Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2013, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

What a silly person! Everybody knows cameras were made for shooting brick walls!

08-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #32
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ristretto Quote
My first and (so far) only cat-shot with the 645/90mm lens...

No, it's not mine (the cat, not the lens...), just a snapshot at the train station.

See, for $ 15k you can make great catshots. Put them on a mug and sell them (or use them yourselfs).
08-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #33

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This "mis-use" of equipment makes me remember when my dad sold our travel trailer. He winterized it and made it so it was toasty warm inside even when the mercury dipped below freezing and put this prominently in the trailer's ad in the paper.

We lived in it for 2 years when circumstances dictated us travelling across the country, so it meant a fair lot to our family. We spent a major chunk of our lives living in there.

A guy comes and buys it and after the money changed hands, my dad asks what is he going to use it for as it's pretty late in the season, thinking he might just store it or whatever. The gentleman hesitates, grins and says "I'm taking it to Alaska and using it as a mobile brothel for the miners up there. It'll pay for itself in a few weeks!"

We sold our beloved trailer to a pimp...
08-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Reliant K1000 Quote
haha sorry for your loss but that´s a hilarious story!

08-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #35
Veteran Member

This "mis-use" of equipment makes me remember when my dad sold our travel trailer. He winterized it and made it so it was toasty warm inside even when the mercury dipped below freezing and put this prominently in the trailer's ad in the paper.

We lived in it for 2 years when circumstances dictated us travelling across the country, so it meant a fair lot to our family. We spent a major chunk of our lives living in there.

A guy comes and buys it and after the money changed hands, my dad asks what is he going to use it for as it's pretty late in the season, thinking he might just store it or whatever. The gentleman hesitates, grins and says "I'm taking it to Alaska and using it as a mobile brothel for the miners up there. It'll pay for itself in a few weeks!"

Nice to hear the girls up north will be warm down south thanks to that trailer.
08-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I photographed pets — cats, dogs, ferrets, guinea pigs and the like on odd occasions during university with either an Olympus OM10 or for the no fuss approach, a disposable Kodak camera. But this...!? Obviously piles of idle money to splash out. Frankly, it is cringe-worthy. So run it by me again, what's the going retail price for a 645D...? None of these pussy pictures are worth my time poring over. Passé.
08-19-2013, 04:41 AM   #37
Veteran Member

The person who is running the flickr page has added hundreds more photos since the cat photos. I think they are trying to bury their shame in a mountain of photos.

08-19-2013, 04:46 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Some people buy a high end DSLR with super-tele lenses worth thousands of dollars just to exclusively shoot birds. Same thing... I'm completely unable to grasp the appeal.

As soon as I grasp the appeal of "street-photography", I'll start working on grasping "birding", then "cats". Hang on, that doesn't sound very constructive.

Last edited by Clavius; 08-19-2013 at 04:54 AM.
08-19-2013, 05:49 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Some people buy a high end DSLR with super-tele lenses worth thousands of dollars just to exclusively shoot birds. Same thing... I'm completely unable to grasp the appeal.

As soon as I grasp the appeal of "street-photography", I'll start working on grasping "birding", then "cats". Hang on, that doesn't sound very constructive.
I don't care what people photograph with their fancy cameras, as long as they bought the camera to fund more R&D into making the cameras even better for the rest of us.
08-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I don't care what people photograph with their fancy cameras, as long as they bought the camera to fund more R&D into making the cameras even better for the rest of us.
This.

Plus, it's their money. They can buy what they want.

I'm a hobbyist. I am the limiting factor in the equation of my photography - all of my gear is capable of much higher levels of work than I can currently produce. I'm working on bettering my skills and developing my "eye", but I may never improve to the point of "deserving" the gear I use. My 645D was a pure "bucket list" purchase for me. It will either be one of the last cameras I own, or it will be sold at some point if I loose interest or can no longer lug the gear around.

If someone enjoys what they are doing, if they like the gear, if they get out and take photos, and if they are willing to spend their money... why should it bother anyone else? I've never really understood the concern some seem to have over what others purchase.

And no, I have no cat photos to post.

I have no cat.
08-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I would love a 645d to take shots of my parrot :P
08-19-2013, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote

Clavius, obviously you need to combine the three into one to save time. Find cats chasing birds in the streets.
08-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Clavius, obviously you need to combine the three into one to save time. Find cats chasing birds in the streets.
True, the action would make it lots more interesting. There are better tools for shooting birds and cats then cameras, that would make it even more interesting though. (This forum needs a grinning devil smiley.)

