Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #1

right angle finder for P67?

has anyone tried the right angle finder for the P67 or P6x7. I am finding that I have difficulty focusing with the standard prism finder that has the micro prism focusing screen. I understand that the waist level finder is supposed to be a bit easier to use. But that doesn't help if you are trying to shoot in the portrait mode. Is the right angle finder a magnifying finder?
thx

08-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frank_E Quote
has anyone tried the right angle finder for the P67 or P6x7. I am finding that I have difficulty focusing with the standard prism finder that has the micro prism focusing screen. I understand that the waist level finder is supposed to be a bit easier to use. But that doesn't help if you are trying to shoot in the portrait mode. Is the right angle finder a magnifying finder?
thx
Welcome to the Pentax Forum!

The 6x7 right angle finder has no magnification. Your other options are the 6x7 Pentaprism magnifier or both the waist level hoods. (Folding & ridged) Both these have magnification.

Checkout the review section for more info:

Miscellaneous - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Pentax 6x7 Viewfinders - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Phil.
08-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
thx
I had trouble focusing the one I bought, until I discovered it had a diopter in the eyepiece. Removed it and all was well. Something to check!
08-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

They can be found on eBay here and there, but watch out for unscupulous dealers (there is one especially) that command astronomical amounts for a simple and relatively inexpensive accessory. The RAF for the 67 bodies is a fixed attachment. If it is bumped or knocked in-situ damage will result to the eyepiece thread. A dioptric correction lens from a Nikon F100 might be a better option if you are having trouble focusing; I found I did not need any additional viewfinder acccessory after a dioptric correction. That said, quite a few Pentax lenses of e.g. f4 can be quite difficult to focus in low light or with a polariser, doubly so with both conditions present.

08-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #5

Original Poster
ok here is an update on my situation

I thought the issue is one of making sure I had the correct diopter
the challenge of course is figuring out what diopter you need
web browsing taught me that one approach is to go into a drug store and experiment with reading glasses
I did one better and when into my optician
I personally am far sighted but also need reading glasses prescription (the joys of being over 60)
and have astigmatism
so I wear progressive bifocals which also correct the astigmatism
learned from my opticians visit that I have to be careful to look into the viewfinder by looking through the lower part of my glasses
but I still felt there was a "diopter correction issue" despite not finding a good set of correction lens during the optician visit

the right angle finder has an adjustable diopter but no magnification
so I find one on ebay. It cost $125 plus $18 shipping to Canada
not cheap but reasonable
purchased it with the assumption that I could "tune in" the correct diopter setting
the unit arrived today
and my assumption was correct
I adjust the diopter setting on the right angle finder and my problem is solved
happy camper
optical issues can get complicated…..

the RAF works in both portrait and landscape modes

Last edited by Frank_E; 08-28-2013 at 09:39 PM.
08-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter

ok here is an update on my situation

I thought the issue is one of making sure I had the correct diopter
the challenge of course is figuring out what diopter you need
web browsing taught me that one approach is to go into a drug store and experiment with reading glasses
I did one better and when into my optician
I personally am far sighted but also need reading glasses prescription (the joys of being over 60)
and have astigmatism
so I wear progressive bifocals which also correct the astigmatism
learned from my opticians visit that I have to be careful to look into the viewfinder by looking through the lower part of my glasses
but I still felt there was a "diopter correction issue" despite not finding a good set of correction lens during the optician visit

the right angle finder has an adjustable diopter but no magnification
so I find one on ebay. It cost $125 plus $18 shipping to Canada
not cheap but reasonable
purchased it with the assumption that I could "tune in" the correct diopter setting
the unit arrived today
and my assumption was correct
I adjust the diopter setting on the right angle finder and my problem is solved
happy camper
optical issues can get complicated…..

the RAF works in both portrait and landscape modes
Good news. The Pentax 67II is the only 6x7 body that has a diopter adjustment. (On the AE prism)

Phil.