Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2013, 05:46 AM   #1

Affordable MF digital options?

Seems the best deal around for digital MF is the 645D. I have some old Hassy film cams I wish I could use with FF digital backs. I would especially like to get a FF 6 mp back for my SWC. I have no interest in cropping the SWC. But no one seems to make anything like that.

With all the old film Hassy's around you would think they could fill the need with something affordable. I have no need for 80mp. Has there ever been any talk about making an affordbale lower mp FF back for the old film Hassy's? ($4000 - $5000)

I shot this with an old RD1 at 6mp.

ArtSlant - Carla and Babydoll

Hi res version is pretty sharp. It makes a decent 13 x 19, so a FF 6 x 6 back in 6 mp would be plenty for me. I would think 6mp would replace film pretty well. But don't know what the exact mp is needed to do the job.

What have you been looking at for MF digital options...backs or cams?

Last edited by Ilovemypentax; 08-26-2013 at 05:55 AM.
08-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hasselblad? Affordable?
08-26-2013, 06:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Full frame 645 and 6X6 sensors are astronomically expensive, and they hold their $20,000 price tags because a sensor that big is always best seen as an investment. For the mean time I would stick with 120 film.
08-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I doubt that 6 Megapixels would replace MF film. The CFV-16 backs used fall into your price range however they are cropped. 120 film is better than it has ever been and even if you are shooting only colour it would take many many rolls to pay for a MF FF back.

Myself I developed 7 rolls of Acros before coming to work, chemical costs was likely less than one dollar for all 7. Some were shot on the SWC, the rest on two different 500 C/M.

Megapixels really depends on how big and how good. When my wife needed to make some 60X80 inch prints she shot with a Fuji MF film camera and a Nikon D3 with the 14-24 lens and all her prints came from the Fuji. 6 would not be good enough to warrent design and manufacture. If a MF FF digital back came out I might be interested but that is easy to say as I doubt that will happen in my lifetime or at least in the next 10 years

08-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

6MP is nowhere near even 645 film resolution, also the sensor size alone (as previously pointed out) restricts low cost options. Another thing to be mindful of is much older MF backs will have technology shortcoming, for example the cheapest Mamiya Digital back is the Valeo Leaf 6MP (that ive seen anyway) but it much also be tethered with an of camera power supply.
Realistically, you could wait until there is a new 645D II and the original may drop into your 'affordable' range of $4000-$5000.
08-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks. The tethered back sounds terrible unless your in the studio. Even then the cord sounds like a pain.

Yes, BW film is doable. C41 I have to mail away. Are they coming out with a 645d ll?
08-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

What's wrong with film? I've a hassy with 3 back and it's awesome. I just shoot 120 film. If you need it fast and can do BW, you can do C41 too. You just need to keep the temperature at steady temperature. There are number of videos on youtube on how to do it.

My crappy scanner gets very nice 24MP scans from the 120 film. I seriously don't expect to get results like that from digital unless I get a loan.

08-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
What's wrong with film? I've a hassy with 3 back and it's awesome. I just shoot 120 film. If you need it fast and can do BW, you can do C41 too. You just need to keep the temperature at steady temperature. There are number of videos on youtube on how to do it.

My crappy scanner gets very nice 24MP scans from the 120 film. I seriously don't expect to get results like that from digital unless I get a loan.
Just a a pain. I did C41 in the 1980's. You got to buy film mail order, send it away or mail away for the chems. I shoots tons of pix and could never hope to keep up.

BUT...do I love the film look.
08-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ilovemypentax Quote
Just a a pain. I did C41 in the 1980's. You got to buy film mail order, send it away or mail away for the chems. I shoots tons of pix and could never hope to keep up.

BUT...do I love the film look.
For me I like the film look. So the extra inconvenience is worth it. To me not having that look and trying to achieve it by spending hours in front of PC is bigger inconvenience.

As for ordering film, just order more at once. I shoot lots and I live in Australia. I buy my film from USA, Germany or Japan in large quantity. My freezer is fully packed with film at the moment.

I think in USA there are pro labs which develop, scan and upload. The scanned images are uploaded to a server where you can download them. This way you don't have to wait for CDs etc... I think Richard Photo Lab is quite famous for that.
08-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #10

Original Poster
OK, will look into it. You have it worse than me if you have to order from other countries! I just have to get it from BH.