Last edited by Clavius; 08-31-2013 at 01:55 AM.
08-21-2013, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

just DON'T buy it back.
08-21-2013, 11:30 PM - 2 Likes   #45
Veteran Member

He's not the best photographer, cough, but I'm not going to fault his choice of subject. I love cats. I think they can make totally awesome subjects and it can be a lot harder to get right than you might think. Cat fur can be a hard thing to expose correctly for, particularly if the cat is black or white or both and of course cats can move at the speed of light seemingly when motivated. Like children they can be very uncooperative subjects.

Getting any pic of my girl cat can be a task and a half actually. In 7 years I've gotten maybe a dozen good ones of her. She hates having her pic taken and won't stay still for more than 5 seconds if that when she sees you with a camera in hand. Plus though she's mostly black her fur has about 3 different shades of brown, and some white and even red mixed in it and if you don't get the light on her in just the right place? The highlights and shadows can be all over the place.

Not everybody like grand landscapes. Those that don't should therefore be barred forever from owning a 645D? That's a very snobby attitude and I'm sorry but I don't agree with it. For all we know this guy could be a novice photographer who inherited a 645D and who hates the idea of it just sitting in a closet gathering dust and so decided to learn to use it. Who knows? But is it my business to care what he shoots with? No.

If everyone with a fancy camera had to be a good photographer to be entitled to own one probably 75% of the people who are keeping the camera companies in business these days would not be allowed to even own a DSLR. I mean let's get real. Maybe 25% of the people who actually buy a change lens digital camera these days actually know what they are doing from the moment they pick one up. The rest? They're just trying out their first DSLR and taking family snapshots with them. Yes, they're photographing their kids, their pets, flowers in the backyard, stuff like that. More power to them if it keeps Pentax in business I'm fine with that.

Not everybody who owns a DSLR has to be a superstar photographer and IMHO it's absurd to get all riled up over a guy taking pics of something he likes with a fancier camera than he probably needs. Oh wait, that's probably a lot of the newer people on this board, now isn't it? I mean how many people out there actually have a K5 or even a K5II as their first DSLR? How many pics of normal stuff like kids and flowers and yes, PETS so we see posted every day on this forum? How many "first" shots with the new cameras are, PETS? Well gee it's rather a lot isn't it? Suddenly that guy's obsession with photographing a few dozen neighborhood cats seems a lot more in perspective now doesn't it?

FYI. Other than my clients that actually show up to be photographed the scenery around here isn't all that interesting 99% of the time. Most days I have a standard choice of mostly the same kinds of bugs, tons of little lizards, mostly sea birds, or yes, the local cats. I like photographing birds, but wish there were a bigger variety of them around here than there often is. The lizards are cool and sometime so are the bugs but I'm not a major macro person you can only take so many pics of bugs and lizards and not get bored out of your mind. So that leaves me with photographing my clients, which is mostly old people and kids, sigh, or photographing the neighborhood cats which actually I do like doing, particularly the ferals because there is such a variety here in our local cat colonies and because it's tough to get up close and personal with them.

There are days, many of them when I so miss living in a place like CA. All I had to do there was step outside my door and walk a block and I had so many interesting things to photograph. Here? I could walk for miles and it would be mostly the same thing. Bugs, birds, lizards, some tropical flowers, pretty sunsets, albeit sometimes with boats and beaches, that's about it in terms of any natural scenery available to me. I can't wait to get back to the Pacific Northwest actually with all it's vistas and it's beautiful light but I can't just pack up and go. I'm stuck here for the present because family duty has to take precedence just now.

FYI, some of my "boring cat shots" are actually pretty good and of all my micro stock shots so far they're the ones actually making me a little $$$. If I had a choice? I'd much rather take pics of cats than squirming, screaming kids and fussy, demanding seniors who think that being 80 something entitles them to be verbally abusive to their photographer and to get all their photos practically for free. I love the pet shoots. Pets as clients they're totally stellar. The worst I've ever had happen with a pet is that a dog accidentally peed on the rug he was posing on because he got overexcited. Wish I could say that about my human clients because a lot fo them are a total PITA compared to the cats and dogs I do, laugh.

My point is cats are just as worthy a subject for photography as anything else and you don't know that he has much by way of options otherwise. Those cats they may be the only thing that provides any color to his world. So what if he's using a 645D to do it? I sincerely hope he gets a lot better at it but everybody has to start somewhere and if he wants to photograph nothing but cats for the rest of his life with a 645D then who am I to say he should be doing otherwise? Personally I'd actually rather see really good pics of felines than landscape pics of things like old barns and trees sans leaves, but that's just me I suppose. Most landscape stuff it kind of bores me honestly, but to each his or her own....