Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
would you do it?

I'm tempted by 645D, very very tempted.

I love my D800, and i really enjoy my OMD EM5. I don't do a lot of video, and most of the video I do I could get away with a GoPro Hero 3 instead of the abilities the D800 gives me. For me, image quality is of the upmost importance over fancy features and video modes.

So... I'm tempted to see how much I can get for the following:

Nikon D800 (10,000 actuations)
Nikon 80-200 f2.8
Nikon 24mm f2.8 D
Nikon 50mm f1.8 G
Nikon 85mm f1.8 G
Nikon SB710 flash gun (x2)
Zeiss 50mm Planar f1.4 (version 2)
Pentax Q (original, no lens)
Olympus OMD EM5
Olympus bodylens cap lens
Olympus 45mm f1.8

I got two K5's, but I doubt I could get enough selling one extra to make a difference. I doubt even including the Q with no lens would get me anywher either.

But would you purge that gear for a 645D?

My D800 is becoming my portrait kit, I do all my portrait work and studio work with my D800 right now, and do very little outdoor shooting because of the weight. I really enjoy the camera and can't stop using it. I also use it for video every once in a while.

the OMD is really enjoyable, it's almost pocketable, and works really well with my K mount lenses.

I use my K5's for live music and low light, I use my OMD for daily, I use my D800 for portrait work. I use a combo for everyday depending on my mood.

If I do this exchange:

K5 would be used for live music, low light, daily use, and pretty much all my personal shooting (like it was before I expanded into OMD and D800). 645D would be used for portrait work or any professional work. Q7 would be used for daily everywhere camera.

So I would still be carrying 3 systems.

I would also need 645 lenses, I only got a A 75mm f2.8 in my collection right now for my original 645.

OR I could continue on my original roadmap:

Tamaron F mount normal f2.8 zoom
Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4
Nikon 135 f2.0 DC
Pentax DA HD Limited 35mm Macro
645 A zoom lens (80-150 I think it is?)
K5 successor (K3? FF?)
DA Limited Zoom (whenever it comes out)

while the whole time saving up trying to put money aside for the 645D.

08-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I love spending other peoples money. Get the 645D and keep all your other gear! But more seriously, though, wouldn't it be wise to wait and see if a new version of the 645D is on the horizon?
08-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I wouldn't. The 645D is big and heavy and old. If they were to step it up to 60-80Mp or something like that, then it would be worth getting over the D800, but in its current form the 645D is only slightly better in terms of image quality, and that's at low ISOs.
Nikon D800E vs. Pentax 645D - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Sounds like you've already got a very flexible kit overall, my recommendation would be to continue investing in lenses (perhaps in the 85mm F1.4G or a Pentax HD limited)

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I wouldn't got with the updated 645D because it will be over $10,000 and in can't justify that unless I go full pro and can write it off on my taxes.

The 85 1.4 G is intriguing... but I think I would rather have one of the DC lenses first.

08-28-2013, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
my approach to situations like this is to start buying lenses... for the camera I'm thinking of possibly getting... in the meanwhile, ideally there's a film body that can use the lenses... If I never make it to the camera, the lenses should have held their value pretty well.
08-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
my approach to situations like this is to start buying lenses... for the camera I'm thinking of possibly getting... in the meanwhile, ideally there's a film body that can use the lenses... If I never make it to the camera, the lenses should have held their value pretty well.
GOOD CALL! I have a few 645 lenses I want for my 645 anyways.

I'm also thinking maybe a 645Nii would be a good acquisition for my colllection.
08-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Though you may not want an updated 645D, the used price of the original would surely be more attractive if a new version comes out.
08-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wouldn't be considering the extra money for the 645NII, not worth the extra cost they demand just for mirror lock up; especially they way the film market is falling...

Look, I love my 645D. It is much more of a pure camera then the Nikon D800. It takes you back much closer to the roots of photography. The way it functions, the user interface, the whole workings of it... And whoever is talking about wanting the next body to have 60-80MP; who really needs that much resolution? Really? Full frame 645 would be nice and if that means 60MP then sure.

Would I sell my 645D and lenses for a Nikon D800; not a chance. So that is a reverse perspective for you. You just have to decide if you would sell the Nikon for a 645D. If I had the spare money would I buy a Nikon D800 and lenses; um, probably not. Too many cameras and system starts complicating things and when you do a lot of traveling it is nowhere near possible to carry everything...

08-29-2013, 07:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

My question is, what is wrong with the D800 and why are you unhappy with it? Sounds like you have major GAS and you will look for another camera once you get 645D.

If you have the lenses, get a film body. I prefer the look of film photos over digital, so it might be nice way to supplement your current photography kit. Also for me, once I started shooting film again, my GAS has stopped. Or maybe I should say slowed down. Since I still would like to own a pentax 67
08-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
My question is, what is wrong with the D800 and why are you unhappy with it? Sounds like you have major GAS and you will look for another camera once you get 645D.

If you have the lenses, get a film body. I prefer the look of film photos over digital, so it might be nice way to supplement your current photography kit. Also for me, once I started shooting film again, my GAS has stopped. Or maybe I should say slowed down. Since I still would like to own a pentax 67
I have only two legit complaints about the D800 - iso button location and buffer size. I also don't like the weight but it comes with the territory. Yes I k ow 645D is a step backward in both legit issues and weight.

The getting a film 645 is what fueled my GAS for a 645D

I'd only purge the D800 to get to the 645

Last edited by Wired; 08-29-2013 at 03:42 PM.
08-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Isn't 645d buffer even smaller? Could be a root of bigger issue.

If you want all out quality, get pentax 67. Personally I think 645 is a bit small.
08-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I'd only purge the D800 to get to the 645
I'll have to check but can't you assign the ISO to one of the two function buttons are in the front? I really don't have a problem with its location at all. Auto ISO is my most frequent setting. And in your studio you don't need a fast camera but one thing the D800 can do is capture way more dynamic action and candid shots than the 645D, IMHO.
08-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
Isn't 645d buffer even smaller? Could be a root of bigger issue.

If you want all out quality, get pentax 67. Personally I think 645 is a bit small.
Yes and no. In trying to use my D800 for the same things as my K5, and sometimes forget the buffer isn't the same.

I wouldn't take the 645D to a live music venue...I do take the D800.

I guess my issue lies with I'm not using my K5 as much as I used to with the introduction of the Nikon or Olympus to my collections. I do however find I use my LX and 645 film cameras considerably more than I used too...

08-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I'll have to check but can't you assign the ISO to one of the two function buttons are in the front? I really don't have a problem with its location at all. Auto ISO is my most frequent setting. And in your studio you don't need a fast camera but one thing the D800 can do is capture way more dynamic action and candid shots than the 645D, IMHO.
You can't. The ISO is not an assignable function. It's my biggest pet peeve. I don't like auto iso mode, I like to keep it set. I find that cameras often make stupid decisions. It's easier for me to keep it full manual and work with the trinity than have to mess with EV compensation. I know what I'm getting in full manual. Then again my history lies with 5 years using an MX before I entered the digital world.

While the 645D would get a lot less use than the d800, it is a finer tool. 645 is a hobby knife, the D800 a trimming knife, the K5 a box cutter, the EM5 a machete, the q is for butter

08-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
You can't. The ISO is not an assignable function. It's my biggest pet peeve.
Yeah, I just checked. I just set auto ISO for my upper limit per scene I enter. Seems something that is hard to not like. Of course YMMV.