Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #1

Pentax 6x7 not firing-need help

A couple of months ago I purchased a Pentax 67 system that came with an old 6x7 body dedicated to a Polaroid NPC back mainly as a throw in. I got a bit excited and decided to start shooting Fuji Pack film for fun. Unfortunately the 6x7 body did not fire even when the battery check was lit with the red light.
I assumed the camera was broken and got rid of it for parts on Ebay but kept the NPC back.
A week ago I purchased another 6x7 body from KEH and have the same issues. I remember reading somewhere that the older bodies needed film in order to fire. Is that true? If true, how do you shoot with the Polaroid back?
Any help would be appreciate it!

Thanks!

08-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I can't say about the Polaroid back but you can shoot a Pentax 6x7 with no film in it. But you need to do something first. Open the back and with, say, your thumb press and turn the dial on top of the winder so it reads some number of exposure other than zero and close the back. Wind and shoot.
08-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Exactly... there is also a key that can be inserted into a particular space. There are explicit instructions in the 6x7 manual. You've got me wondering about the polaroid back - I never realized such a thing existed for the 6x7.. I have to find out more!
08-20-2013, 03:40 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
One would recommend reading completely, the 67 manual before operation as there are many caveats that would serve you well as the operator.

Pentax 67 SLR, Pentax 2 1/4 instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals

08-20-2013, 05:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've seen the Pentax 67 with a polaroid back several times in used camera stores but don't know exactly how it works. If I remember correctly the back is attached in a relatively permanent manner, taking the place of the normal back. As for actual operational procedures, I honestly don't know but would expect someone here does.