Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2013, 03:00 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
645d - Please HELP - Advice needed

Hi dear Pentaxians!

I urgently need advice about what to do with my Pentax 645d.

Here is the explanation about it:

In november, last year, I buy Pentax 645d (new).
Few months after using it I noticed that camera has split sensor problem (left and right side of taken image haven't the same colors, there is exact line in the middle of image where this difference is very noticeable).
There is also one more issue - line streak (2 lines in image, one is blue, one is magenta), which occurs from time to time. It is much more visible on 1600 ISO, but sometime it is on 100 ISO too (usualy visible in dark areas).

I returned camera to seller (on May, 13th) and they sent it to France (Pentax main center for this part of Europe).
Today I received email from my seller. Seller forward message (answer to my problem) from Pentax France.

Here is the exact copy of this email:

....................... start of email ............................

Sorry for the belated reply. About tone difference issue, we just received informations from Japan this morning.

As explained below, it is due to the medium Format specification. We cannot modify this tone difference phenomenom.

This phenomenon is not isolated and is found on most Midium Format digital cameras, regardless of the manufacturer.
The separation is caused by the composition of the two sensors that form one sensor, this part of the specification.
The tone difference can be visible when shooting underexposed areas and / or when the image is subjected to a post adjustement by software.
Contrast settings, brightness... accentuate the difference.
The tone difference will be less visible if the image is taken in good conditions of exposure.

PM2S is also informed, you normally should receive the camera back soon.
The blue pixel line is now fixed.

We hope the customer could accept these explanations.

Best regards and have a nice day.

....................... end of email ............................

Now, WHAT SHOULD I DO ????

What you can suggest about whole thing?
I will gona get crazy about it.
Much appreciated any kind of help.

(sorry about my English grammar but hope you will understand what I mean in this thread)

06-20-2013, 03:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Use split ND filter
06-20-2013, 04:39 AM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find the response from Pentax unacceptable.

I would seek an expert opinion on the matter. Is it (really) acceptable and common that the seam between the two sensor pieces be visible on a pro camera? Perhaps a case can be made that this is unacceptable which could force Pentax to exchange the sensor. The camera is still under warranty I assume.
06-20-2013, 04:42 AM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Use split ND filter
A split ND filter won't help even out the color imbalance.

06-20-2013, 04:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The tone difference can be visible when shooting underexposed areas
Sounds like job fo split ND
06-20-2013, 06:00 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
I find the response from Pentax unacceptable.

I would seek an expert opinion on the matter. Is it (really) acceptable and common that the seam between the two sensor pieces be visible on a pro camera? Perhaps a case can be made that this is unacceptable which could force Pentax to exchange the sensor. The camera is still under warranty I assume.
Yes, the camera is still under warranty (till Nov, 29th).
06-20-2013, 06:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Before saying something.
Check it when the camera is back, maybe they actually have done something do it.

Also what type of condition do you see the difference, if you brighten up the dark parts a lot then you will see a lot of artifacts.
06-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #8
Pentaxian

This is plain BS. I understand they stitched the sensor together (hey guess why the price was so low?) but it should not work like this. No other 645D and no other camera for that matter should do this. I guess Pentax France are just lazy.

06-20-2013, 07:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian

That really sucks. Now you'd have a hard time selling it to switch to another brand that offers better support. Keep pressing the issue.
06-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
That really sucks. Now you'd have a hard time selling it to switch to another brand that offers better support. Keep pressing the issue.
I love this camera and won't change it. Most time it works perfect for me and it is the best camera that I ever have. I have Nikon d300 as a back-up and Pentax K-r. I am ex owner of K20d and K-5.
06-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #11
Pentaxian

keep going

it took me months , but i got my first one replaced under warranty due the exact same conditions. my first one did the split sensor in all sorts of conditions. the second one only does it under four conditions which are acceptable. i dont have time to detail the four conditions now on my silly digital handheld device, but later when i am at a proper computer i can go into detail if you are interested.
06-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 672 Quote
it took me months , but i got my first one replaced under warranty due the exact same conditions. my first one did the split sensor in all sorts of conditions. the second one only does it under four conditions which are acceptable. i dont have time to detail the four conditions now on my silly digital handheld device, but later when i am at a proper computer i can go into detail if you are interested.
@672, It would be great if you could write more about your story. Did you replace 2nd body too or you live with that? In my case split problem occurs rarely, most images are fine. I didn't make any tests to see under which conditions split problem occurs. Maybe your answer will help me to find that. Thanks!
06-21-2013, 01:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian

sensor split

Davor, I gladly kept my second body once i realized what was going on. First offending situation is exposing four stops under. 645D wont do it. Sensor split every time. In fact if your picture has huge areas of dark with a pool of light on a small subject you may get sensor split. The viewfinder meter is set for three stops under and over. Strangely the lcd meter is set for five stops under and over?

The second common reason for a 645D to sensor split is AWB, dont ever use it. In fact , due to the sensor split problem, the only useful white balance is to specify your Kelvin number (3200, 5600, etc.). Dont use the preset white balance icons. Also go into the menus and turn off "automatic white balance corrections", a supposed feature to fine tune white balance in small amounts on the fly.

Third reason a 645D will sensor split. Even backrounds. Try it , shoot a white or light grey backround, eventually , sensor split. Shoot an uneven backround, such as a mottled backdrop , no sensor split (as long as you set a Kelvin and your no where near four stops under).

Fourth reason , if you are insane like me and a couple others here, and you insist on shooting with the P67 800mm lens, you will notice that the extreme narrow field of view will also sometimes trick the sensor into a split exposure/white balance issue.

As i said previously , my first body definately had the problem very often in many situations and i got a new one under warranty.

The digital sensor split is very upsetting when you have bought your own camera. The first time i ever saw it was on a Dalsa cinema 4K camera , nose mounted to a helicopter. The sensor split evenly into four sections. Curious to me, very upsetting to the Producer. But it explained why Dalsa insisted on providing a second body free of charge for the duration of the rental........

Best of luck,
06-21-2013, 01:22 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I live in France, and just know that here PM2S (the Pentax french repair center) is well know for ... doing an aweful job for a high price.

Many people here, prefer to send it to germany (a year ago they still had a very good repair center) or in USA to CRIS (ok, the shipping fees can be high, but the low cost of the repair often compensate).

I would suggest you to insist to get it changed by a new unit.
06-21-2013, 01:34 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
find the response from Pentax unacceptable.
I agree.

QuoteOriginally posted by 672 Quote
Dalsa insisted on providing a second body free of charge for the duration of the rental........
yikes if DALSA can screw up anyone can...