Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
08-22-2013, 03:04 AM   #46
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Reliant K1000 Quote
We sold our beloved trailer to a pimp
I guess his money would be as good as anyone else's when it comes to selling your trailer.

08-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #47
Inactive Account

I have 5 cats, should I be buying a 645D now?!

Last edited by Tom S.; 08-24-2013 at 07:39 PM.
08-25-2013, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grev Quote
Liar....

One doesn't /have/ cats...one /serves/ cats (dogs have masters, cats have servants....)

That said, I believe that a 645D is a requirement for ...hang on, my feline masters tell me that it's time for their nightly snacks....
08-25-2013, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
As soon as I grasp the appeal of "street-photography", I'll start working on grasping "birding", then "cats".
Well basically defining someone's own work as "street photography" reveals someone as kind of a hipster.
I also like shooting people or things in the street. As well as in bars, apartments, parks, trains... it's all just photos.

And yeah, +1 to all the posts saying "he/she can shoot whatever he/she likes", as well as +1 to all the posts saying (subconscious) "damn him/her for owning the gear I want to have and not making anything useful with it" ;-)

08-26-2013, 12:22 AM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

But "useful" is a relative term though, now isn't? One human's trash is another human's art. Think not? Take a walk through any modern art museum and tell me that 3/4 of what's on the walls couldn't have been done by almost any 10 year old with some canvas, some paint and a brush, and yet it's APPLAUDED as the best of the best high brow modern art. One spat of yellow here, one slash of red there, and a black line laid down on a pristine canvas and there's "Such a magnificent artistic vision, oh my!" and it's selling for 150K. If I had a choice between an afternoon spent at a modern art museum and a cat show, and $20 to spend on seeing one versus the other? I'd probably choose the cat show because at least I'd have a chance of having a good time.

I actually went to the MOMA when I lived in NYC. I was always in the Met looking at the classical art, textile, and photography exhibits and I figured I should probably give the MOMA a fair shot to impress me too. Well, the building impressed me and a few of the sculptures were cool, but otherwise I thought it was a dead bore compared to the Met, the MONH and the other museums I'd been to. I had far more fun looking at 5000 year old Egyptian artifacts, dino bones and other fossils...
08-26-2013, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
Well basically defining someone's own work as "street photography" reveals someone as kind of a hipster.
I also like shooting people or things in the street. As well as in bars, apartments, parks, trains... it's all just photos.
I used to follow the street photography thread here on PF, in an attempt to grasp the appeal. The attempt failed, as you know. I just kept wondering, what do these street photographers actually do with their tons of photos of strangers? And I could find the line where it become voyeurism. (Some photogs in that street photography thread don't know either. LOL!)

QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
as well as +1 to all the posts saying (subconscious) "damn him/her for owning the gear I want to have and not making anything useful with it"
Oh not even subconsciously, I'm plain jealous of anybody who's got the cash to buy a machine like the 645D to just shoot cats. And I'm not even ashamed of it.
08-26-2013, 12:56 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't actually used either my Leica S2 or my 645D to take photographs of cats...am I doing something wrong?

08-26-2013, 01:01 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grev Quote
I also have 5 cats..
08-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I haven't actually used either my Leica S2 or my 645D to take photographs of cats...am I doing something wrong?
Big cats small cats or whatever, it's all the same. Amazing living things that seem to be only available right here, right now.. get it while you can before we kill it all for food or fun.

Last edited by bossa; 08-26-2013 at 01:10 AM.
08-26-2013, 01:20 AM   #55
Veteran Member

NASA spends $100's of millions on space probes trying to find microbial life (or evidence of it's previous existence) on Mars so I'm sure if they found a cat living there they'd get very excited. Any one of my cats is more important than a camera.
08-26-2013, 02:08 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Most of the posts in this thread are nice and of good cheer, but I have to say that the whole topic disturbs me a bit. The message between the lines seems to be that the photographer in question isn't good enough or doesn't shoot scenes interesting enough to "deserve" a 645D. Hell, how does it involve us if somebody has a 645D and shoots cats ... or toenails? Which of us is "good enough" to use a 645D? Or a Phase One? Or a FF DSLR? Or a K-5? Or a Q? Or the camera in an iPhone? Who decides who and what is worthy? Who deserves a Lexus to go to the mall? Who deserves a SUV driving by himself in the city centre?

Yuck. End of rant.
08-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Maybe, perhaps, the person just purchased the camera and those cat photos are their getting acquainted with the camera shots. People are shooting their cropped sensor DSLRs on things they could use their phone camera for, I'm sure.
08-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Maybe, perhaps, the person just purchased the camera and those cat photos are their getting acquainted with the camera shots. People are shooting their cropped sensor DSLRs on things they could use their phone camera for, I'm sure.
I always use my 8x10 to take pictures of my dinner at restaurants.
08-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I always use my 8x10 to take pictures of my dinner at restaurants.
Damn, I bet your dinner is cold by time you're done taking the picture.
08-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I bet your dinner is cold by time you're done taking the picture
At least he won't have to worry about steam fogging up the front element of his lens...