Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #46
Site Supporter

I imagine ff 645 DII would not be sold less than 12-15 K bucks ?

07-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
At 12-15K they would lose their "lowest price medium format digital" advantage. I think that price would put them up with Hasselblad ?
07-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think Hasselblad has an 'entry level' body for 13K, but it's only about 33mp I think. At that price, the 645D is still a bargain, especially taking into account additional cost of Hasselblad lenses. Though...I've heard they have much much better customer support!
07-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I was speculating about a 60MP medium format sensor from Dalsa. In a 135 format crop mode, it would deliver us .. what .. 30 to 35 MP or so? Need to check the exact mm size of the 60MP sensor ...
I think you may be right, that would seem to be the most logical route to take. My 'mirrorless' prediction would be dependeant on the state of EVF technology and so it may likely turn out that Pentax deliver another K-5II/s scenario with the 645DMkII - they may just upgrade the sensor and a few other 'little' things.

A mirrorless would definitely open up the use of 135mm format lenses though and thus a 'FF' crop mode. I doubt many aspiring MF photographers could ignore that possibility as it would allow a gradual transition to the format without loosing functionality on certain levels.

07-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I think you may be right, that would seem to be the most logical route to take. My 'mirrorless' prediction would be dependeant on the state of EVF technology and so it may likely turn out that Pentax deliver another K-5II/s scenario with the 645DMkII - they may just upgrade the sensor and a few other 'little' things.

A mirrorless would definitely open up the use of 135mm format lenses though and thus a 'FF' crop mode. I doubt many aspiring MF photographers could ignore that possibility as it would allow a gradual transition to the format without loosing functionality on certain levels.
I have checked the areas of both sensors and if above mentioned 60MP MF sensor is used, it gives us 24MF in 135 format.
135 format is around 40% of that MF sensor size. Crop mode would work well indeed — Pentax may even give us an advanced adapter for K-mount lenses to be used in crop mode.
07-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I have checked the areas of both sensors and if above mentioned 60MP MF sensor is used, it gives us 24MF in 135 format.
135 format is around 40% of that MF sensor size. Crop mode would work well indeed — Pentax may even give us an advanced adapter for K-mount lenses to be used in crop mode.
That was my fantasy when I imagined this scenario. It's possible that they could bypass a dedicated 'FF' and incorporate it into a smaller MF Mirror-less but that would upset quite a few people though.
07-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #52
Site Supporter

Well, until they keep the 645's flange distance...
07-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I'm expecting the new 645D MkII to be mirrorless between 60-80MP, have a FF crop mode and accept FF lenses.

This is my intuition at work (probably deluding me), but I would definitely consider selling my Nikon kit for such a camera.
If the camera industry was not such a racket this type of device would exist already. The point is to sell you very small incremental advances instead of big meaningful steps. Look at the APS-C world, it's the same crap sold over and over again with the sensors just getting re packaged. Also as someone who cares about the natural world, I find the waste this type of business practice creates somewhat insulting.

07-14-2013, 04:00 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by larkis Quote
If the camera industry was not such a racket this type of device would exist already. The point is to sell you very small incremental advances instead of big meaningful steps. Look at the APS-C world, it's the same crap sold over and over again with the sensors just getting re packaged. Also as someone who cares about the natural world, I find the waste this type of business practice creates somewhat insulting.

I think they will make something that sells. A 645 mirrorless would be financial suicide alienating 99% of the potential customers. Mirrorless do not represent advances; in fact, it is the oldest camera type there is. Removing a great optical finder from the camera will be removing some of its big assets. And it won't accept FF lens due to the shorter flange distance of the K-mount.
Expect the current body with a new sensor and imaging pipeline and perhaps improved AF....

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 07-14-2013 at 04:06 AM.
07-14-2013, 06:14 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I think they will make something that sells. A 645 mirrorless would be financial suicide alienating 99% of the potential customers. Mirrorless do not represent advances; in fact, it is the oldest camera type there is. Removing a great optical finder from the camera will be removing some of its big assets. And it won't accept FF lens due to the shorter flange distance of the K-mount.
Expect the current body with a new sensor and imaging pipeline and perhaps improved AF....
Think out off the box!

When there is no mirror and there is a good adapter so K-mount lenses can be put on the 645-mount. Then it's just a mechanical thing to move the sensor to fit the K-mount flange distance to make it work!

Who in earth is going to slapp down 15 grand on a camera to put their $10 yardsale lenses on?????????????
07-14-2013, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by larkis Quote
The choices are to either produce incremental advances on a regular basis or huge jumps at irregular intervals. I my opinion when Pentax produced the K5II there were aimed not at existing K5 owners but at people who were looking to buy a K5 in the first place and Pentax instead of continuing supplying a camera that had a few flaws, they supplied basically the same camera with those flaws fixed. And here people complained that it was not enough to make it worthwhile to upgrade from a K5 even though a bet Pentax never expected many to do so. But the consumer at least some of them beleive they need the latest model. It is wrong to blame the companies alone for this as it is the market place that is rewarding them. As long as people need to buy the latest all the time there will the waste. All kinds of other products are constantly being replaced by a new and better model without the owners of the existing models running out to replace it with the newest one. Do you think companies go and replace their roof top air conditioners of their office building every time Lennox or Trane upgrades a model?

As the digital camera matures even more there will be less and less reason to run out an upgrade one's camera every 18 months or less. Of course the manufacturer's will continue to produce new models but of course there are always going to be new people entering the marketplace. With the medium format digital camera there appears to be a longer cycle for upgrade and a significant segment of that market purchasing the second hand units. I doubt many of the MF backs from the last 5 years have been disgarded or are out of use.

The entire commercial world is set up now to be wasteful of resources. As long as it is cheaper to buy new than to fix and that products are not designed to be repaired anyways, we will waste our resources and produce excess amount of harmful wastes. As a consumer you can keep your camera until it is worn out or breaks or to find a practical use for it when you replace it.
07-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #57

It's such a great camera. Knowing about the successor is important though. I'd prefer the successor if it had a bigger sensor and longer shutter life and perhaps higher ISO sensitivity. Price also matters. I'd wait for a successor in the $15K range. I'd buy a second body as a backup if such a successor is not in sight.
07-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #58

Any rumor as to what kind of specs will the 645D be?
07-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #59
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kimyeesan Quote
Any rumor as to what kind of specs will the 645D be?
Judging by some hints stated in their public interviews, during the Fotokina 2012 and CP+ 2013, for the new 645D Pentax is aiming at some 60MP or above. Body will perhaps continue to be weather sealed, and maybe some new lens announced.
Everything else is unknown.
07-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #60
Pentaxian

There is a 26-46, 42-90 and a 90-200 on the roadmap for 2013 or later release...
Approximate focal lenghts