paper loaded as if film and put the test spool in the source side. Pull it out with a steady speed and note if the spool feels smooth and steady or if it has hitches and uneven pressure. Too easy a paying out of the paper would mean that the clutch is not working and normal would be about enough to keep the feed very taught if you wear to advance the paper to the take-up side and it would always be held flat against the film plane.
05-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Some of the frames have too much space between them. Here are a couple of photos of the 120/220 selector. Obviously the camera is well used but has just had a "rebuild" according to the shop where I got it.
A competent shop rebuild would not return a camera with a starkly noticeable fault like this. Take it back and have the switch repaired as part of the rebuild. If the shop refuses, take yourself and the camera to somebody who genuinely cares. There is too much of this "rebuilt camera" stuff going about with owners being returned with cameras missing parts, parts not functioning, broken or substituted with unsuitable components.
05-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #7

Original Poster
Mystery Onion, I did as you suggested and used the backing from a roll on the spool. I loaded it in the feed side and pulled it out to see if it was smooth and if there was even tension. It pulled out smoothly and the tension felt even and didn't seem excessive????
Any other ideas of things I can try?
05-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
Giveaway winner!

Stradibarrius, it seems that something is not helping to regulate the film. The other thing is the roller that is located on the film door...

...normally looking like this.

Which version 6X7 body do you have... or variant.

6X7 with 10/21 and counter dial that goes to 21 frames and silver lens release, no MLU, some call it a Honeywell version.
6X7 with 10/21 and counter dial that goes to 21 frames and silver lens release with MLU, factory modified.
6X7 with 120/220 and 20 frames, black lens release with MLU
67 with 120/220 and 20 frames, black lens release with MLU

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 05-27-2013 at 02:51 PM.
06-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #9

Original Poster
The shop where I got the camera has sent it back to the repairman to fix the frame spacing.