Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atlnq9 Quote
Not sure what you mean but OK, go for it, hope you have about +500,000USD to invest in the undertaking.
It's a hypothetical statement. Sarcasm runs high here.

QuoteQuote:
With this kind of requirements I am not sure why you would even consider a 645D. No medium format ever made from film to the latest Phase and Hassy units meet this. It sounds like you haven't gotten into a defined market yet and thus haven't chosen the best tool/s you like for your main body of work. Ya know if you ever need that bit of extra for an odd job there is a rental market. Back a number of years ago I rented a Canon 600mm 4.0 on two occasions when I had a need for it. I couldn't justify ownership then as it was a two weeks once a year for two years...
Well thats the thing, I shoot a wide variety. I'm interested in shooting so many things, and I take any job I can get, mostly because I just love shooting.

Most of my jobs are live bands. So a high FPS, low noise high iso, shake reduction system is the most beneficial. K5 right now is the kit that takes care of that.

My second most common shooting is being hired as a secondary for weddings. For that I'm using the D800. But since I'm a secondary shooter, speed isn't of the upmost importance, but image quality is. This is what the 645D would have slotted into

Next is portrait, headshots, children, and babies in my studio, I'm using the D800 for that as well, but the 645D would be great too.

The rental equipment here is just not better than what I got... D800, 5Dmkiii, D7100.... and the lenses are the trio of wide angle, normal, tele zooms.

09-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #32

I think the 645D can shoot very nice portraits assuming you can get them in focus. I have found that to be challenging when the subject is moving around a little. The auto focus system on the 645D is not the best and I don't always trust it. Having said that, I think that the 645 format, and more so the 4:3 aspect ratio is more suitable for portrait compositions without the elongated vertical feel of the 3:2 frame. Some photographers like Steve McCurry seem to do well with with the 3:2 vertical frame, but even then, a lot of the heads in their portraits are small compared to the body. Even environmental portraits with the whole person in frame look kind of to narrow if you don't crop the 3:2. Also, the skin texture/micro detail on the 645D has less of that plastic look you typically get with smaller formats.
09-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by larkis Quote
I think the 645D can shoot very nice portraits assuming you can get them in focus. I have found that to be challenging when the subject is moving around a little. The auto focus system on the 645D is not the best and I don't always trust it. Having said that, I think that the 645 format, and more so the 4:3 aspect ratio is more suitable for portrait compositions without the elongated vertical feel of the 3:2 frame. Some photographers like Steve McCurry seem to do well with with the 3:2 vertical frame, but even then, a lot of the heads in their portraits are small compared to the body. Even environmental portraits with the whole person in frame look kind of to narrow if you don't crop the 3:2. Also, the skin texture/micro detail on the 645D has less of that plastic look you typically get with smaller formats.
Your not helping

I'm gonna build my lenses up first and then look at getting a used one I think