Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2013, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Damn, I bet your dinner is cold by time you're done taking the picture.
That's why I use hotlights

08-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #62

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I haven't actually used either my Leica S2 or my 645D to take photographs of cats...am I doing something wrong?
Yes. Owning a Leica S2 and a 645D at the same time. Or forking over that kind of cash for the S2 at all. Yes you are doing something so, so wrong.
08-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #63

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Most of the posts in this thread are nice and of good cheer, but I have to say that the whole topic disturbs me a bit. The message between the lines seems to be that the photographer in question isn't good enough or doesn't shoot scenes interesting enough to "deserve" a 645D. Hell, how does it involve us if somebody has a 645D and shoots cats ... or toenails? Which of us is "good enough" to use a 645D? Or a Phase One? Or a FF DSLR? Or a K-5? Or a Q? Or the camera in an iPhone? Who decides who and what is worthy? Who deserves a Lexus to go to the mall? Who deserves a SUV driving by himself in the city centre?

Yuck. End of rant.
Dude, relax. Internet. Cats, $10k camera kit. Funny. It's not calculus. If the dude makes an amazing photography book or show out of his photos more power too him.
08-28-2013, 03:50 AM   #64
Inactive Account

I think people are just saying this is ridiculous but of course the guy can buy whatever he wants to take photos of whatever he wants.

08-28-2013, 03:58 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Most of the posts in this thread are nice and of good cheer, but I have to say that the whole topic disturbs me a bit. The message between the lines seems to be that the photographer in question isn't good enough or doesn't shoot scenes interesting enough to "deserve" a 645D. Hell, how does it involve us if somebody has a 645D and shoots cats ... or toenails? Which of us is "good enough" to use a 645D? Or a Phase One? Or a FF DSLR? Or a K-5? Or a Q? Or the camera in an iPhone? Who decides who and what is worthy? Who deserves a Lexus to go to the mall? Who deserves a SUV driving by himself in the city centre?

Yuck. End of rant.
Oh heck, if that's the metric ..... anyone having seen my photography would agree that neither technically nor artistically am I good enough to deserve anything but a homemade pinhole camera, made from an old shoebox, with leaks - and that putting film in it would just be frivolous.
08-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #66
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I used to follow the street photography thread here on PF, in an attempt to grasp the appeal. The attempt failed, as you know. I just kept wondering, what do these street photographers actually do with their tons of photos of strangers? And I could find the line where it become voyeurism. (Some photogs in that street photography thread don't know either. LOL!)
:
Many, many who do it, don't follow the golden thread in their photographs. Because it's damn difficult. All too often in street photography a photo or two is immediately isolated and saved, based on photographer's pre-recorded expectations and technical merits, happy accidents, etc. .

But very few people look at their street photographs as a flow, as a river, to find an accord in ripples, a hidden thread beneath the surface. Or, a counterpoint, that tells them something more that merely pointing to an isolated, "well-composed shot".

I suggest anyone interested in street photography to develop photographs weeks after taking them, perhaps months after, and not discard any single one of them before some golden thread is noticed when looking at the contact sheets (either digital or printed). Only like that one can reveal more about his/her own personality, what instincts and emotions lead to certain photographs, and how they connect to next, consider juxtapositions and connections never thought possible etc.

Sometimes it seems to me street photography is nothing else but visualising the streets and hidden corners of our selves, where we meet our fears, break from them, meet strangers who become friends, explore novel possibilities of life, etc.

Last edited by Uluru; 08-30-2013 at 07:20 AM.
08-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grev Quote
I have 5 cats, should I be buying a 645D now?!
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I also have 5 cats..
No, you need to buy five 645Ds.

Most of the posts in this thread are nice and of good cheer, but I have to say that the whole topic disturbs me a bit . . . Who decides who and what is worthy?
The cats, of course.

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Well, the 645D does capture cats nicely. I wonder if cat image quality is a consideration for Pentax engineers. But I do have some questions about a cat-specific lens test.
So the monkeys have cats for pets/test subjects?!

Here's my obligatory cat photo (not taken with a 645D; I wish--but with a MX and FA* 80-200). Who wants to give me a hard time for using an FA* 80-200 to photograph a cat?

08-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Actually that's a nice looking cat. No complaints here. :P

08-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #69
Pentaxian

Oh No, I once used my K-5 and lowly FA*85/1.4 to take a photo of my cat.. Boy do I feel silly now....

08-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #70
Veteran Member

My girl cat was happily sitting on the desktop next to me for a while. When I did the latest posts thing and she saw this thread she got snippy. I think the "nothing but cat photos" offended her. She just sniffed at the screen in a derogatory way and looked at me as if to say "But what else should you lowly humans want to take pictures of?" then jumped down and went stalking down the hall. Actually if I had a 645D I would take pictures of cats. Might take pics of tiny cats sitting on a prairie against the backdrop of a big stormy sky or pics of a big cat stalking down a tree limb in a rainforest downpour or something like that but I'd still take pictures of cats and I'd be proud to own them too. Isn't much else in this world that I consider truly worthy of my finest efforts at photography actually. Cats of all kinds are walking art so far as I am concerned. I like photographing humans but photographing cats that admittedly fascinates me. I can and do get bored photographing a lot of other things but not cats. I can't say that's ever happened. They're actually a pretty good source of inspiration for me and when I can't think of anything else, when photographic ennui sets in, a little photo session with a cat or two always gets me back in my groove again. :P

Last edited by magkelly; 08-30-2013 at 06:33 PM.
08-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #71
Site Supporter

I’m guilty as well and take pictures of cats any chance I get. Here is one of Ernest Hemmingway’s six toed cats in Key West Florida.

Taken with my Pentax K2 and A70-210/4 zoom. (Fomapan R100 reversal film)

BBC News - Meet the six-fingered cats of Ernest Hemingway

Phil.
09-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I’m guilty as well and take pictures of cats any chance I get. Here is one of Ernest Hemmingway’s six toed cats in Key West Florida.

Taken with my Pentax K2 and A70-210/4 zoom. (Fomapan R100 reversal film)

BBC News - Meet the six-fingered cats of Ernest Hemingway

Phil.
Very nice.
09-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #73
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Very nice.
Thanks! That was the only moments in about 10 minutes the cat stopped moving. Also I had to shoot wide open because of the low light, so that did not help any trying to focus.

Phil.
09-03-2013, 04:16 AM   #74
Veteran Member

I take a lot of shots of my cats with my D800e's, K-5 and K-01.

Rusty Hunting a Sibling: K-01 & DA*55mm @ f/4

Fox In The Almond Tree: D800e & 70-200 VRII @ f/4

Bindi & Casey Playing with Almond Blossoms: D800e & 70-200 VRII @ f/4

Bindi Playing with a Rope: K-5 & DA*200mm

OK enough cat shots already...

Last edited by bossa; 09-03-2013 at 05:38 AM.
09-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #75
Site Supporter

ok, I am unsubscribing to this thread now. in cat overload.