Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

645 Camera bag

I recently got a 645 system (not Pentax, Mamiya) and I was wondering what do people put there 645 gear in and use to carry it around in? Im finding it doesn't fit in my current bag selection. Thanks.

08-28-2013, 05:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Pentax 645 and 645n. I've carried it around in my Pentax Sling Bag Amazon.com: Pentax DSLR Nylon Black Sling Bag: Camera & Photo. The body with an up to 150mm lens goes in the middle, I can get lenses in the top and bottom plus a flim cartridge or two. I think the Mamiya is a bit bigger but not that much bigger. YMMV
08-28-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

645 Camera bag

When I was photographing with a Mamiya MF kit, I actually used one of these (well, a slightly earlier version, this looks like it's an update) for carrying all the gear around. Worked wonders, extremely versatile and roomy.
08-28-2013, 06:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
When I was photographing with a Mamiya MF kit, I actually used one of these (well, a slightly earlier version, this looks like it's an update) for carrying all the gear around. Worked wonders, extremely versatile and roomy.
You're actually not joking are you? lol

Last edited by Louicio; 08-28-2013 at 06:21 AM.
08-28-2013, 06:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
You're actually notjoking are you? lol
Oh, I most certainly am serious. Any other way of carrying 3 MF bodies, almost a dozen lenses, a tripod, and a bucket full of film rolls, will break my back and render most of the stuff inaccessible
08-28-2013, 06:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Haha too funny! Fortunately I only have one body and 2 lenses and a small supply of film lol
08-28-2013, 06:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
Haha too funny! Fortunately I only have one body and 2 lenses and a small supply of film lol
In that case, when I dragged just a small MF body (I know, I know, that's an oxymoron, but a Mamiya 645-1000 was small for MF) and 1-2 lenses, I used a LowePro Magnum (I think it was called) bag that I had laying around. It was sufficiently wide to hold the body + 90mm "nose down" + an extra lens and a few rolls.

My wheeled solution did have one very good advantage: it could hold an ice box with refreshments and lunch also

11-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
In that case, when I dragged just a small MF body (I know, I know, that's an oxymoron, but a Mamiya 645-1000 was small for MF) and 1-2 lenses, I used a LowePro Magnum (I think it was called) bag that I had laying around. It was sufficiently wide to hold the body + 90mm "nose down" + an extra lens and a few rolls.

My wheeled solution did have one very good advantage: it could hold an ice box with refreshments and lunch also
i have a backpack style bag that holds --the body,a 200mm fa lens,a 75mm fa lens,a 45mm lens,a 1.4 teleconverter and a spare battery.
11-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #9

An entire industry is living off photographers finding answers to your question. For my own use, I have settled with two types of camera bags for medium format gear. The Lowepro Vertex 200 or 300AW backpacks have worked well for me for larger equipment, i.e. one body and several lenses and accessories. I am also a big fan of the ThinkTank Retrospective 30 (hope I am getting the number correct). These are ideal for a body with three lenses, one of them attached. E.g. for the 645D a 35mm FA, a 120mm FA, and a 300mm FA or a 25mm DA, a 90mm D FA, and a 300mm FA. For my Hy6 this would be the 40mm, the 90mm, and the 180mm with converter.

Obviously, the backpacks filled with MF gear are heavy, and the Vertex strikes me as a good combination of workmanship and weight. Those Retrospective shoulder bags seem to be just about right to carry a portable combination of camera body and three lenses ready to shoot on my shoulders. Sometimes you need a bigger bag, and the Tamrac UltraPro 13 or the old 12 fits my bill.

I personally find bigger shoulder bags often too heavy for what they are supposed to do, including the very well made Billinghams. Among the backpacks that exceed my weight limit is the Lowe Magnum series. Kata bags have struck me as lacking bottom padding and not providing enough protection for my expensive gear, resulting in broken equipment. They do have some very nice bags to carry lighting equipment and/or exotic macro combinations. Others, such as Naneau Pro, have badly designed shoulder straps that break under the weight of the equipment. Thus, making good choices is important.
11-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #10

I use a top loader style case that will fit the camera with the FA 45-85 attached. That just gets tossed into my backpack, messenger bag or whatever I am using that day. Not the exact model but something like this: Mountainsmith Zoom | Medium - DSLR Bag
11-05-2013, 04:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If you're ok with 2-3 lenses and not a lot of extra film backs, you might be able to use something as unobtrusive as the
. I picked it up recently and find that it works ok for either my P67ii or the P645n. This is the kind of bag that suits those who don't want to look like they're carrying a camera bag.
11-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

the main thing he wanted to know was what we were useing.i'm getting by with what i already have. the best solution, if you have a local camera store. take the camera and equipment you'll be toting and try some bags until you find one that gets it done.
11-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use a Domke Little Bit Bigger bag to hold: 645D with a 75mm attached; 35AF; 120 Macro, 200 AF; flash and filter case. It's a bit too heavy at times with all of the gear loaded. I'm looking for something a bit smaller and lighter. That Think Tank looks appealing.
11-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Bags

Tamrac 759. Tamrac 777. Tamrac cyberpac 8.
11-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I like sling bags which allow a good lens changing area right in front of you when no surfaces are available. The Lowepro Slingshot 300AW works great for me. I can carry my entire 645D rig...body plus 8 or 9 lenses, so it is certainly spacious. The lowepro loops allow adding on of other lowepro lens pouches and other expansion gear, so I can simply slip on a filter pouch or long tele pouch as needed.
Lifetime warranty too.